summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

I purchased this for my soon to be 9 yr old boy, and as usual, read it first. I'm somewhat disappointed with it, despite the positive reviews. I am not going to give this to my child to read, since he is not into anything that is creepy, and with anything that has monsters in the house!
Let's see- dad dies in front of kids at the start of the book, they move with mom to a decrepit, large, family home, that just so happens to have something lurking and watching them..they get attacked by monster octopus who swallows mom, and they find themselves shut off from our world into an eerie, dark, alternate world. Hence my decision. However, this is just on case by case and if your child likes the thrills and creepy genre, then this may it. However, the narrative is very simple, and not as much as something like graphic novel adaptations of "The Graveyard Book" and "Coraline". In this sense, it is more like manga, and I read the book in about half an hour or less. I had hoped that the art would make up for the story, but sadly, I found it mediocre. Sure it's simple for the kiddos, but for this price, I expected a wee bit more detail. I'm a fan of comics and manga and found this to be average.
on April 20, 2016
They are excellent. My son love them very much.
on October 22, 2014
Great,shipping so fast and book is excellent!
on September 6, 2014
It was OK, but I was a bit disappointed, considering the positive reviews I've read. Not sure I'll get the next one.
on June 19, 2013
Nice story and interesting. Easy to read and interesting for teens and older. Can't wait to see what will happen in the future books.
In fantasy stories, weird old houses always have something secret hidden in them.

And while "The Stonekeeper" starts with the heroine's family arriving at their new home, it doesn't take long for Kazu Kibiushi to bring us into the alternate world of Alledia -- I find the pink bunnies to be a bit distracting, but the grotesque monsters, menacing elves and eerie houses make up for it.

After her father's death, Emily accompanies her mother and brother Navin to a run-down family house -- but as they clean up and try to make it habitable, Emily finds a glowing stone amulet. And that night, Emily's mother is attacked and eaten alive by a tentacled monster, and when Navin and Emily chase it to get her back, they end up in a strange new world.

Even worse, a glowy-eyed elf is following the two children, until they are rescued by a representative of their great-grandfather, who lives in the forest with a gang of little robots. It turns out that Emily's stone amulet has the power to save the entire world of Alledia... and possibly to save her mother as well.

"The Stonekeeper (Amulet, Book 1)" reminds me a lot of Jeff Smith's Bone -- a dramatic, imaginative fantasy graphic novel that is slightly softened by some goofy-looking characters (one of the robots looks like a pink bunny). And it doesn't take long for Kazu Kibuishi to leap headfirst into fast-paced action and little touches of horror.

Actually, his entire approach is very original -- his elves aren't pretty Tolkienesque creatures, but sharp-toothed, glowy-eyed and pallid, and the forests and tunnels are full of tentacled horrors. Kibuishi paints the story in misty blue and gray tones, and adds in some whimsical touches (the floating mushrooms) to remind us that we're in another world. I was a little distracted by the mother's very long head, though.

Emily and Navin are pretty realistic young kids, both before and after their trip to Alledia; they whine and mope occasionally, but try to be strong for their mother's sake. They haven't yet shown what they're presumably capable of, but Emily thwarting the amulet's cruelty means that there may be even more growing up to do.

Be sure to have the second volume of the Amulet series on hand, because "The Stonekeeper" leaves you desperately wanting to know what happens next.
on February 24, 2009
My son brings home books from school every week..this was one of the FIRST books we actually enjoyed together! I picked it up and we read the whole thing in one night!

Now we are searching for a date when Book 2 will come out!!!!

Definitely A++
on April 10, 2008
After the tragic death of their father, Emily and her brother, Navin, move with their mother to a new town to start a brand new life. Their new house is very old and has been in their family for years. Emily is very interested by this old house, particularly one room upstairs in which she finds a beautiful necklace with a very pretty stone in it.

Emily's cool find is soon overshadowed by a very strange first night in the house. After hearing noises in the basement, their mother is kidnapped by a strange creature.

Emily and Navin, with the help of Emily's stone necklace, now have to find their mother and figure out what is going on in this strange new town.

THE STONEKEEPER, the first in the AMULET series, is a quick yet enjoyable read, set up in graphic novel form. The main characters are easy to relate to, and the supporting characters are serious but amusing at the same time. The storyline is interesting and leaves you wanting to know more.

Kids will love seeing people their own age as strong and independent main characters. Emily and Navin are definitely role model material.

Reviewed by: Michaela Pallante aka "Mickey"
on March 12, 2008
Changes in life cause 2 children to move with their mother into the country, to reside in an unoccupied family heirloom of a house. The kids discover a mysterious amulet in their great grandfathers library.

Adventure ensues.

Can't wait for edition 2 to come out!