5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Twenty-four children: twelve boys, twelve girls, tributes selected by random lottery every year and sent to the capitol city of Panem to compete in a brutal, bloodthirsty fight for survival, with the last participant standing declared champion.

Welcome to the Hunger Games, a grim reminder to those living in the twelve districts comprising what was once the...
Published on Sept. 25 2008 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good
The book was well written and it kept my attention pretty well. Interesting concept and I intend to read the next one.
Published on Jan. 19 2013 by Tammy Rossetti

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wild and Colorful Ride, May 22 2012
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
The book carries the reader swiftly from the start to the end in a futuristic story that has a very personal feel within the framework of a very compelling adventure. It is told in the first person through the eyes of Katniss who gets embroiled in the Hunger Games, an event akin to the ancient Roman gladiator fights in the Coliseum. The arena even has the underground rooms and tunnels like the Coliseum. However, unlike ancient Rome the Hunger Games takes place in the framework of advanced technology with frequent technological surprises along the way. The story of Katniss's participation in the Games reveals the structure of an adversarial society where the aristocrats or oligarchs in the Capitol control those living in the 12 districts. Those in the Capitol hold all the wealth and power and privilege while those in the districts suffer in poverty and food shortages and fear. Like a good adventure story there is plenty of action as well as a web of relationships and interpersonal stories. All these operate within the framework of a society that monitors and controls its citizens very closely.The Griffon Trilogy: Part I

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb story., May 7 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
The Hunger Games took hold of me and didn't let go. I read through it in less than a week and I usually take between 1.5-2 weeks for a book this size. When I wasn't reading it I was thinking about the characters anticipating my next opportunity to sit down and continue their story. This hasn't happened to me since The Game of Thrones.

Collins has done a very good job of creating likeable characters. I found myself caring about them and sharing in their pain, joy and anxiety. The setting of The Hunger Games is disturbing but the characters are inspirational. Twenty four teenagers are thrown into a contrived battle to the death. The concept of this type of game is unsettling but serves to create a great setting. Perfectly designed to create compelling drama. I was intrigued by each character's sometimes subtle contempt for their role in the Games.

This is a brilliant story with compelling characters that I could not help but like. Anyone who enjoys a good bit of fiction should enjoy this. It has drama, violence (not terribly graphic), good character development and a little romance. Once you read the first page you will not want to stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Dec 23 2010
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Okay, to start off with... I think that if "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean George, "The Uglies" series by Scott Westerfeld, "Shade's Children" by Garth Nix, and "The Giver" by Louis Lowry were to have a child together (don't ask me how four books could have a child together, I am not a rocket scientist, I am a mere book blogger ;) ), this book would be the result (plus with a little bit of "The Truman Show" film thrown into the genetic mixture).

When I first picked up this book and started reading it, I noticed that the writing of the book isn't similar to anything I have ever read before. It doesn't flow quite like the girly paranormal stories I gravitate towards (ie. "Paranormalcy" and things along those lines). I find the writing to be a lot choppier and blunter, but it fits the premise of the book perfectly, since this book isn't about a happy-go-lucky society, but the epitome of a dystopian society. I'm not going to lie, I didn't adjust to this writing style until a good 30 pages into the book, but now as I read the later books in the series, I don't even notice the difference in writing.

Usually when I read a series where a female character is torn between whether she wants to be with her best friend/ old friend who she can see herself in a relationship with because he is comfortable and safe, versus the new boy who comes into her life who is super mysterious and all, I typically root for the new boy. My philosophy...? If you haven't gotten together in all of the time that you have been friends, why now at this random point in time does he start to show an interest in you? Just because the new boy came along and he feels like he needs to stake his claim? Therefore I am quite surprised at my reaction to this book. I seriously don't know who I want Katniss to end up with... Gale or Peeta... And also, I have read tons of reviews and plot summaries of this book, but it completely escapes me who she chooses (so it's nice that it will be a complete surprise to me at the end of the series).

Also, I am rather enjoying that all of the books are out in this series. Usually when I start a series I start when the first book is released and then I have to wait years upon years for the remaining books to be released, so it's just really nice not to have to mope around the house wondering what happens to my favourite characters (it doesn't try my patience).

