5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Great
The marriage prize is a great book. One of the best I ever read. It is more intresting because she used real characters. ( Simon, Edward)
Published on Feb. 27 2003 by K. Keyonnie

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE BOOK!!!!!!!
Published on Sept. 30 2000 by Diana catlin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE BOOK!!!!!!!, Sept. 30 2000
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Hardcover)
I absolutaly LOVE Virginia Henley's books. I have read every single one of them and they are my favorite books. Virginia Henley is my favorite author but this book was a HUGE disapointment. First of all, I hated the characters and I never really felt like I knew them. If you loved The Dragon and the Jewel, I suggest that you never read this book. Simon and Eleanor de Montford are in this one, and if you know what happens in history to Simon, you don't really want to hear how he was killed but his godson, and then dismemebered. I don't know about anyone else but I really didn't like hearing about how Simon died after Virginia Henley made you fall in love with him in thw Dragon and the Jewel. I cried the whole last 30 pages of the book beacuse of what happened to Simon and his son! I have never written a bad review before and I hope that this is the last one. Please give me a better book next time Virginia!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointed, Nov. 30 2001
christine (New Hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
Ilove Henleys books but I was upset with this one, I didn't like the fact that Simon and Eleanor were the bad people in this book when they were so strong in their book, and I think everyone loved them and to be grafic about his dealth.I couldn't read this one and the main characters were nothing impressive,I love all her books but was disapointed with this one and would of loved her to stop with the first two.

4.0 out of 5 stars 13th Century England, Civil War & A Great Romance!, Feb. 16 2004
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
Virginia Henley brings 13th century England and King Henry III's court to life, with all its turmoil and strife, in this historical novel about Rosamond Marshall, heiress and ward of Eleanor Plantagenet and Rodger de Leyburn, powerful steward to Prince Edward, the heir to England's throne. Ms. Henley's impeccable research and vivid descriptions bring the reader into this medieval world of conflict, treachery, betrayal, pageantry and true love.
Rosamond Marshall was only a child when she was betrothed to warrior knight de Leyburn. Orphaned at an early age, she grew up in the household of Eleanor Plantagenet and her beloved husband Simon de Montfort. Rosamond was considered to be a rare marriage prize because of her extraordinary beauty and wealth. Reluctant to marry, however, she longed for the love she had never known, but which surrounded her in the de Montforts' marriage. She did not want someone to take her to wife because of her wealth or physical attributes alone. De Leyburn, who had fallen in love with her, sought to woo her and change her mind.
Set against the background of growing civil unrest and eventual civil war, Ms. Henley tells a story of passionate love and provides the reader with an clear and accurate glimpse into medieval history. Ms. Henley, an award-winning author, has written a winner with "The Marriage Prize," the last novel in her Plantagenet Trilogy, which began with "The Falcon And The Flower" and continued in "The Dragon And The Jewel."
JANA

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's the honor?, Jan. 12 2004
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
The lead characters are supposed to be people a reader would care for. However these characters never come across as honorable people. They have no redeaming qualities. Rosamund uses seductively low cut dresses to entice and tease men to get her way. Edward sleeps around with an absolutely disgusting woman. Rodger boasts of his many sexual experiences and prowess in bed. His conniving to make Rosamund fall for him is sad (since Henley illustrates his inner workings to the reader). He never seems interested in Rosamund as a person and life partner; only as a sex partner and dowered bimbo. All lust no love.
I will not touch Eleanor and Simon as characters. I have not read the previous books, but as far as I can tell from this they are more clear cut and defined, straight-forward individuals than the others.
The main characters never develop nor do they better themselves. There are no real twists to their character, no great realizations, no real changes of heart. They are at most bland and wishy-washy. Although actually Rosamund does realize all the things I have said never happen above, it feels as if she doesn't, so blandly realized are the actions on the pages.
Rosamund is most aggravating as the main character. Her stupidity is annoying. Her lack of wit and total acceptance of Rodger in the end is nauseating. Think woman think, where are your brains?! Then again we're not talking the 21st century here so I guess we have to cut her some slack as a woman's options in life were few back then. Nevertheless, if you are looking for some brains, don't look here. Pure romance and trash, vaguely historical if even.

