5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfying Read
Published on May 27 2004 by Ray

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for what it is ... [updated]
In the review I just posted, I suggested looking for books by "Richard M. Peck," but just did a search of Amazon and found the gentleman's name is "Richard Peck," no M. -- sorry for any confusion!
Published on March 9 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfying Read, May 27 2004
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
Unlike most of you that read this book, I never did see the movie, so when I picked this up I knew virtually nothing about the story. Although it does have its suspenseful moments, I would not classify this as a "horror" story. Not a slasher tale, but a VERY emotionally moving tale about the preciousness of life. I found it extremely well written with some rather unexpected plot twists.
As you probably already know, the story is of a young boy named Cole, who claims, "I see dead people", and his therapist, Malcom who believes at first that he is only treating an emotionally disturbed young boy. As a side part of the story Malcom has a wife he deeply loves and is trying to rescue their marriage that he feels has grown cold due to the fact that he has been consumed with his work and not been there for his wife as he was in the early part of their marriage. Any more details and I would spoil the book, so enough said.
This book was published by Scholastic, which would lead one to believe it is a children's book. I am 40 years old and enjoyed it immensely. It kept me up until 2am to finishing it off and now here I sit with bloodshot tired eyes typing this review the morning after.
All ages will enjoy this one.
Thanks for reading,
TRW

5.0 out of 5 stars COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Nov. 14 2002
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
I Love this book so much.I started to see dead people in the end.
I like when he's hiding in his red draped tent.This book is way beter that the movie,because the movie had some flaws.
C.O.O.L.!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for you to read!, Oct. 12 2002
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
It is a scary and touching story about Dr. Malcolm Crowe and Cole Sear. Dr. Crowe is a distinguished child psychologist. Cole is a frightened, confused 8 years old boy, which always see dead people in everywhere. A short time later, Dr Crowe believes what Cole said and tells him to listen to those dead people as they may be needs some help.
As Cole always saw dead people that are really scared, it makes you feel afraid also.You will be consumed by the in-depth descriptions of these lost spirits and how Cole and Dr. Malcolm Crowe deal with them. You will join the way of Cole to find out why these spirits come to him and how he will get rid of them. He touched my heart that he was a small child and facing so many scared dead people and how mature he was. The ending of the story is really surprise. If you don¡t read the book, you really can¡t guess about the ending. I Love this book also I am sure this is a good book for you to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lit Log #6, Sept. 27 2001
"r_simp" (I am from Blankville) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
Do you ever feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up? Does the room ever suddenly get cold for no reason? If it does, that's them, the ghosts that a boy named Cole sees with his sixth sense. You will be consumed by the in-depth descriptions of these lost spirits and how Cole and Dr. Malcom Crowe deal with them. This book will be one of the best that you will ever get the chance to read. You will join Cole in his quest to find out why these spirits come to him and how he will get rid of them. Accompanied by Malcolm on this odd journey of mystery Cole will meet many different people. Have fun reading it.......I see dead people........

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sixth Sense, Jan. 10 2001
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
A great book. It's quick, sweet, and to the point. Cole really touched my heart with how mature he was for such a small child, yet still just a little boy at heart. He carried a talent that could either be horrifying or beautiful. I was so surprised at the end. A lot of people said they predicted the ending around the middle of the book, not me. It was a total shock!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever, Oct. 15 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
If you love scary books and u love the movie The Sixth Sense this is the book for you! It is a boy who needs help he doesn't have many friends and he has a secret he wants to tell you! The only way to figure out his biggest secret is to buy this book! You will read this book over and over again .I know i did! This is a exellent thriller and it will leave you thinking if you have The Sixth Sense ! Three Words : Buy This Book! It is the best!

