5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read... with a punch!
I've read Illusions easily 30 or more times. It's a book that should be on everyone's list. And, unless you are a religious zealot, you will surely find the book entertaining and stimulating.
Published on June 14 2004 by Patrick Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars Great?
Published on Feb. 18 2003 by Ashley

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read... with a punch!, June 14 2004
Patrick Cooper "Patrick" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, regardless of the message, the book is very well written and enjoyable. Moreover, it was written long before the "new age" trend and "dime-a-dozen" inspirational stories, so it's not written with the intent to sell you on a new self-help plan.
In this story (as in most of his stories), Bach tries to enlighten readers that maybe life is not as complicated as is often thought. Everyday, from religion to politics, we are constantly presented with the message that life is difficult and you had better follow the highly complex set of rules that governs what you are, where you will go and how you had better get there. In Bach's story, however, the reluctant messiah learns a new perspective. Maybe, he comes to find, he already has the answers to his life, or at least the answers to how to pursue a good life... if he would just stop listening to his pre-conceived ideas of limit and complication.
I highly suggest reading the book. I also highly suggest remembering the book is fiction! Think about the message and concepts. Instead of trying to "vaporize clouds," try maybe to vaporize some of your problems. And, instead of walking the world professing a new faith or perspective on "God" after being inspired by Bach's ideas, try instead to overcome one of your own, preconceived limits, or re-examine what you've been taught about the
Having met Mr. Bach, hearing him speak and reading every one of his books multiple times, I can assure you he is a real person with real ideas. Moreover, I feel sure that he would agree, that he writes "stories" to help people expand their minds. Too often, his work is misinterpreted to be a "gospel." Instead, in my impression, he simply wants to share new ideas, or as he said, "when he get's an idea, it bothers him until he writes it an let's it go..."
We as humans evolve not from one or two ideas, but from a lifetime of learning. Mr. Bach, in my opinion, is one of those highly insightful individuals who has inspired millions to look at life through a slightly different lens. Mr. Bach's Illusions is a fantastic journey - one of many - on the lifelong road of growing as a person.
I hope you enjoy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars du Grandeur le Master de Turkey-dum, April 12 2003
Printed in a format of a notebook journal with handwritten letters, as if written by the main charachter jotting down his encounters with the 'reluctant' messiah... this rubbish is a whole lot of hogwash if you'd ask me. The author holds no ground for any realistic value incredibly about whatever is written going down in the book so sadly, that it makes the LooneyTune charachters more tangibly believable than the no-directional blabber that this book has- it would make you feel at loss for words to describe its degree of far-fetched Cooper-in-Wonderland(?) sort of "story". It has the equivalent of a person who picks up a bucket of paint and then splashes it on a blank wall and then afterwards would find the nerve to call himself an artist.
The bottomline is: Anyone could've written this book or anything like this. If you think that this is quite fancy enough for a good read of some healthy doze of intellectualism to stimulate your brains, well you might as well talk to a person in the psycho ward and broaden your horizons.
This time waster is totally shallow, and perhaps its seemingly inventive format only signifies its pretension. Most (I said MOST ok?) people whom i find to appreciate this book are trendsetters, and are either both not serious readers and are only into (making) fashionable appearances about themselves.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great?, Feb. 18 2003
I'm not sure I'm as fond of this book as so many others are. Although I know that this story is not written in concrete-that it's not to be taken totally literally, I have some views against it. Messiah is a word I have always taken to mean the blessed son of God, or the deliverer...which I deem as Jesus. I understand that messiah also carries the meaning of a leader that can deliver people from his/her problems. Because of my Christian background, I give credit to only one that can even be considered to be called something so great. So I'm not all for bettering ourselves with the intent to make ourselves perfect-it can't happen. And I'm not necessarily saying this is what Bach was trying to tell everyone to do.
I really like his idea of bettering ourselves...becoming a messiah. It can do everyone a lot of good to think this way-to gain a feeling of personal well-being, and so on. But really, in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's going to take us anywhere. So I am not banging any sort of belief, but as for me I feel while it is good to be a good person and do good deeds, I feel those deeds alone will take us nowhere in life. Therefore I'm not wholly impressed with the emphasis of this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars just awful, March 9 2003
By A Customer
Richard Bach's Illusions is without doubt the worst book I have read in decades.
The book might have played well in the 70s but even that is hard to believe.
This book is an attempt to present biblical wisdom -- a schlocky cross of zen and christianity -- but contains no coherent philosophy. Some of the assertions among the scattered rabbit ...: if you are unhappy, it's your own fault; likewise, if you are sick, poor, miserable in any way; physical limits to your world are the result of your rigid thinking, not any laws of nature; death is a trivial transition from one phase of existence to another.
I would normally stay away from this genre but a book club made me read it. We burned our copies of the book rather than reselling them to spare anyone else the misery of reading this rot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't messiahs do more than make screwdrivers float?, March 11 2003
You can't imagine my relief when I discovered that nobody in my bookgroup liked this book. If they had, I think I would have had to quit that group. This book was shallow and did not do justice to the title of messiah. A true messiah is about much more than making random items float, having vampires materialize out of thin air, and dying a predictable and annoying death. Being a messiah is about being countercultural and addressing the injustices in the world. This book drove me up a wall and it nearly went out the window many times. The only reason I finished it was because we made a promise to finish every book before our meetings. I would have given it a zero star rating, but it didn't go that low.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, April 8 2003
I really don't understand the overwhelming popularity of this book. I mean, what did people actually learn from it? How did it benefit their lives? I think you need to be extremely open-minded to enjoy this book. I thought it was too vague and manipulative - any thinking person can find fault with many of the principles included. Unlike some reviewers, I'm not going to burn it, but neither can I say that it's "A Great Way of Looking at life" as my copy proclaimed.

