5.0 out of 5 stars A visual feast. We gorged ourselves..., March 10 2015
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
This was an 8th birthday present to my Star Wars mad son from a family member. My son saw STAR WARS and his face lit up. I saw the name of the paper engineer - Matthew Reinhart - and squealed. That man is a magician with paper! He has outdone himself with this Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy.

Measuring 8"/20.5cmW X 10.25"/26cmH X 2.5"/6.25cmD this is a beautiful book.

It is a feast for the eyes on so many levels. My family and I gorge ourselves on this book. When you open the first page, an Imperial Walker rises from the depths of the snow covered Hoth. But that's not all, there are smaller pages within this big page, and they have pop-up pictures too. In fact, all the main pages have large pop-ups and smaller pages in the periphery with pop-ups within pop-ups! All the images are wonderful illustrations inspired by the famous movies.

Oh, and the text - this is not a re-telling of the story. It is a loving encyclopaedic rendition of the people, characters, animals, vehicles, places, events, geography, galaxy, politics and more - mainly from episodes 4, 5, & 6 - with a sprinkling of information from episodes 1, 2 & 3. The dedication on the back cover gives you an idea of the author's worshipful regard for the creators of Star Wars.

The paper engineering is truly remarkable. I really love how Han Solo is depicted. Every time I open his pages, he rises up, frozen in carbonite, unfolding as I stretch the paper. And that's one small piece of it. This whole book is truly wondrous work. I am blown away.

All the pop-ups work so well from the first page, all the way to the last page which is a true piece de resistance. The masking/unmasking of Darth Vader is compelling. The reveal of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader wielding opposing battery-powered light-sabers is truly entrancing - for me and my kids.

The book is remarkably durable having survived handling by my kids and their visiting friends without mishap.

My recommendation is that this is a book for someone familiar or in love with the Star Wars saga. This is a book to treasure. My son carefully examines it regularly, each time absorbing more information and experiencing again the wonder of the engineering.

This book rarely makes it to our bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pop-Up Book Ever, Jan. 1 2008
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
I highly recommend this pop-up book for any young Star Wars fan. My 6 and half year old son is absolutely thrilled with it. We have been delving into the book every bedtime since we got it and we always have trouble putting it down. The images and pop-up detail are extremely impressive and the writing is concise and interesting. This book is truly a work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye-popping artistry!, April 28 2014
karlfish "Dave" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
Well, thankfully not literally. Star Wars - A Pop-Up Guide is an amazingly designed book, and well worth the money. Don't let the "6 pages" deter you - there are 4 pop-up inlays on each page, and the book itself is massive. So consider this more of a 6 + 6*4 = 30 page pop-up book. The last page features two pop-ups of Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker with light-up lighsabers. Whether you are considering this book for you, your children, or as a gift, this book will surely not disappoint! The paper engineering is superb, down to the full-sized Darth Vader helmet with Anakin's scarred face visible underneath, as you pull open the pages. There are lots of nooks and crannies within the art to explore. The paper is also fairly thick, and resilient to little fingers ripping it. This is my favourite pop up book, ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular in every way!, June 27 2011
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
I have never before seen a pop up book like this. Each page has a main pop up scene which is incredibly detailed. Then there are many, many other pop up characters and vehicles around the edges. The guy who designed this is a pop up artist/genius. Not only are the details amazing but the write-up are good for those of us who enjoy learning the names of all the characters and places. My 12 year old daughter got this for Christmas and everyone she has proudly shown it to has been amazed whether they like Star Wars or not. There is no way you could be disappointed by this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy, Dec 17 2009
V. Brunelle (London, ON) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
This book is fantastic! I purchased it for my boyfriend as a present as he is a fan of Star Wars, but I ended up really enjoying the book too. The details are very intricate and truly amazing. There are several pop up animations with a page. In addition, I didn't realize this based on the above description, but "working lightsabers" means they actually light up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, Sept. 15 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
This is easily one of the most impressive pop-up books I have ever seen...and I've seen my share. My four year old son loves it. He appreciates both the visuals and the well organized content. Heads up though, this is not a story, it's a guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most. Amazing. Thing. Ever., May 6 2011
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
The Bruce Peels Special Collections library at the University of Alberta bought this. If you don't own this yet, shame on you. It's amazing. Awesome. I love it. Protect it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing. But definitely parental assistance required when reading with ..., Nov. 22 2014
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
Have a couple of these Sabuda /Reinhart masterpieces. Amazing. But definitely parental assistance required when reading with young children.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cool!, March 17 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
My nephew loved this book. The light sabres that lit up were the highlight. Very high quality and worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars Star Wars book, March 13 2013
This review is from: Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy (Hardcover)
Bought for my brother in law for his birthday. He was very happy and excited. Loved the books and still does

Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy
Star Wars: A Pop Up Guide to the Galaxy by Matthew Reinhart (Hardcover - Nov. 1 2007)
CDN$ 39.99 CDN$ 25.07