5.0 out of 5 stars M. Night Shyamalan's THE SIXH SENSE (novelization), Aug. 15 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
Novelizations are tricky. Most are cold marketing ploys worth less than the paper they're printed on. But a rare few are labors of love --- created for fans of the film. Lucky for us, Peter Lerangis of Scholastic Books has made a small, quiet masterpiece that honors the film it adapts, and acts as a wonderful supplement. It's also a breezy, absorbing read. The descriptions of the characters' thoughts and feelings ring very true. Particularly Lynn Sear. She is positively heroic in her devotion to her troubled boy. And Cole's love for her is as profound as his desire to protect her from the horror of his secret. Their story is powerfully rendered here, just like the movie. In fact, the book reads much deeper because you get to "hear" Lynn's inner conflict throughout. And poor, sweet Cole? We understand him even better when we learn what a good Catholic boy he is. He can't lie to his mother. So he throws up a fortress around his worried heart.
Though Lerangis is judicial in what deleted scenes he chooses to adapt, there are some very nice compromises between the script and the finished film. He opens a chapter with an expository but emotional description of the dead men that two of Cole's toy soldiers represent to him. Shyamalan shot this scene with Cole telling Malcolm the story of these two real soldiers but it wasn't seen until the DVD's release. But the best example of Lerangis' economy comes in the hospital scene after Cole has reveals his secret to Malcolm. Shyamalan originally scripted the scene to end with an overhead shot of Cole in bed with oodles of ghosts all around him. It would've been a cool shot, to be sure. But it was forced perspective, too literal. It would've pulled the rug of denial right out from under Malcolm and destroyed the audience's suspension of disbelief. It would have completely nullified the exceptional chill factor of the following sequence where we get our first taste of Cole's terror in the late night invasion of his home by the suicide ghost. Luckily, thanks to Lerangis' deft expository touch, the essence of Shyamalan's idea remains. When Malcolm finally believes Cole and tells him to listen to the spirits that haunt him, Cole tries. But when faced with his most disturbing encounter ever, the poor little girl who's mother made her violently ill until she died, Cole thinks what Dr. Crowe asked of him is impossible. His instincts always told him to run, to get away from the ghosts as fast as possible. He has never stood his ground with one of them before. But we believe that he can draw up his courage and do.
Gotta give props to the writers at Scholastic Books. They get no respect. Kinda like child actors. It's disappointing that Peter Lerangis is not involved in the upcoming book series. I trust him with these characters. He certainly wrote a balanced, entertaining book here. He hit all the movie's high points beautifully. And he flat-out nailed the depth of both the pain and the bond between this mother and this son. Upon Cole's cathartic revelation of his secret to his mother, Lerangis makes us feel the oppressive weight of Lynn's fear being lifted from her soul. He also restored Night's original, beautiful ending and it works.
So curl up on the sofa some rainy afternoon and dive a little deeper into these lives you can't shake from your memory. Have a cup of tea or light the fireplace if you feel a chill. Or was that just the prickly things on the back of your neck...?

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like the movie...., July 27 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
If you liked the movie you should like this book because of course it is based on the movie. I personally love the movie so I was very excited when I found out there was a book. I hope you enjoy it as much as me!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUSPENCE AND A LOT OF ACTION, June 5 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
One of the reasons I bought this book was because of a recommendation from another book review. Another was because of the reviews of the book at Amazon. It seemed that one either loved it or hated it. I wanted to see for myself.I agree with that reader who said that this book is filled with suspence and drama. You may have to read this book several times as there are many twists and turns in the plot. There were too many cuss words for me but all in all its one of the best books I've ever read.I am looking forword to read his next novel. I don't want to spoil this book for you so you should check out other reviews on this book. I recomend that you buy this book and grade it five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, April 9 2000
This review is from: The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization (Paperback)
This book is absoulutly thrilling and chilling. You must read this book! It is a great adaption of the book, and for all you Indians and Hindus out there, it is by Manoj Night Shyamalan, the director and writer of The Sixth Sense!

The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization
The Sixth Sense Movie Novelization by Scholastic Inc (Paperback - March 1 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01