Usually I am a little iffy towards the secondary characters- a lot of the time I could take them or leave them, however, in this series I find myself liking most, if not all, of the secondary characters and think that they contribute wholeheartedly to the series, especially Haymitch Abernathy. I mean first off, he is a secondary character which is bad in my books, then he is a drunk, which is even worse in my eyes, but... I cannot help but love him. He means well and does everything in his power to protect Peeta and Katniss, so I can forgive him for all of his vices and faults, plus the man is clearly a genius. And President Coriolanus Snow? Oh gosh... This man makes me so gosh darn angry, but I wouldn't change him at all. He is the most perfect bad guy if I ever did see one and Ru? Well, her fate was probably the hardest to come to terms with- she just seemed like such a little ball of energy. Cinna? Well, I think that if he were a real life person that we would be bffl's.

So all in all, if you like a ton of action and adventure, then this book is clearly for you. Throw in a bit of romance (but not too much/ too cheesy), a unique plot line, and you have the perfect combination for a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs. Q: Book Addict : Visit my blog for newest reviews., Nov. 5 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
'The Hunger Games' is a post-apocalyptic, dystopian novel where the government hosts an annual game. The annual game is a random lottery where twelve boys and twelve girls, one from each district are selected to participate in a life and death battle. The 'Hunger Games' is a televised event used to remind the districts that the Capital exerts the control.

Katniss Everdeen is the narrator of the story. She volunteers to participate in the game when her younger sister Prim is randomly drawn. The two members for District twelve are Katniss and Peeta. Peeta reveals on-air his love for Katiniss which ultimately grabs the attention of the audience. The audience members are permitted to sponsor a child and send gifts throughout the game. Katniss realizes they must uphold the role of star-crossed lovers to maintain their sponsors. She believes this is essential to her survival. When a rule is changed in the game, Peeta and Katniss' relationship becomes even more important.

I thought the plot was unique and interesting. I do enjoy dystopian novels, and I had to begin reading the second book right away. I highly recommend the trilogy, and I understand what all the rave was about. Go, and buy your copy right away, you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dystopian novel!, Oct. 23 2009
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Now I know why people are raving about this book. It was GREAT! the closer I got to the ending of the book, the more excited I got and the more I wanted to just finish reading it and ignore all the distractions around me. Everything about it got my attention. The idea of the games where everybody fights to the death is just so macabre because its' participants are the ages in their teens or a little bit younger. Just the idea of that fits wonderfully to the dystopian theme. Background information regarding how the world came to be like this is explained by Katniss herself as she's the narrator through the novel. She explains how she loses her father in an accident, how after that she became the main supporter of her family, her strenuous relationship with her mother, and her loving protecting relationship with her little sister Prim.

Katniss is a strong character, having come from a hard background, The Hunger Games could have been an easy win for her (of course that's not always the case) of course she goes through a lot of obstacles and still ends up being in a lose lose situation even up to the end. With her background being the way it is, she seems very hostile and hard to approach, even hard to like. That's exactly how I felt about her in the beginning. Not to say I didn't like her, it's just her actions and her words made her very hard to like. I tended to gravitate toward Peeta more. What I really liked is the "relationship" between Peeta and Katniss. Peeta is such a strong, silent type character you can't help but admire him. He is the exact opposite from Katniss yet I feel that they look great together. They are the perfect example of opposites attract. Towards the end though, Katniss seemed more likable and more approachable. She lost that hostility and replaced it with a maturity which seemed to have developed throughout the Games. It was really interesting to see her develop through the novel.

The plot was great and there's no stop in the action which made the plot fly by faster and made you more engrossed into the book. It was very well written, and the characters in it were wonderfully created and well rounded. I loved Peeta and Katniss. The ending made me want to get out and get the second book, I was a little sad at the way it ended and yet the little girl in me wanted a rose colored ending which of course would not really be possible in a dystopian novel. What I really liked about the plot are the sudden twists that came with the Games. The sudden change in the rules, or even the way the game is played out varies from day to day for the contestants so the plot reflected those types of changes as well. You were relaxed one minute, the next minute there was a twist in the plot that left you wanting to scream. Even towards the end I was waiting for some sort of plot twist, I just couldn't trust the way it ended.

