4.0 out of 5 stars British buyers beware!
Finding rhymes by phonetics is something you will appreciate in time, and it really isn't all that hard, even for foreigners like myself. The book is large, well-structured, and has a lot of what we are all looking for: Rhymes. Unfortunately, the rhymes are US English rhymes, which for the UK English speaker (and some Canadians) means:
1. Wrong phonetics for some...
Published on May 3 2002 by Svein Olav Nyberg

1.0 out of 5 stars I want my money back!
Being a lyricist (ck. home.earthlink.net/~paulkruger), I've been using Wood's Unabridged Rhyming Dictionary for so many years the book has begun to fall aprt. (Never realized till a few weeks ago, the edition I have was published in 1943.) It was time to replace it. Or so I thought.
Published on Nov. 18 2002 by Paul Rosner

1.0 out of 5 stars I want my money back!, Nov. 18 2002
Paul Rosner (Los Angeles, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
Clement Wood's genius was to divide each section so that you could see at a glance words which have the same sound (e.g., approved, improved, reproved, etc.) and, therefore, were not true rhymes. So what does this appallingly dreadful edition do? They list all words alphabetically regardless of sound!
No wonder one of the editors is named Bogus.

4.0 out of 5 stars British buyers beware!, May 3 2002
Svein Olav Nyberg "Apeiron" (Grimstad, Norway) - See all my reviews
1. Wrong phonetics for some words. Try as you might with your British ear, "fire" is not where it's supposed to be.
2. Some words are listed as rhymes that simply don't rhyme in UK English.
3. Some UK English rhymes are listed as non-rhymes, like "forge" and "gorge".
But this is of course a problem with all US made rhyming dictionaries. If you are a US buyer, there is no reason for you not to buy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best rhyming dictionary . . . period!, March 19 2000
Every poet needs have three essential tools: 1) a great dictionary, 2) a great thesaurus, and 3) this rhyming dictionary. True, the phonetic format takes some getting used to. True, some of the comments Wood makes in the introduction are condescending and downright insufferable. But the dictionary itself is the most comprehensive one on the market. And the breakdown of words into one, two, and three-syllable formats will save you a lot of time. I also love the fact that the words are listed one per line. That makes navigating the word jungle much less stressful. Oh, and by the way, buy yourself a hardback copy right off the bat. It will save you money in the long run compared to buying the paperback edition over and over again every time you wear it out. Songwriters . . . this means you, too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompetent and Insufferable, Jan. 14 2000
By A Customer
In _The Poet's Craft Book_ that begins this edition, we're treated to an absurd dissertation on why 'north' and 'forth' don't rhyme. In the rhyming dictionary, you won't find 'north' and 'forth' as rhymes either. You will find 'gone' rhymed with 'John' and not with 'dawn.' I don't know what dialect of English the editor speaks, but it isn't mine, and it isn't standard American broadcast English, either. It wouldn't be quite so annoying without the preposterous hautiness of the section on incorrect rhymes in _The Poet's Craft Book_--while the dictionary rhymes 'miniature' and 'moor.'

4.0 out of 5 stars different rhyming schemes, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: The Complete Rhyming Dictionary (Paperback)
this book allows me to see outside the box. I am not used to using such a tool, but will probably find it more and more helpful as I discipline myself to use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars indispensable for any lyricist or songwriter, March 20 2010
Jordan L. Marlin "lyricist in Vegas" (Las Vegas Nevada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Rhyming Dictionary (Paperback)
This is truly an amazing accomplishment by Mr Wood. His work is appreciated by writers everywhere as an indispensable tool for lyric writing and understanding of the mechanics of speech , sound , and the relationship of meter and rhythm. It contains detailed explanation of assonance and metric feet and other vitally important aspects of lyric writing. I use it to help in difficult situations and it is an amazing timesaver as well as inspirational source of ideas. I don't even sit down to write without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of The Best, Oct. 29 2003
The pros may not agree but as a novice lyricist, having never written a song in my life until I began work on my current project, I found this book to be the best of the bunch. I own four others. This one is the most used. The others? Well, they just sit on the shelf collecting dust.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Poet/Song-Writer Bible!, May 22 2001
Michael Mathena "Michael Mathena" (Valley City, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Rhyming Dictionary (Paperback)
Most people can come up with several words that rhyme with any given other word. This book gives you the words you thought of, plus ALL THE OTHERS! Not only does this rhyming dictionary list all of the rhyming sounds and sylables imaginable, but there are phonetic rules (rhyme and reason!) stated, which make the entire matter completely logical. -- This publication is a fantastic tool for song writers. I've used this book for years, it has a prominent eye-level place on my shelf. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unless your Ogden Nash, this book is worth the cash., April 17 2001
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Ogden never needed a book to help him rhyme. But we mortals can use some help occasionally. This is more than just a dictionary; it explains several elements to poetry. They call it the Poet's Craft Book. This is not the only book and I am not about to compare, as this is a five star book in its own right. It is well organized and easy to follow.
If you are a pseudo poet then alas, one day this book may cover your (look it up)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Useful Tool For Any Writer, Sept. 17 2000
This dictionary is an incredible tool for any writer. Whenever you need just that right rhyming solution in a piece you are writing, this will help you. A dictionary of this sort is a bold undertaking for anyone to compile, and my hat is off to the man who put this reference together. I have looked at other attempts at this concept, but I have found this to be the most useful of all. I do not think there is a better reference on the market in this catagory. This should be an absolute must for anyone in the writing profession to have in their reference library.

ARRAY(0xb3e19768)

The Complete Rhyming Dictionary
The Complete Rhyming Dictionary by Clement Wood (Paperback - March 2 1992)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89