4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in listening to your consciece
Published on June 24 2004 by P.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Big a Canvas for Such Small Charactors
Cliche ridden and too predictable. Peppered with graphic sexuality.
Read Anais Nin for better erotica.
Sadly, this author has plumbed the depths of the illiterate. Worse, her women are either infantile in their shape (so much for subverting the child fantasy our fashion media perpetrates) or are so extremely endowed that the fantasy is laughable.
Fatal...
Published on July 30 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in listening to your consciece, June 24 2004
P. (Castries, St Lucia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was such a great read i couldn't wait to leave work to get back to it. I left everything behind just to finish it. The history in this book was indeed well researched and sometimes i even felt like i was in the royal plantagenet court when this story was unfolding. I was a bit disappointed in how the Robert issue was dealt with as well as the story with Joan and Edward- Joan was too trusting. Brianna was too staunch in some cases. Ms Henley really has a very graphic talent- I swear i was at Brianna and Christian's home. Just wished she had added an epilogue.i think Hawkesblood made a very satisfying lover- the best i can imagine- just wished he had taken Brianna from Robert sooner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Big a Canvas for Such Small Charactors, July 30 2003
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
Cliche ridden and too predictable. Peppered with graphic sexuality.
Read Anais Nin for better erotica.
Fatal flaw? Saying "erotic" in your erotic passages. duh!
By the end of the book you want the whole grinning mob to die of the black plague.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slow read for me..., Oct. 29 2002
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first VH book and I have mixed feelings about it. It actually took me about a week to read and usually I read a book within a couple of days if I really like it. If I can't put a book down, that's usually a great sign that its an exceptional book. I actually found it hard to keep picking this book up.
First, I did enjoy the historical aspect. The plot was very interesting and packed with action. Unfortunately I found myself more interested in the wars being fought and in the lives of the knights and royals than I did the actual romantic couple. This kept me reading, as well as the fact that I am stubborn and hate to start a book and not finish it.
I picked this book up for the romance and did not find what I wanted. Sure there was lots of earthshattering sex, but the love between them was not believable. Their characters were too perfect... Neither of them had a flaw... and I think that flaws make the characters endearing and believable. While I don't mind a bit of magic in a book if used tactfully, it just didn't seem to add much to the story here.
The romance between Joan and Edward was lovely and though it was intended as a secondary relationship, they were mentioned more than the lead characters and had more chemistry and love between them. I looked forward to reading about their story more than Christian and Brianna's. But truth is that I really didn't *care* about these people or what happened to them. It was basically a passing interest as I tried to get through the book.
Virginia Henley has a nice writing style and she sure knows her history (her books follow it as it really happened), but somehow the depth of her characters felt lacking to me. I won't say I'll never read another of her books, since she likely has better books out there. But definetely not for awhile as I have several others I've been waiting to read written by authors I'm sure of.

