5.0 out of 5 stars A story arc with an intricate web of twists and turns
Published on Aug. 21 2002 by Priscilla Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated
Published on Feb. 3 2002 by L. DeVaudreuil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A story arc with an intricate web of twists and turns, Aug. 21 2002
This review is from: The Star Wars Jedi Apprentice #15: The Death Of Hope (Paperback)
The two Jedi Knights Qui-Gon Jinn and Tahl have made to each other a commitment of love. But now that Tahl has been abducted while on a mission on the planet of Apsolon, Qui-Gon will push himself to the limit to rescue her. Qui-Gon is consumed by dark visions, visions foreseeing something terrible about to happen to Tahl. With his apprentice Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon must rescue Tahl before it's too late. But nothing is easy as both enemies and friends may not be trusted because everyone has something to hide...
"The Death of Hope" is the second book of a three book story arc. By far as most people have mentioned, this book is the most sad and touching story. Again the book focuses mostly on Qui-Gon as he struggles to sort out his feelings and to save his loved one. As you continue reading the story, the true sides of both enemies and friends are revealed. It's very confusing as the Jedis have to sort out what is truth and what are lies. I love the story how no one can be trusted and everyone is a suspect. Please be sure to read "The Ties That Bind" before reading this book. Then after reading this, "The Call to Vengeance" on hand since this book ends in a cliffhanger!
This series explains a lot about how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan first meet. Their beginning is far from simple and all smooth-sailings, which would be pretty monotonous if it was. Though the books are said for ages 9-12, like many other reviewers I agree that the Jedi Apprentice Series are for anybody. Extremely well-written, the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of the main characters are very well put down into words. I also like the different array of humans and aliens which are portrayed, both good and bad.
Plus check out the new Jedi Quest series, dealing with the master and apprentice duo of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. Another Star Wars Series I recommend and like a lot are the Young Jedi Knights series. The stories are about Jacen and Jaina Solo (twins of Han and Leia Solo), and their friends as they journey on the road to becoming Jedi Knights. More on the teenager level of reading. For adult readings, a few selections I enjoy reading are "The Thrawn Trilogy", "Rogue Planet", "The Jedi Academy Trilogy", "The Corellian Trilogy", and "The Truce at Bakura".

3.0 out of 5 stars overrated, Feb. 3 2002
L. DeVaudreuil "Elldee" (New England) - See all my reviews
When I was reading the book I found myself nodding into sleep from the repetitiveness. It dangerously lacked the unique quality the, well, made me like star wars jedi apprentice. I liked the struggle, the plans, and most of all, the unbreakable friendship. Unfortunatly, it added romance, which dilluted the friendship into a pile of gooshy, mushy "Oh god I love her, don't let her die!" Romeo Juliet stuff that I can't stand. THen it went into the long journey where they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then FINALLY something HAPPPENS (YAY!) After that they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then they rode on land speeders, then they slept, then and FINALLY something else happens! (YAY!)Then they did something I would have never guessed, it was amazing. . . they rode on land speeders, BUT DID'T SLEEP. So know we have a few chapters about how obi-wan was feeling his master slip away and about how d@#! tired he was! Oh that's so much BETTER! GOD! I'm surprised that I even gave a single star! It just wasn't like the first 13. They were awsome. I'd give 'em a 6 if I could BUT this one was one of the WORST books I've EVER read in my entire life(which is saying something) The on;y reason I read it was because I had a little bit of hope left, like a firefly on the dark side of the moon that prayed the moon would turn again and let me gaze in marvel at the glistening sun once more. (a little poetic, eh? a red-headed friend of mine with the name of a flower taught me how to write like that) Anyhoo, if you hate my opinion, I don care, but tjis is it.
