5.0 out of 5 stars It got me reading again!
Published on Feb. 25 2002 by Alvin Tanhehco

3.0 out of 5 stars Will the masonic reading of yesteryear?
The finite setting of superfluous reasonings is the Harry Potter genre which supercedes any such precedence. The wizardry, unbeknownst to all, may be a form of metaphoric affluence, but how can we really know? Can such quasi-repetitious countenance convey far beyond what one may see as detrimental?
Far be it for me to say, but the preemptive notoriety of J.K...
Published on Nov. 22 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars It got me reading again!, Feb. 25 2002
Alvin Tanhehco "kerki" (Kowloon, Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I'm not a kid anymore. I'm an adult now. But somewhere in between childhood and adulthood a curse was cast upon me. I stopped reading. I used to read all sorts of books when I was young (if Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys sound familiar to you, then you'll know roughly how old I am). I read whatever I could get a hold of and it filled me with a sense of wonder and imagination. Reading filled voids during the lonely times, and gave me something to think about during the happy times.
It's kind of ironic that a children's book should make me fall in love with reading again. But this book did the trick. From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, I slowly read the next book in the series, then the next and the next. Each book got progressively thicker, but that didn't matter. The stories come to life with humorous characters and this world of witchcraft and wizardry. I was beginning to imagine again!
After reading the four books in the series, I said to myself "Hey, that wasn't so bad. I wonder why I stopped reading." From that point on, I started with The Hobbit, then The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. Then I saw the movie trailer for The Bourne Identity which stars Matt Damon and I looked for the book it was based on. That led me to explore the world of espionage and international conspiracies according to Robert Ludlum. From here, I realized that I should probably balance my reading between fiction and non-fiction. So I read Good to Great, a business book by Jim Collins (the author of Built to Last), Jack: Straight from the Gut (about Jack Welch, the former CEO of GE), Made in America (about Sam Walton, the founder of WalMart). With a seamingly endless sea of titles to choose from and written by authors I did not know, I started one book at a time from each "famous" (atleast to the world around me) author. I've read current books by John Grisham, Jonathan Kellerman, Sandra Brown, Carol Higgins Clark, Robin Cook, Tess Gerritsen, and many many more. From this sampling, I've developed a sense of what I like and don't like. I've discovered what "formulas" these authors use. All this in a span of 5 months.
I don't even realize how caught up I get when I describe to my friends the books I've read and the books I plan to read. It's truly an indescribable feeling to once again find the passion for reading. And it all started with this simple children's fantasy book.
So would I recommend this book? Wholeheartedly! To kids and adults alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is 5 Stars Enough?, Dec 15 2001
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
Ok, I''l admit it, I was a little skeptical of the "Harry Potter" craze that's been sweeping the world effecting young and old alike. What storyline could possibly be so engrossing that young children would sacrifice Playstaion time to read and adults would flock to bookstores wearing capes, witches hats, and wielding brooms to get the new edition at midnight? Fortunately, the Hogwarts express stops whenever you're ready to get on and I decided to walk through platform 9 3/4 and give it a whirl this last September. I'm an actor an had a lot of downtime in my last show. I went to the library and checked out the first book. Between scenes I picked up the book and read...and read...and read! I nearly missed many entraces as I became evermore fascinated with J.K. Rowling's characters and their magical world. I cleared through the entire series in 2 weeks of downtime during the run. It reads fast, but is delightful for adults and I can only imagine the countless hours of sleep children must miss with their flashlights in hands and bedsheets above their heads. Fantastic, wonderful, amazing...You'll love it and wish you would've started sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Magic, even for the worst of Muggles, Aug. 19 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I was fifteen when I was given the first three Potter books for Christmas. My aunt bought them for me. I unwrapped them, and my heart sank when I saw kids' books in my lap. I, of course, acted thrilled. I had never heard of the Harry Potter series. They remained on my bookshelf, untouched, for months (collecting dust around my vast Stephen King collection).
