5.0 out of 5 stars great book, Aug. 28 2010
Ce commentaire est de: Bone #1: Out From Boneville (Paperback)
The bone series is adventurous and funny. It's a page-turner with strong characters and an irresistible plot. It's got magical creatures and an appealing hero who is fighting a powerful and evil enemy who will stop at nothing to regain power. Jeff Smith wrote this book with the idea of creating an epics plot such as The Odyssey or Moby Dick. This book provides a great opportunity to teach about fantasy, epic adventure and mythology. The speeches used by the characters are authentic and reflect the way people speak in real life situation.
As an ESL teacher I found this book very interesting. Comic books are an instant window on the Anglophone worlds that is accessible and familiar to ESL students. This book is funny and will get you reading in no time. I used it in my classroom this year and the kids just loved it. Most of my students bought the other books. Surprisingly kids who did not like reading enjoyed this book. Also, comic books such as bone can help improve reading development for students who struggle with language acquisition as the illustrations provide contextual clues to the meaning of the written narrative. I also used it as a readers' theatre hook, comic stip activities and much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bradley's Review, Oct. 30 2011
Ce commentaire est de: Bone #1: Out From Boneville (Paperback)
I recently read, "Bone of of Boneville" after hearing a lot of positive things about it. I found the book a riot and a few parts made me blush. The story is about 3 white as ghosts cousins: Smiley, Phoney and Fonebone who were kicked from their town after Phoney let is greed run them out into an endless desert.
Things quickly turn for the worse when the cousins get split apart and end up in a valley just as winter swarms in on them. Find out what will happen in this page-turning, gut busting book.
My favourite part was when Fonebone first encounters Thorn and it ends up as 'love at first...ignite!' I recommend this book to all young adult/teens who love suspense, morphed with humour. This is a good book to teach kids about the consequences of being greedy. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Reader Falls Under the Spell of Bone, July 3 2011
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Ce commentaire est de: Bone #1: Out From Boneville (Paperback)
Reason for Reading: One of my goals this year is to finally read this series! So, here I go!

Volume One of the Bone series was everything I had hoped it would be. This has been on my must read list ever since Scholastic came out with the colourized editions, so that would make it six years of getting around to it. Happy to say I was not disappointed. The characters are adorable. The writing is funny, even witty, and an interesting journey has begun with a bad guy after one of our heroes for unknown reasons at this point.

The Bone cousins, Phoney, Fone and Smiley have been run out of Boneville, crossed the desert, get lost in the mountains and are separated. We follow Fone Bone, who I believe is our hero, as he is certainly the most likable of the three, as he finds a valley and meets the people and creatures there while he searches for his missing cousins. So far my favourite characters are Fone, of course, Ted the bug, Gran'ma Ben and the Red Dragon. Sometimes when one has heard nothing but praise for a book (or series) over the years, once you actually get to reading it yourself there is a bit of a letdown. I'm pleased to say that Bone, from the start, has lived up to it's expectations. Can't wait to start reading Vol. 2.

Bone #1: Out From Boneville
Bone #1: Out From Boneville by Jeff Smith (Paperback - Feb. 1 2005)
CDN$ 13.99 CDN$ 12.59