Overall an excellent novel. I'm glad I've taken the time to take this out from the library and read it. I don't regret it one bit

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome. period., March 9 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book and i highly recommend it to anyone! there's never a dull moment and it was so hard for me to put the book down to finally go to sleep. it's descriptive and, even though there isn't much dialogue sometimes, you can tell it isn't really needed because it's just that good! it's completely action-packed and witty.

when i first started the book, i must admit that i didn't have high expectations for it, but i was WRONG. this is a book that can actually get you interested within the first few pages, unlike some others where introductions drag on. the ending was a good ending, but it was a little saddening...(i refuse to say "depressing".) and i'm not quite sure what time it takes place in, with all the super high-tech stuff making it seem future-like, but the style of living and the actual hunger games itself making it seem more past-time and old-fashion-like...so i'm a little confused there.

anyway, other than those past two comments, this is a FABULOUS book.

by the way the ending was written, it didn't seem to be possible to have a sequel, but i am so glad that there is going to be!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games, Jan. 5 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is the first book in a trilogy that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The Capitol is a dictatorship that demands each Sector provide one female and one male candidate who are between the ages of twelve and eighteen to fight for life in the "Hunger Games". Only one person of the twenty-four candidates will survive the games; it is a battle for life or death and it is all broadcasted on television for the viewer's pleasure or displeasure if you are the family of one of the contestants.

Katniss is sixteen years old and lives in Sector twelve within the nation of Panem that was once North America. Her twelve year old sister's name is chosen to participate in the games, but Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss has been living her life already on the edge and is well prepared to battle within the games. Peeta the baker's son is the male candidate from Sector 12 and he happens to be infatuated with Katniss, but does she feel the same way?

Peeta and Katniss are portrayed as star-crossed lovers at the games and the audience loves it. Katniss grabs at the chance to increase her odds of surviving the games while Peeta truly does love Katniss; it is not until the end that Katniss realizes that Peeta is not pretending to love her to increase his odds of survival.

This is an intriguing story and young adults will ravishingly read it; my daughter read it within twenty-four hours. She simply could not put it down and the only disappointment she experienced was finding out there is to be two more books and she has to wait until September, 2009 for the second one.

I enjoyed this book and read it quickly and when I was done it was like losing a friend, I do look forward to meeting this friend again in September, 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars the 1776 part in this book, July 7 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
I read this book and I thought it was fantastic, a really good read. Then I went on and read the other two books. after reading the first one and re-reading it again I got a little curious, 74th hunger games, 12 districts, two from each district, so 24 tributes in total. So I decided to see how many had died or had been apart in total for the games. so I times 74 by 24 and it equaled 1776. I thought this was quite odd and just wondering if any body else had seen this. also I read hunger games and philosophy and there was no mention of what I stated above. I also went on and read Gary Allen's book none dare call it conspiracy. page 121 was quite interesting it described in intricate detail a hunger games style world, he even mentions districts and "peace keepers" I would strongly suggest for people out there to read that book as well. also that book came out in 1972 and hunger games came out in 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, July 21 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Loved this whole series, from the unique concept, to the compassion and courage of Katniss, to the details of the homes, community set ups, events and mixed deep emotions the characters deal with each day . Suzanne Collins draws you into this sad but brave new world, making you care about the people and their needs and longings right from page one. Characters are strong and well developed revealing new depths as the story unfolds. I haven't loved a series of books this much in a very long time! A slightly similar book with a strong determined female character for younger readers of 9-13 years of age would be For the Love of Petey....a great summer e-book read for both boys and girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars awe, Feb. 2 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Incredible. Thrilling. Shocking. Sad.

So many different adjectives came to mind as I was reading this incredible tale of a sixteen year old girl who took her younger sister's place in a fatal event. The relationship you build with the characters is one stronger then you could ever imagine when reading a fiction novel.

My eyes grew coated with tears numerous times throughout this story; out of happiness, sadness, shock. It tugs you along an eventful and emotional road, and not once do you want to stop. Not once do you want to put the book down.

I strongly suggest this to any readers who enjoy fiction and suspense, and I hope that more people will discover the talent of Suzanne Collins.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - July 1 2010)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79