3.0 out of 5 stars parts of this annoyed me but it's still a good read, June 15 2000
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is rich in history (however convoluted) and is not the sort of book to breeze through. If you really want to understand the nuances of court life during the reign of Edward III, take your time. But be warned, Henley takes many liberties. She condenses so much history into such a short time. Wars are faught and won, loyalties are divided, etc. in a fraction of the time they actually happened in. The romance between Joan and the Black prince was quite good--but very fictionalized. The fair Maid of Kent was married twice before she and her Prince were together. It was years till they got their peace. There were also 3 other romantic subplots--Adele and Paddy, Ali and Glynis, and Warrick and Sharon.
The hero of this book, Hawksblood is too good to be true. I know this is fiction but tdoes the man ever make a mistake? He is like the James Bond of the middle ages only he's psychic too--possesses 7 senses instead of a mere mortal 5.
He is handsome, strong, brave, honest, trusting, sexy, a consumate lover, sensitive, chivalrous, loyal to a fault, rich beyond imagination, and if that wasn't enough, royal to boot. And does his heroine appreciate this? Nooooo!
Damn, I know this is fiction, but the heroine gave me a headache. She is so bratty and whiny. I wish most real men were half as good as the hero!
They are destined to be together, she has had visions of him all her life (her mother passed the gift of seconf sight on to her--I am so sick of all these psychic heroines!) and when they are together it is always passionate and perfect. (Although I must admit the sex scenes were too too funny and after a while, they got so overdone and boring, I skipped the last few--Henley has a penchant for using the same phrases over and again in her books--if I see the words "male marble hardness" one more time...)
It has it's moments. It is fast paced. The other romances may detract from the primary one but since there wasn't all that much substance to Brianna and Hawksblood's destined thing to begin with, that seemed inevitable. A good read, but not one of this author's best.
Stick with her Elizabethan romances--they are alot more fun to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Erotic and Intriguing, April 16 1999
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
I actually read this book a couple of years ago, and I find it is one that I have read and re-read. Christian Hawksblood is mesmerizing, and for those who have reviewed this book and found the characters to be "lacking in substance", I highly disagree. This book was not meant to be a tedious lesson in historical accuracy, it was meant to be bold, romantic and erotic. That is why we read romance novels is it not?! Lighten up and get in the spirit of play (and FANTASY!) Women have always loved bad boys with good hearts and bold ways, no matter what the century. And Christian, with his dark skin, raven hair and mesmerizing aquamarine eyes, outspoken ways, and mystic training of the Knights Templar is a perfect "bad boy" with a pure heart.(Complete with scimitar tatoo!) From the moment he boldly calls Brianna HIS lady upon meeting her, despite her betrothal to his brother, you know the sparks of passion are about to ignite. And they do as he teaches her the ways of love, in body AND soul. You know Brianna belongs with this man. Very erotic, beautiful and romantic too. Very Kama Sutra. This was a great book. Highly enjoyable and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a great love story and a hunky, intelligent and intriguing hero!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Only a Steamy Romance, but History Too, May 19 1998
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
"Desired" has something for everybody--fans of steamy loves scenes will find them in plentiful supply; fans of medievals will find tournaments, battles, and plenty of political scullduggery; fans of historicals will find some plausible (if not 100% accurate) information on that great English house, the Plantagenets. The love story, of course, takes precedence, and it has all of the misunderstandings, the longing looks, the fights and reconciliations, and the intimate wranglings anyone could ask for. So why don't I rate it a 10? For one, I found myself laughing during some of the sex scenes (I won't go in to details) and for another, I found the heroine a stubborn brat for most of the book. It's all well and good for a heroine to be stunningly beautiful, extremely talented, and kind to animals, but when she is annoyingly dense and rude about a perfectly good hero, I feel nothing but annoyed.

1.0 out of 5 stars I used to think this was a great romance novel., July 24 1999
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
I decided to write a paper on Edward the Black Prince, since I like this book so much. After doing some research, I realized that the author had lifted her descriptions of the Battle of Crecy out of Thomas B. Costain's "The Three Edwards." I'm afraid I've lost all respect for her.

1.0 out of 5 stars THE WORST BOOK I EVER READ!!!!, April 8 1999
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the worst book I have ever read. The characters lacked substance. They were very crass and frankly quite dumb. I also felt that Ms. Henley was trying to copy a story I read by Connie Mason called "THE LION'S BRIDE",which was a beautiful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars ROMANCE AT ITS BEST! "DESIRED" WILL TAKE YOUR BREATH AWAY!, July 19 1997
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
Why did I love this book so much? Because every character in this book found "true love". The story centers around Christian and Brianna, but the friendships, loyalties, passions and romance that transpire throughout the course of the book will just make you want to be in love too! A truly fine romance story with an intense plot. This is also about the strong romance between Prince Edward and his "Joan of Kent". Ah, to find a love so strong as Christian and Briana, Prince Edward and Joan, Paddy and Adele, Ali and Glynnis, King Edward and his "Philippa", my gosh this book will take you away to "Dreamland". READ IT, YOU WILL LOVE IT, THE COUPLES WILL MESMERIZE YOU

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Reader, Sept. 18 2000
SelenaQ13 (Norwalk, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Desired (Mass Market Paperback)
What was the whole point of this long book? If I'm still asking myself this question after reading 400 pgs Henley has not made me happy! Brianna was unappreciative of all Christian was offering her and I did not feel that she truly loved him. In most books love conquers all and if she was willing to marry Robert because of her guilt - then she didn't really love Christian. And what kind of hero still has his one night stand shagged up in the same house where he and his wife are going to live? Joan had no self-esteem, her whole life revolved around Edward and his wishes. Edward disappointed me greatly when he married Joan off to Holland and then way later wanted to make amends?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Desired
Desired by Virginia Henley (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92