5.0 out of 5 stars HOT, HOT ,HOT
After reading several of Henley's books, I've decided that this one is the most provacative.
Great steamy sex scenes as well as a great story.
Published on Oct. 6 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Big a Canvas for Such Small Charactors
Cliche ridden and too predictable. Peppered with graphic sexuality.
Read Anais Nin for better erotica.
Sadly, this author has plumbed the depths of the illiterate. Worse, her women are either infantile in their shape (so much for subverting the child fantasy our fashion media perpetrates) or are so extremely endowed that the fantasy is laughable.
Fatal...
Published on July 30 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in listening to your consciece, June 24 2004
P. (Castries, St Lucia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was such a great read i couldn't wait to leave work to get back to it. I left everything behind just to finish it. The history in this book was indeed well researched and sometimes i even felt like i was in the royal plantagenet court when this story was unfolding. I was a bit disappointed in how the Robert issue was dealt with as well as the story with Joan and Edward- Joan was too trusting. Brianna was too staunch in some cases. Ms Henley really has a very graphic talent- I swear i was at Brianna and Christian's home. Just wished she had added an epilogue.i think Hawkesblood made a very satisfying lover- the best i can imagine- just wished he had taken Brianna from Robert sooner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Big a Canvas for Such Small Charactors, July 30 2003
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
Cliche ridden and too predictable. Peppered with graphic sexuality.
Read Anais Nin for better erotica.
Fatal flaw? Saying "erotic" in your erotic passages. duh!
By the end of the book you want the whole grinning mob to die of the black plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars I used to think this was a great romance novel., July 24 1999
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
I decided to write a paper on Edward the Black Prince, since I like this book so much. After doing some research, I realized that the author had lifted her descriptions of the Battle of Crecy out of Thomas B. Costain's "The Three Edwards." I'm afraid I've lost all respect for her.

1.0 out of 5 stars THE WORST BOOK I EVER READ!!!!, April 8 1999
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the worst book I have ever read. The characters lacked substance. They were very crass and frankly quite dumb. I also felt that Ms. Henley was trying to copy a story I read by Connie Mason called "THE LION'S BRIDE",which was a beautiful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT, HOT ,HOT, Oct. 6 1998
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
Great steamy sex scenes as well as a great story.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow read for me..., Oct. 29 2002
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first VH book and I have mixed feelings about it. It actually took me about a week to read and usually I read a book within a couple of days if I really like it. If I can't put a book down, that's usually a great sign that its an exceptional book. I actually found it hard to keep picking this book up.
First, I did enjoy the historical aspect. The plot was very interesting and packed with action. Unfortunately I found myself more interested in the wars being fought and in the lives of the knights and royals than I did the actual romantic couple. This kept me reading, as well as the fact that I am stubborn and hate to start a book and not finish it.
I picked this book up for the romance and did not find what I wanted. Sure there was lots of earthshattering sex, but the love between them was not believable. Their characters were too perfect... Neither of them had a flaw... and I think that flaws make the characters endearing and believable. While I don't mind a bit of magic in a book if used tactfully, it just didn't seem to add much to the story here.
The romance between Joan and Edward was lovely and though it was intended as a secondary relationship, they were mentioned more than the lead characters and had more chemistry and love between them. I looked forward to reading about their story more than Christian and Brianna's. But truth is that I really didn't *care* about these people or what happened to them. It was basically a passing interest as I tried to get through the book.
Virginia Henley has a nice writing style and she sure knows her history (her books follow it as it really happened), but somehow the depth of her characters felt lacking to me. I won't say I'll never read another of her books, since she likely has better books out there. But definetely not for awhile as I have several others I've been waiting to read written by authors I'm sure of.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow for me, Nov. 2 2001
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
Virginia Henley is a talented writer, but this particular book was one that I kept putting down. Although I was absolutely in love with Christian, I couldn't stand Brianna. I thought she was too flighty. She gave her loyalty to a man who treated her rather questionably and shunned the man that vowed to love her forever. Usually I enjoy a little taste of the supernatural, but the uses in this book just felt out of place. I haven't written Virginia Henley off yet. I have a couple other books of hers to read that have gotten higher ratings than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark&Dangerous, Dec 3 2000
Jordan Summers (AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
I am not one to know what is or is not historically accurate. What I do know is when I love a story. And this particular story I fancy. Maybe it is the description of the dark,dangerous, and sexy hero Hawksblood or maybe it is the fact that Virginia Henley went out on a limb to write two love stories in one book. That alone deserves praise. The sexual tension between the characters is fabulous. And the "magic" that has been applied to the story in the form of visions is helpful in guiding the story along. And the sexual tension is exquisite...not to mention the sex scenes. Keep up the good work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Reader, Sept. 18 2000
SelenaQ13 (Norwalk, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
What was the whole point of this long book? If I'm still asking myself this question after reading 400 pgs Henley has not made me happy! Brianna was unappreciative of all Christian was offering her and I did not feel that she truly loved him. In most books love conquers all and if she was willing to marry Robert because of her guilt - then she didn't really love Christian. And what kind of hero still has his one night stand shagged up in the same house where he and his wife are going to live? Joan had no self-esteem, her whole life revolved around Edward and his wishes. Edward disappointed me greatly when he married Joan off to Holland and then way later wanted to make amends?

3.0 out of 5 stars parts of this annoyed me but it's still a good read, June 15 2000
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is rich in history (however convoluted) and is not the sort of book to breeze through. If you really want to understand the nuances of court life during the reign of Edward III, take your time. But be warned, Henley takes many liberties. She condenses so much history into such a short time. Wars are faught and won, loyalties are divided, etc. in a fraction of the time they actually happened in. The romance between Joan and the Black prince was quite good--but very fictionalized. The fair Maid of Kent was married twice before she and her Prince were together. It was years till they got their peace. There were also 3 other romantic subplots--Adele and Paddy, Ali and Glynis, and Warrick and Sharon.
The hero of this book, Hawksblood is too good to be true. I know this is fiction but tdoes the man ever make a mistake? He is like the James Bond of the middle ages only he's psychic too--possesses 7 senses instead of a mere mortal 5.
He is handsome, strong, brave, honest, trusting, sexy, a consumate lover, sensitive, chivalrous, loyal to a fault, rich beyond imagination, and if that wasn't enough, royal to boot. And does his heroine appreciate this? Nooooo!
Damn, I know this is fiction, but the heroine gave me a headache. She is so bratty and whiny. I wish most real men were half as good as the hero!
They are destined to be together, she has had visions of him all her life (her mother passed the gift of seconf sight on to her--I am so sick of all these psychic heroines!) and when they are together it is always passionate and perfect. (Although I must admit the sex scenes were too too funny and after a while, they got so overdone and boring, I skipped the last few--Henley has a penchant for using the same phrases over and again in her books--if I see the words "male marble hardness" one more time...)
It has it's moments. It is fast paced. The other romances may detract from the primary one but since there wasn't all that much substance to Brianna and Hawksblood's destined thing to begin with, that seemed inevitable. A good read, but not one of this author's best.
Stick with her Elizabethan romances--they are alot more fun to read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Desired
Desired by Virginia Henley (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89