P.S. Don't steal the firefly thing, I like it and it's MINE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Nov. 2 2001
In spite of the obvious unhappy nature of the plot of this book, it still manages to live up to it's predeccesers as far as plot development and scene description go, and I would say that it even surpasses many of them as far as character development goes. I won't give away the whole book, but basically this book begins almost immediately after Qui-Gon discovered that Tahl had been kidnapped. He and Obi-Wan immediately chase after her captors, their urgency intensified once they realize that the longer they take, the more of a potentially lethal paralyzing drug Balog (Tahl's captor) will pump into her body... Anyway, all else I'll say is that things are NOT what they seem! I noticed some people were irritated that this book focused mostly on Qui-Gon while Obi-Wan faded to the backround. I wonder why this is, since this series has ALWAYS (unlike Young/Junior Jedi Knights and other kiddy Star Wars books) focused almost equally on Obi-Wan (the child) and Qui-Gon (the adult) I always found that to be one of the better aspects of this series, since it provides a wider range of view for the story, and greater oppurtunity for
character development. However, if my fellow Obi-Wan fans would look hard enough, they would see that in fact this book holds more character development for Obi-Wan then ever before. Sure, he gets his leg mashed under a boulder, and messes up a few other times, but where do you think Qui-Gon would have been without Obi-Wan to take up his slack, and take charge of things, and be the master when Qui-Gon's determination to save his beloved gave way to panic? To me, this shows how far he has truly come. Anyway, as to the death of ____, I was quite devestated, but I was also prepared, since she wasn't present in Episode 1, I
could only assume that by then they had broken up (not likely) or ____ had died. Even so, I liked this new twist in the story, and the portrayal of Qui-Gon as a man in love, so I will certainly miss her, being that she was one of my favorite characters. Anyway, I recommend this book to fans of Star Wars in general, particulerly those twelve and under, thought don't get me wrong, those of us who are older (I'm almost sixteen) can love them too! May the Force be with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Awesome Book written by the great Jude Watson!, Oct. 27 2001
"The Death of Hope" picks up right where #14 left off. Qui-Gon Jinn, a Jedi Knight, is enraged when his true love -- fellow Jedi Knight, Tahl -- is kidnapped. Qui-Gon has forbidden himself to tell his Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, about his feelings for Tahl. Qui-Gon takes immediate action to try and rescue Tahl, before it is too late. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have an almost impossible journey trying to track Balog, Tahl's kidnapper -- even with the help of a probe droid. During one of their battles, one of the twins from #14 reveals that she has been following the Jedi and tells them that her other twin was in league with Balog's kind the whole time. To make matters worse, Obi-Wan's leg gets smashed underneath a boulder. The Jedi find friends, who are miners, and they take the Jedi back to give them med help. But Obi-Wan's injury is slowing Qui-Gon down. He can't wait to long, because if he does, he may never see Tahl again. And to their disadvantage, the miners' quarry is under attack by the worst kind of enemies -- the ones that show no mercy. Will Obi-Wan recover from his injury? Will the Jedi and their friends escape the miners' enemy? But the most tantalizing question of all is: Will Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan reach Tahl in time?

4.0 out of 5 stars Role Reversal, Sept. 18 2001
Jude Watson has now produced the fifteenth book in this series, and while not all have been perfect, she has created a great collection. This book is a continuation of the Qui-Gon+Tahl relationship. Emotional ties between Jedi are supposed to be against their code, and when the book closes, Qui-Gon's final statement seems to justify the solitary life a Jedi must personally follow. We already know that Anakin will marry against this particular rule, so reading of Qui-Gon's own experience will lay some history for the act.
Obi-Wan continues to grow in maturity and his judgment once again finds conflict with Qui-Gon's. The first time this happened the consequences for the young apprentice were grave. The first time was also ruled by the emotion of the young apprentice, this time he must deal with a Jedi Master that is consumed with his own deep seeded emotions. One of these is fear, and Master Yoda has made precise statements in the past as to where fear may lead.
This book spends a great deal of time with The Jedi in pursuit, using skills we have not seen before, and as always finding clever ways with which to surmount the obstacles they face. The time until, "Attack Of The Clones" is eight months away. I don't know if this series will carry past that point. Whether it does or does not, Jude Watson has plenty to deal with in coming books and the next film.
