5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read... with a punch!
I've read Illusions easily 30 or more times. It's a book that should be on everyone's list. And, unless you are a religious zealot, you will surely find the book entertaining and stimulating.
Published on June 14 2004 by Patrick Cooper

1.0 out of 5 stars All the catch phrases with no actual enlightenment
I want to post a review contrary to every one I read here: I don't think this book is really going to help most people on their journey, one, and two, the holly rollers calling this stuff heretical is so ironic I wish I could sit down and chat with each one for an hour, just for entertainment.
Here's my gripe: Yes, the world is fully an illusion. We are all One, and...
Published on Nov. 6 2002 by Greg Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding read... with a punch!, June 14 2004
Patrick Cooper "Patrick" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah (Mass Market Paperback)
First of all, regardless of the message, the book is very well written and enjoyable. Moreover, it was written long before the "new age" trend and "dime-a-dozen" inspirational stories, so it's not written with the intent to sell you on a new self-help plan.
In this story (as in most of his stories), Bach tries to enlighten readers that maybe life is not as complicated as is often thought. Everyday, from religion to politics, we are constantly presented with the message that life is difficult and you had better follow the highly complex set of rules that governs what you are, where you will go and how you had better get there. In Bach's story, however, the reluctant messiah learns a new perspective. Maybe, he comes to find, he already has the answers to his life, or at least the answers to how to pursue a good life... if he would just stop listening to his pre-conceived ideas of limit and complication.
I highly suggest reading the book. I also highly suggest remembering the book is fiction! Think about the message and concepts. Instead of trying to "vaporize clouds," try maybe to vaporize some of your problems. And, instead of walking the world professing a new faith or perspective on "God" after being inspired by Bach's ideas, try instead to overcome one of your own, preconceived limits, or re-examine what you've been taught about the
Having met Mr. Bach, hearing him speak and reading every one of his books multiple times, I can assure you he is a real person with real ideas. Moreover, I feel sure that he would agree, that he writes "stories" to help people expand their minds. Too often, his work is misinterpreted to be a "gospel." Instead, in my impression, he simply wants to share new ideas, or as he said, "when he get's an idea, it bothers him until he writes it an let's it go..."
We as humans evolve not from one or two ideas, but from a lifetime of learning. Mr. Bach, in my opinion, is one of those highly insightful individuals who has inspired millions to look at life through a slightly different lens. Mr. Bach's Illusions is a fantastic journey - one of many - on the lifelong road of growing as a person.
I hope you enjoy it!

1.0 out of 5 stars All the catch phrases with no actual enlightenment, Nov. 6 2002
Greg Connell (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Here's my gripe: Yes, the world is fully an illusion. We are all One, and all of this duality is just a big fat movie to occupy each node of existence with conflict/balance issues for eternity. Great, Rich has written a Hinduism for dummies. But he dumbed it down so much as to make it seem that, hey, all you need to do is REALIZE you're staring at yourself everytime you look at a fellow creature, rock, or phenomenon, and WHA-bam, you'll be able to manipulate the whole mess like Sim City 3000. Miracles, bug-free airplanes, impossible feats of yahda, yahda, yahda. I'm not saying that's impossible--I've witnessed a miracle or two in my time; I'm saying that WE, human beings, mere mortals, though we may perform the very miracles ourselves, cannot, do not, will not, can never do so at the demand of our conflicted minds. When we do something phenomenal, like an athelete, like a musician, like a messiah, it is simply through the QUIETING of the ever-chattering voices in our heads to such a point that the devine will, the will of the universe flows through us. When we flutter like a flag in the wind, rather than the rigid pole, we execute the impossible. We move with rhythms beyond our mortal selves. And without fail, the most unrestricted of these movements never fail to be biblical in their effect on our lives and of those around us.
This is my gripe with the book. It really doesn't address this issue of Self, and the chatter of our minds. In fact, I felt that it glorified, like a Hollywood movie, the X-man quality of enlightenment--just point your palm at the sky, and pow, you COMMAND a miracle! If you walk away from this book thinking, wow! enlightenment, what a thing to shoot for, I wanna be enlightened, I just have to remember: it's all just an illusion! then you're already turning away from what is ALREADY the entire power of the cosmos inside and surrounding yourself. To think of life as an illusion is to denounce just how REAL it all is as well. Sorry, ya'll, there's no 'easy out' for facing both sides of the equation in every respect. It isn't God, it isn't Illusions, and it isn't this book.
If you want a very powerful yet realistically inspirational story about miracles and how they come about, try the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, or for a philosophical breakdown that pretty much tackles every angle of human thought: try Cloud Hidden, by Alan Watts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth a second read., Jan. 30 2014
Interesting turn of events as the two challenge each other. You can feel the understanding of your own potential creep into your brain as the book move forward. Definitely worth another time through.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best, Jan. 23 2014
I read this book 30 years ago and found it very comforting and motivating.
I think it is a must for anyone with a motivational library and very good
to just open once in a while to read a few lines. This book is highly
recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, Dec 5 2013
Simple, clear and deep if you are in the frame of mind for opening it!
I got this as I left my other copy in England whenI moved to Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, Nov. 4 2013
This is a book i keep unhand at all times. Great lessons, great ideals, ideas to live by. I believe everyone can find a part or whole of themselves in these pages.
I've leant this book to many people and each return with the same reaction… a change in perception. Hard to find many books that do that these days.
Sit back and enjoy your flight through this wonderful adventure!

5.0 out of 5 stars don't go by the number of pages, Sept. 7 2010
I read this book 2 years ago (this time bought it for my friend). This is really a small book when one goes by number of pages but, when one start reading it, giving some thought to what is written there... that's quite a revealation. It is kind of a book one should read numerous times (keep learning new things from it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions revealed, Feb. 21 2009
This book is a charming insightful work that should be read along with mark Twain's Letters from the Earth as a part of the eduction of every young person. It was a gift to me. I started to scan it as I drove on the freeway, was captured by its magic, pulled over and read it cover to cove on the shoulder of the highway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illusions The Adventures Af A Reluctant Messiah, May 15 2004
Martin Male (martin @livinglimitlessly.com) - See all my reviews
This book is an esential paert of a library for a person wnating to fully appreciate what life is really about. Such insights as "perspective us eit or loose it ....." This book is the equivalent of myold testament , without the religios guilt trips. Get You won't regret. i hav emost likely given 200 copies away in my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jonathan Livingston Seagull Stuttered, Jan. 15 2004
Daniel Saults (Rolla, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
I can't help but get the vague feeling that Bach wrote this book because not enough people "got" the ideas behind Jonathan Livingston Seagull, to which Illusions has often been called the sequel. I believe "repetition" might be a better word for it. Repeat the same basic lessons and subtext of that book, but add into that stickier and overly complex explanations of the exact same ideas and club people to death with the meaning. If you're bright enough to understand the lessons in the aforementioned book, you're much off better with it. "Illusions" is more or less just pummeling to death with new-age philosophy, and not even philosophy without significant holes. I can't say that it's altogether poorly thought out, or wholly uninteresting, but the resulting sticky, sugary mess of text is just a bit much to stomach.

ARRAY(0xb046ea80)

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah
Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 10 1989)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89