5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too
Twenty-four children: twelve boys, twelve girls, tributes selected by random lottery every year and sent to the capitol city of Panem to compete in a brutal, bloodthirsty fight for survival, with the last participant standing declared champion.

Welcome to the Hunger Games, a grim reminder to those living in the twelve districts comprising what was once the...
Published on Sept. 25 2008 by TeensReadToo

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good
The book was well written and it kept my attention pretty well. Interesting concept and I intend to read the next one.
Published 23 months ago by Tammy Rossetti

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games, Jan. 5 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
"The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins is the first book in a trilogy that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world. The Capitol is a dictatorship that demands each Sector provide one female and one male candidate who are between the ages of twelve and eighteen to fight for life in the "Hunger Games". Only one person of the twenty-four candidates will survive the games; it is a battle for life or death and it is all broadcasted on television for the viewer's pleasure or displeasure if you are the family of one of the contestants.

Katniss is sixteen years old and lives in Sector twelve within the nation of Panem that was once North America. Her twelve year old sister's name is chosen to participate in the games, but Katniss volunteers to take her place. Katniss has been living her life already on the edge and is well prepared to battle within the games. Peeta the baker's son is the male candidate from Sector 12 and he happens to be infatuated with Katniss, but does she feel the same way?

Peeta and Katniss are portrayed as star-crossed lovers at the games and the audience loves it. Katniss grabs at the chance to increase her odds of surviving the games while Peeta truly does love Katniss; it is not until the end that Katniss realizes that Peeta is not pretending to love her to increase his odds of survival.

This is an intriguing story and young adults will ravishingly read it; my daughter read it within twenty-four hours. She simply could not put it down and the only disappointment she experienced was finding out there is to be two more books and she has to wait until September, 2009 for the second one.

I enjoyed this book and read it quickly and when I was done it was like losing a friend, I do look forward to meeting this friend again in September, 2009.

5.0 out of 5 stars awe, Feb. 2 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
Incredible. Thrilling. Shocking. Sad.

So many different adjectives came to mind as I was reading this incredible tale of a sixteen year old girl who took her younger sister's place in a fatal event. The relationship you build with the characters is one stronger then you could ever imagine when reading a fiction novel.

My eyes grew coated with tears numerous times throughout this story; out of happiness, sadness, shock. It tugs you along an eventful and emotional road, and not once do you want to stop. Not once do you want to put the book down.

I strongly suggest this to any readers who enjoy fiction and suspense, and I hope that more people will discover the talent of Suzanne Collins.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hunger Games, Oct. 11 2013
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Paperback)
Katniss everdeen is a 16 year old girl who loves her sister more than you can imagine. Times are hard and Katniss's family must fight for survival. The Hunger Games are an unforgettable read. Most people watch the movie before reading the book. That right there is a big mistake. The audience watching the hunger games wants blood and violence. So the directors think okay, lets give them what they want. So they make the movie with blood and violence and the parents of the kids watch it and seeing all that violence their immediate response to their child is "no you cannot watch or read the hunger games they are too violent" period end of story. But what the parents do not think is "hey, maybe the directors of the movie have over done all the violence." If you are thinking that you are right. In full truth the movie is actually way more violent than the books. In the first book there is about six deaths, three of which are slightly violent. let me assure you there is no extreme violence. Okay so yeah Katniss does kill a few people and there are a few other deaths but over all this is not a violent book. The three slightly gory deaths i can think of are when Cato gets attacked by the dogs and Katniss finishes him off in mercy with an arrow, and when Thresh kills Clove with a rock to the head. Another one is when Rue gets stabbed with a spear and dies but that one is more sad then gory. Overall these deaths aren't that bad at all. There is a bit of sadness though. So now that you know there isn't much violence you are going to say "ok but what about the romance?"I have to admit there is quite a bit of romance between Katniss and Peeta. They kiss quite allot. Unlike other books it does not describe the kiss. For example it would say "... it was a long kiss the first one where she and peeta were not sick or dying." frankly I don't think that is too bad. The author is showing romance in a very respectful way. There is no sexual content in this book. The Hunger Games is a great book where Suzanne Collins keeps you suspended every minute. It is a great read suitable for readers age 11 and up. Parental guidance is suggested. If you feel that the Hunger Games is too mature for your child you might want to consider letting them readGregor the Overlander the start of a series also written by Suzanne Collins. this series is a good read for all ages to enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, Jan. 19 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different - loved it!, March 27 2009
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I stumbled across this book by accident and decided to read something that I would normally pass on - science fiction for teens. However, the reviews were intriguing and I was in the mood for a good page-turner. And, I was not disappointed. This is a guaranteed good read. I made the book last for three evenings, but truthfully, I could have gobbled it down in one afternoon. It's original, compelling, and endearing. I found the naming a little awkward, but I loved the heroine, Katniss, regardless of her name. I was thrilled to see that the author is planning a second book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Oct. 8 2014
I liked this book and found myself eager to keep reading on, but I could not relate to Katniss. I really wanted to like her but I found her distant and a little too manipulative. I preferred Peeta as he seemed to have more empathy toward people. This is a nice read as a social commentary about a world where people are obsessed about their looks and status. A good classroom resource. I would have given it a 5 star if I had been able to like the main protagonist more than I did. A well written story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read!, Dec 20 2008
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This book was one of the best books I have read in a long time. It was very well written. I would reccommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adicting, Dec 6 2009
R. M. Taylor "becca28" (Torono, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
I picked up this book as a result of all the excellent reviews on Amazon, and also because Amazon kept recommending it to me. Am I ever glad they constantly send those recommendations because I finally gave in and purchased this book. It was fantastic. It wasn't at all what I expected and it was a definite page turner. This is a MUST read!

Also, pick up the second in the Trilogy: Catching Fire!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerfully written, hauntingly wonderful., Jan. 1 2009
A. Parker (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This is a "must read" book. Not only can I not wait for the movie (which is guaranteed to happen... read it, you'll see why) but I can't believe I have to wait for the next in the series.

Read this book. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!, Dec 19 2009
Lily Swain (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hunger Games (Hardcover)
This is an amazingly captivating novel that can be enjoyed by both adults and teens alike. I highly recommend this book. Once you start reading don't expect to get much done because it will consume all of your time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - July 1 2010)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79