5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Lesson!
Published on Feb. 5 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for toddlers, better for preschoolers
Published on April 24 2003 by NK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Lesson!, Feb. 5 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
This is the most precious story about how being different is okay and how you can still be good at something even though you have to go about it a little "differently." I bought this for my 4 yr old son with cerebral palsy who can't walk and he absolutely adores it! "We can all dance if we find the right music." Gerald, who initially was ridiculed by the other animals for being a terrible dancer, gets a little help from a friend in finding the "right music." His dancing is admired by the other animals in the end. My husband demonstrates the different dances with my son as he reads the book to him which my son thoroughly enjoys! We have a very extensive book collection for my son, but this would have to be one of his (and my) all-time favorites. I have also bought several copies of this book for my son's school. The illustrations are the best that I've ever seen in a children's book. Can't recommend this highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Boogie on, Gerald!, Dec 29 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
Gerald the Giraffe is one clumsy animal. He's good at standing still and munching shoots off trees but when he wants to join the other animals at the Jungle Dance, they only laugh at him. Not for long, though. His friend the cricket knows how to play the music that inspires Gerald to dance like John Travolta in his best days. Gerald is transformed because "we all can dance ... when we find music that we love."
"Giraffes Can't Dance" is my personal favorite among Max's books. The story is familiar to many kids who go to kindergarten and learn that their peers can be picky about who belongs to the pack and who does not. In the book, the exuberant illustrations of Guy Parker-Rees take the sting out of Gerald's initial rejection by the other animals. Watching the Rhinos rock'n'roll and the lions "dance a tango that was elegant and bold," balances Gerald's sadness. The emphasis of the story is on Gerald's joyful transformation, anyway. Just read Gerald's jubilant "I am dancing! Yes, I'm dancing! I AM DANCING!" with enough liveliness and watch the kids identify with a flying giraffe. After all, the lesson is that you can excel and enjoy who you are even if, at first, the world does not play your tune. With a little help from his friends, Gerald finds out that "sometimes when you're different you just need a different song."
Let me add one short paragraph on Gerald's helpful friends, the cricket and the three small bugs that are hiding on every page. These four little fellows are an ingenious device to soften the impact of the emotional story. Kids are in love with details; once they know what to look for, they will tirelessly search for the bugs and the cricket, and point them out to you. Hint: play dumb and they will have a party.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why we liked this book:, Oct. 17 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
The kindergarten class at Eliza Kelly School liked this book very much. We liked when Gerald did the backwards sommersault in the air. We like to dance too! We also liked the part when Gerald closed his eyes and listened to the sounds of the jungle. The cricket was a good friend to Gerald.
The illustrations were colorful and beautiful.
Gerald is a great dancer!
Kindergarten at
Eliza Kelly School

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this book to my disabled child (4 years old), Nov. 8 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book about a Gerald, a giraffe who attempts to dance at the yearly jungle dance, but shies away from the stage when other animals laugh at him. This book express beautifully how it feels to be different - 'Gerald had never felt so sad and so alone' - and ends on a very positive note: 'Sometimes when you're different, you just need a different song' and 'we all can dance, when we find music that we love.' It was a perfect book to help my child with his feelings towards his weakness.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is something special in all of us, March 16 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
This book is wonderful. It demonstrates, in its storyline and text, that there isn't always just one right way to do something. In other words, we may all have a unique approach. In this case Gerald thinks he's a bad dancer. His negative perception is reinforced by the other jungle animals whom Gerald thinks dances perfectly. The other animals tease Gerald. He doesn't seem to "fit in" with the crowd. Gerald's problem is, he is trying to dance their way. He needs to find his own style.
Good and bad examples abound in real life, and with our guidance they all provide rich learning experiences for our children. Given that, with your guidance, this book imparts to children a) There is often more than one way to do something, b) courage and perseverance pay off, and c) teasing hurts. Not bad for 29 pages of delightful rhyming text and colorful illustrations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay for toddlers, better for preschoolers, April 24 2003
NK "NK" (Philadelphia) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
Cute book about dancing - not an easy topic to find for toddlers who love dancing. Good read-aloud level for 2 year old, nice pictures, easy to follow story and a great John Travolta/Saturday Night Fever pose by Gerald at the end. Includes peer group of animals who laugh at the giraffe for not being able to dance, which is a social concept that I had reservations about exposing to our 2 year old but may be okay for an older preschooler. So, I read it with reservations at first, but it seems to be okay for him. However, he's not enjoying the book as much as I am and hasn't been interested in hearing it much beyond the first couple of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book!, Jan. 2 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Board book)
I chose this easy to read book for my 2 grandsons,ages 3 and one.The sturdy pages will stand many readings.The colorful pages with magnificent illustrations is attractive to small children. But mostly, the story told in rhythmic fashion has a an important lesson that each one of us has value even when we are different. This is the best book I purchased this Christmas. Reasonably priced too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher's Favorite, Aug. 26 2001
Karla (Amarillo, Texas) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
Gerald the giraffe simply wants to fit in with the other animals, but he feels as if he is inadequate because he can't dance like his friends. A wise friend tells him that he must listen for the right music. Gerald realizes that he, too, has the ability to dance. As a kindergarten and Reading Recovery teacher, I look for books that will encourage validation of the child who feels different. I was excited to discover GIRAFFE'S CAN'T DANCE. It was perfect for my teacher staff development introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gerald The Giraffe we Love You!, Nov. 9 2002
Tasha C. Piontek "tabberdabber" (Pewaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
The poetic flow of this beautifully written and illustrated book is amazing. I am not sure who loves this book more, my 3 month old or me! It is so fun to read and even my young son looks bright eyed at the colorfully active and eye-catching pages. I especially like the different points of view the pictures show you, ie: the page where he leaps up into the air and you see him from above and all the animal down below. A great book, I will buy more for friends! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless lesson, Jan. 15 2002
Barbara J. Dolan (San Leandro, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Giraffes Can't Dance (Hardcover)
Although written for children ages 3 to 6, as a middle school librarian, I know my students can also identify with Gerald the Giraffe's insecurities. They know too well how fickle their "friends" can be if they fail to fit in. Learning that everyone can dance when they find the music they love is a lesson that they will revisit many times during their lives...but probably never so simply or beautifully as with Gerald the Giraffe.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Giraffes Can't Dance
Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae (Hardcover - Sept. 1 2001)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71