I think it was in late March or early April when I picked up the Sorcerer's Stone out of sheer boredom and began to read. I finished it the next day. I read the Chamber of Secrets even faster. The Prisoner of Azkaban was finished within a week of the time I opened the first book. Then I read them again. And again. And again. I still remember--I read them NINE times in a row.
I waited impatiently for the fourth to be released. It was that very summer, so my wait wasn't long. Being a longer book (and considering I was on vacation), it took me almost a week to finish it, but I read it about four times in a row.
I've only just finished the fifth book, and it's as magical as the rest. Don't deny yourself the privilege of reading these. If you've known how to read for more than a week, you owe it to yourself.
And don't let the witchcraft stuff scare you if you're religious. I am, too, and it isn't the slightest bit offensive. This is FANTASY, for goodness' sake, not occult textbooks. Give them a try before you decide that they're the work of the devil himself.
Read these. You will be spellbound, no matter what your age. I'm eighteen, macho tough-guy and all that. And I love 'em. You will, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A unique piece of magic, July 31 2003
Ruth-Anne (Northern Ireland,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
While everyone around me threw themselves into the series of Harry Potter books I wasn't interested in them at all.I thought the idea of the book was ridiculous and I wasn't going to waste my time reading them.However,after getting the Philosiphors Stone for Christmas,I read it and loved it instantly.The gripping story of Harry's sudden journey from being a lonely,mistreated boy to the wizard world's most famous wizard for bringing about the downfall of Lord Voldemort is a unique piece of literature.In book we one,we meet all the new characters and travel with Harry on the journey of learning magical education while battling with the ongoing puzzle of the mysterious Philosiphors stone and its whereabouts.
I then went on to read The Chamber of Secrets.It,too proved to be even more gripping and intense than book one.With an exciting and thrilling beginning as Harry escapes narrowly from the clasp of his evil aunt and uncle,we are again,thrown into Harry's journey in Hogwarts.This time,there is something more sinister.A evil,haunting presence is in Hogwarts,supposedly escaped from the legendary Chamber of Secrets.Harry must discover the whereabouts of this Chamber and destroy this evil force before Hogwarts is forced to close down.
The Prisoner of Azkaban proved to be my favourite in the Series so far.Again,a thrilling and epic journey begins when it is globally discovered that Sirius Black has escaped from Azkaban-a wizarding prison and is on the loose-supposedly lurking around Hogwarts.Harry soon learns that this convicted murderer is after him.Things get very intense at Hogwarts until a great discovery is made at the end of the book compete with a gripping finale.
Then,finally,I came to The Goblet of Fire which again,proved to be better than its predecessors.As Harry returns to Hogwarts after a thrilling Quidditch world cup,he is thrown into the legendary and famous Triwizards Tournament in which a member of three wizarding Schools each competes for the prize of one thousand galleons.As Harry competes in the difficult tasks,it becomes clear that someone in Hogwarts intends to hurt Harry,the question is,who?Just as the Triwizard tournamant is about to come to an end,Harry is forced to come face to face with his greatest challenge yet.The finale in this book is greater,more frightening and more gripping than before which closes spectacularly.