As always fun, and this is one of the better installments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, my gosh!!, Oct. 10 2001
This is a confusing and good book. THis book tells how Qui-gon and obi-wan start out on there mission. Obi-wan never seems
to do anything right. It also tells kinda ho wQui-gon and Tahl met. They also find Tahl and she is alive and take her to a med. center, were the med.'s try to keep her alive.... I'm not going to sya any more. This is a devasting and excitng book. Obi-wan gets hurt, Qui-gon faces the most hurtful lost. Obi-wan is really grown up and trys to help his master but he is confused by his master's unsaul behavior. Also during there mission Qui-gon's visions are more intesion. It kinda of tells about qui-gon past. At the end qui-gon's words do't sound like him at all, there is a lot of anger in in his voice and saddness. Obi-wan his so unsure of what to do. I can't wait to find out what qui-gon does to Bogala and the rest of the troop. Each page of this book is unexpeceted. Well read it's good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Death Of Hope, Dec 3 2001
Danger has struck, and nothing is the same anymore. Tahl has been captured by evil forces, and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan must embark to save her in time amidst the troubles of New Apsolon. Ewane's daughter, Eritha, joins them in their quest to stop the evil Balog from domination -- and the mission is more difficult than it seemed. Along the way, Qui-Gon continues to experience haunting visions of a dying Tahl. He fears her death, and becomes more determined than ever to save the Jedi Knight. As the danger grows, Obi-Wan is beginning to sense a new side in his Master. Will he and Qui-Gon prevail in the search -- and stop Balog in time? Jedi Apprentice #15: The Death Of Hope was a powerful addition to the series. Although it is very sad, this one is my favorite one in the series along with The Uncertain Path. I'm sad to see the series ending soon, and the books have gotten better and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book!, Dec 22 2001
"jackel_o" (London, England) - See all my reviews
The best book I've ever read, except for the love part which seems tobe blown out of all proportian. There's nbo need for it I think. As an parent I would not let my children read this book because I found it to be graphic and explicit and it touched upon themes of sexuality and sexual violence. I don't know what the author is playing at, where is George Lucas? He should be writing these books I think since he does such a good job with the movies and film scores. He's make the best author, but he doesn't need this kind of filth being churned out in his name. It's like the Marquee De Sode for kids I read on some website. But it's fun for a consenting adult. Just don't let your kids read it or the suggestive themes between the two Jedis may corrupt. MTYFBWY! (may the force tbe with you!)

5.0 out of 5 stars I worship Jude Watson, Sept. 28 2001
This book was extraordinary. I love the whole series, but this one shines even above all the rest. It was so brilliant and sensitive. The way Jude Watson writes is really unique. It is very emotional and insightful. I have never written a review before but this book was so incredibly breathtaking I feel obligated to tell everyone. I love the way her characters make mistakes and learn from them, and they have real consequences. The plot and the characters in all the books in the series are so intricate, and they are never the same twice. Many authors, when writing a series seem to run out of ideas and the books seem jaded after a while. Not so with these. I strongly recommend them to anyone, any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give it 6 stars!, Oct. 21 2001
Now, you should know that I am a HUGE Star Wars fan and have been reading J.A. ever since it 1st came out and think they are all great. But this one is one of the best I have ever read. It just seemed more real to me. Like how Qui-Gon feels abuot Tahl. Qui-Gon isn't exactly a mushy-gushy kind of guy and the author knows that. She describes his feelings so that they are actully believable. This book also got my emotions running haywire too. One minute you think "Okay, She's gonna be allright." and then I'm yelling at the book, going "No! You can't kill Tahl, you just can't!". It's a rollercoaster ride from the beginning to the end. To sum it up: It's a great book! :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Star Wars Jedi Apprentice #15: The Death Of Hope
The Star Wars Jedi Apprentice #15: The Death Of Hope by Judy Blondell (Paperback - Oct. 1 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01