5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story depicting generational love and demands
This story is one of the greatest I have ever read. Starting when I was 10, and now 9 years later, it has been a favorite of mine. The family and all the problems and passions that they go through show the reader how strong families are and how lucky people are to have one. I loved this book and I know everyone eho gives it a chance will, too!!
Published on July 22 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Calling it a page turner is a lie!
Published on July 14 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Calling it a page turner is a lie!, July 14 2003
This review is from: The Golden Cup (Mass Market Paperback)
I had difficulty seeing why this is a page turner. There is no momentum between the chain of events as each happening did not seem inevitable. Instead, it seemed as if the characters were bored so the author had to invent something to keep them busy. Also, the awareness of time is weak. One week could be forever and another 5 years so be just a paragraph. The reader has difficult picturing Hennie (and the other characters) grow and mature and to be aware of any distinct changes. In characters such as Dan, we see the author trying to present two sides of a personality. Unfortunately, it is so badly done that we see it as out of character. Furthermore, the author's attempts at sentimentality and to present inner strength are corny and lame, I had trouble not laughing. Don't waste your money on this book, buy Danielle Steel instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story depicting generational love and demands, July 22 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to Evergreen, Nov. 25 2002
S. Schwartz "romonko" (alberta canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Golden Cup (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved Evergreen, so I enjoyed reading this book that continued the story. Ms. Plain writes family sagas, like no one writes family sagas, and her books are long and detailed as she delves into family history and family issues. I enjoy her writing. This book is as good as Evergreen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to Evergreen, Nov. 25 2002
S. Schwartz "romonko" (alberta canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite author!!, May 23 2002
This review is from: The Golden Cup (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read almost everyone of her books and they are fantastic! I cannot put them down. There are so many twists and turns in her stories I am never bored. Golden Cup is a great read for readers who enjoy family sagas!

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving, Aug. 4 1999
This review is from: The Golden Cup (Mass Market Paperback)
Just another by Belva Plain which I could not put down. Each book I have read authored by her makes me buy another. She does not disappoint.

The Golden Cup
The Golden Cup by Belva Plain (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 1 1987)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92