These series of books have proved to be much much more than I could have ever imagined and after reading them multiple times,they continue to thrill and captivate me.I recommend you read them,you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect buy for those yet to experience Pottermania, June 24 2006
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you're something of a late-comer to the addiction that is Harry Potter, this boxed set is pretty much a no-brainer. You get the first four books in the series in a very impressive and artistically appealing format, each volume a more than worthy bearer of the magic, fascination, and all-around magical wonder that is Harry Potter, complemented extremely well by the seemingly simple and subdued yet quite telling and well-nigh perfect illustrations of Mary GrandPre. All four of these books are enthralling, and I heartily recommend you do purchase them all at once; it's amazing how long a wait of just a day or two can be if you find yourself finished with one of these volumes and unable to immediately pounce upon the next one in the series. Thrill to the wonder of Hogwarts and its world of magic in The Sorcerer's Stone, delve gleefully into the mysteries contained within the Chamber of Secrets, watch in fascination as the story of The Prisoner of Azkaban is revealed, and then get ready to enjoy the lengthy yet all too short narrative of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, easily the best book in the series thus far and, quite honestly, one of the most compelling, exciting, thoroughly enjoyable novels I have ever read. If you want to know what all of the incredible hype is about, you really owe it to yourself to visit the magical world of Harry Potter, and this boxed set is the perfect avenue by which to enter the realm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you dare put it down!, July 24 2005
WOW- I absolutly FELL IN LOVE with these books, and all because of how good the first one was. Some people may say that if you read the first couple of pages of a book, and it doesn't really "light your fire" then don't bother with the rest. I BEG to differ! The first chapter of Harry Potter #1 might make little sense to one, until you have read farther along into it. I know I didn't really "get it" at first, but I kept reading. So don't listen to those people who say don't bother!
Because this is one of the best series of books ever written. Right up there with "The Hobbit"- that's something big. And for those who are worried about their children learning bad lessons from Harry, about sneaking around, keeping secrets, witchcraft?!?!, ; people, just relax. Don't over anyalse it, (it's a BOOK! not some devil worshipping cult, I still can't get over how some people are so prejeduced against it and won't even read it because they think it will "corrupt their children" and think that Harry Potter will lead them down the not-so-primrosed path. Qualities of loyalty, honour, love, friendship, and good against evil are very prominent, and clear to see in these books.
I think everyone will enjoy these books entirely! They're not just children's books, they're books that everyone can read and benefit from.
If I could rate this book ( and it's series ) as 10 stars, I would!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!!, Oct. 22 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
READ THESE BOOKS I MEAN IT THERE THE BEST BOOKS EVER AND HER BEST BOOK IS NUM.5 BUT DON'T READ IT INTILL YOU'VE READ THE FIRST 4!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best books I've ever read., Oct. 21 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I'm 20 years old and I llove to read and I believe that these four books are some of the books I've ever read. I know alot of people around my age love them too. Actually I've yet to meet anyone thats read them and not at least liked them. my nephew that is six loves the stories as well. My thought to you if you're even thinking to buy these books you're on the right track you'll love them and read them over and over again. The only advice that should be told to anyone about any book really is- read a few pages if you don't seem interested then chances are you will never really get into the book at all. Don't waste your time find something that really lights your fire.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST In Children's Literature, Oct. 8 2003
A. BAHN (North London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
I'll admit it. I didn't want to read the Harry Potter series at first. I bashed it and mocked it. I ridiculed all my friends who were fans of this young wizard. I had spoken, I outright refused to read these books........
Famous last words, eh?
To prepare to see the movies, I decided to read the books. I told my friends that I didn't expect to like them. I wasn't to be easily converted. After reading the first page of 'Philosophers' Stone,' I was hooked. I put off important things to quench my insatiable thirst for these excellant books. Before long, I had read the entire series and considered myself to be a fan of the highest order. I lamented the fact that I had to be in Munich when the 5th book came out, luckily, they sold Englich copies there and I was able to read it while sitting in the Haufbrauhaus. I had the volumous 5th book read in a matter of days.
For those of you who don't like Harry Potter and haven't read them, give them a chance. Don't worry about the fact that you are being a conformist. They are really excellant books and I give them the highest praise and recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Best books I ever could read!", Oct. 5 2003
This review is from: Harry Potter Boxed Set (Hardcover)
J.K Rowling is an amazing writer, her books are great! I couldn't expect better after I finished reading all four of them. Absolutely Brilliant! Best books I ever could read!

Harry Potter Boxed Set
Harry Potter Boxed Set by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - Nov. 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 65.98