1.0 out of 5 stars An enormous waste of time, March 10 2003
Steve Grover (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
We read this book for bookclub and, even though it's a quick read, it was nevertheless excrutiating. At the end of the group, I threw my copy in the fire in the small hope that I might save just one person from wasting their time reading this steaming pile. This is hands down the worst book I've ever read - you can get the same life lessons from your average Barney video in far less time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions, Oct. 1 2002
This book sets me free into an optimistic point of view on life. I really did like the fact that even though the whole beginning the Messiah is talking about how he wants to run away from his job and how he doesn't like it. And then, he kind of matchers in a way. While he is teaching Richard the knowledge he has. He starts to understand how he will never be able to ran away from his job till he is done his mission. I loved the part in the book where he goes to that radio talk show and says all he had to say, all his thought. He didn't care if people will understand him, he even knew that they wont, but he still did it with out being scared. And after he had said all that and understood how his gift is important he died which was a symbolic thing that you knew was going to happen. While reading the book I think me myself went trough a transition when the Messiah did. The way he started looking at thing so differently made me too realize all of a sudden how much of an influence one can have on others. This is one of the books that you read over and over. And it makes you gain so much knowledge just from reading it. I love this book and I now gave it to other people to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Thoughts on an Inspirational and Insightful Work, Oct. 1 2002
Denise (Massachusetts USA) - See all my reviews
The book Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach is a very deep and insightful book. It is about an ordinary pilot named Richard who comes upon another man in the same line of work named Donald Shimoda. He comes to realize that Don is the man that is known as the "mechanic messiah", who has decided to quit because he is tired of the crowds of people who don't really care what he has to say, although they seek his help. Therefore, he decides to fly his airplane from place to place and seek nothing but his own happiness. Don and Richard form a strong friendship as Don teaches Richard what he already knows inside of himself. Richard slowly comes to find, with the help of Don, that all of the qualities and abilities of a messiah (such as walking on water and performing other miracles) have been right at his fingertips all along. All he has to do is realize that they are there.
This book is incredibly inspirational because it encourages people to seek peace and happiness within themselves. Don gives Richard a "Messiah's Handbook: Reminders for the Advanced Soul". It provides the reader with profound motivational quotes, allowing the reader to see that they have the power within themselves to achieve their dreams and wishes. It prompts the reader to look at the bright side of things because the "handbook" states that every problem comes with a gift. This "handbook" also stresses the fact that people should not limit themselves.
Illusions: The Adventures of A Reluctant Messiah is a book worth reading. It is a very powerful work in that the reader comes away from it completely inspired and full of new ideas. This book provides a wonderful way to think about life.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Handbook of Life", Sept. 30 2002
steph (Forks, WA USA) - See all my reviews
The book, Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, by Richard Bach is an absolutely amazing piece of writing. It allows you to think for yourself, and by this I mean every single person that reads this book will interpret its meanings differently, which is probably the point Richard Bach is trying to make. This book has actually changed a part of me; the way I look at and think about life. It is difficult to describe how, but I know that the change is for the better. It is absolutely amazing and I would encourage ANYONE who comes across this book to read it a thousand times. It is different every time, depending on what point you are at in your life. However, if you don't already think a little like the way this book is written (there are no limits!), then I would advise you not to expect a change. Whether you believe in what this "Handbook of Life" is trying to testify or not, it is still a great read. Don't pass up any opportunity to buy it or borrow it from a library, and read it!
Suggestion: read this writing with an open mind.

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 10 1989)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92