5.0 out of 5 stars A+ Great, Feb. 27 2003
K. Keyonnie - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
Rosemond Marshall was going to marry and man she she hasn't met in about eight years. During a feast at Earl Simon's castle she was once again reunited with her future husband. At once she didn't want any thing to do with him. But Rodger fell in love with her at once. Rosemond was afraid to commit to him. Everyone she loved died. It was rumored that Rodger was having an affair.
He started at once to get her to marry him. Eventually they got married. During which time there was a civil war going on. Between the crown and Earl Simon. She was with Earl Simon and Rodger was pledged to Prince Edward. She had to choose between her guardians( Earl Simon & Elenora)or her husband and father of her child. Finally after Rodger got her to trust him enough. She choose sides with her husband. Later on she became pregant with Rodger's first son. But she didn't want to tell him, because she was afraid of admitting that she cared for husband. She was scared to give birth because she knew that many mother could lose their child during birth. Eventually she gave birth to a son. Then civil war eurpted and Earl Simon was killed. Prince Edwards army won. Edward awarded Rodger title of Earl. She Rosemond became a Countess.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good history, bad romance, Jan. 25 2002
sci-fi-guy "getaname" (Los Angeles, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
Like many readers and fans of Virginia Henley, I was expecting her trademark bawdy, gritty,sensual romance set in a realistic setting. She did a good enough job with all this, with two major exceptions, one of which many reviewers have belabored: the horrific ending of Simon de Montfort from her previous romance The Dragon and the Jewel. The trouble is not so much that Simon is killed off (though this is a big no-no for a romance, even contradictory to its basic premise and purpose), but that he was such a splendidly conceived romantic hero, in my opinion Henley's best, that it was devastating to read of his demise and the dehumanizing way it takes place. To those who excuse that event on the grounds that it was historical, I say that one, romance is not history per se, and even if it were, was it necessary to kill of a living romantic legend in this plot? Why not pull back the plot a bit to avoid committing the ultimate sin of killing off a previous romance hero?
That aside, the bawdiness got out of hand here, as it did in The Pirate and the Pagan and Enslaved. Too much sex and not enough feeling; too many passionate outbursts and not enough realistic dialogue. The histrionics were excessive and wearing after a while. I love the Renaissance for this very quality, its exuberance and pomp, but there has to be a depth to the action and characters, too. King Edward was intriguing but ultimately disappointing, while Roger and Rosamund pale next to Eleanor (whom I liked much less in this version) and Simon de Montfort. Setting them up as the ultimate "power couple" does an incredible disservice to what she achieved as a fiery coming together in The Dragon and the Jewel.
If you are a stickler for romance above historical precision, I recommend you read that novel and skip this one, too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just did not live up to its potential, Aug. 24 2001
Sarah "sssspro" (North East, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
5 Stars for the historical elements of the book 1 star for the characters. I just could not like Rosamund or Rodger. Ms. Henley does a great job of weaving history together. I felt as if I was in England with the weak Henry as king, strong baron leader Simon de Montfort, and a charismatic, strong Prince Edward vying not-so-behind-the-scenes for power. The twists and turns of the nobles and their allegiance to either Simon or Edward was masterfully portrayed. The characterization of Rosamund had me desirous to pound her into the ground and throw the book against a wall. Her childish attitude and conversations with Rodger grated on me. It was like listening to an eighth grade fight. "Did too, Did not". Rodger's adolescent attitude towards her is no better. After running the first time, one would think that Rosamund would be smart enough not to try it again. The story surrounding Rosamund's youth, her brother's death and her traumatic reaction to it was well done as well. It was the dialogue that brought the book down for me. Conversations did not seem fluid or believable but sophomoric and contrived. If you've read the others in the series or enjoy history more than romance, you might want to pick this book up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Finale!, Aug. 17 2001
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
I suggest reading this trilogy in order. PLANTAGENET TRILOGY: THE FALCON AND THE FLOWER........ THE DRAGON AND THE JEWEL....... THE MARRIAGE PRIZE.
Once again, this is the kind of book that is not for everyone. Some might enjoy it to the fullest yet some find it too tedious because of its historical facts. Some might even hate it for the gruesome faith that awaits Simon De Montfort, who I believe everyone loved in THE DRAGON and the JEWEL. I on the otherhand, loved this book. I did find it somewhat a slow read. When I said SLOW read, I didn't mean it to as a derogatory comment. It's somewhat slow for me because I wanted to absorb the historical portion of this book. I wanted to remember the details that way when I do some researched about it, I could compare or differentiate it. I find Pince Edwards character quite intriguing. His friendship to Roger (and Roger's loyalty to him) and the Prince's relationship with Simon De Montfort was all an interesting read. Even the secondary characters, fiction or non-fiction, all piqued my curiosity. Roger and Rosamund's love story was kind of a secondary interest to me. Their romance was a bit simple, too conventional perhaps and is not particularly my top favorite yet I did enjoy them. They have their own spot which I admit added spice to the whole novel.
I was devastated to have finally read the horrific death of Simon De Monfort (Didn't want this to be a spoiler and I wouldn't have mention this part but then others already have...). Even if I already knew by history that this would happend, it seems I was still unprepared. Perhaps it's the way V. Henley wrote it or perhaps it's just cuz I've love Simon and Eleanor in THE DRAGON and THE JEWEL that I sympathize for both of them. They are so much in love that it aches to read such heart wretching moment. I cried and felt so sad for Eleanor and her children. I admired her in TDATJ and seeing her strength here made me admire her even more. Simon's death affected me so much that I thought about it for days afterwards, wishing it would have ended differently. I am a sucker for HAPPY ENDINGS and reading his death didn't particularly suit me well. Had I not read about him in TDATJ, I am sure I wouldn't be this devastated. However, I eventually come to terms with it and have decided that if Virginia Henley rewrote Simon's story differently, this book won't probably affect me this way nor would it leave an impressive mark like it did now. It is amazing how V. Henley challenged her readers this way... to have readers love a character who is to die in the next book. Truly amazing!
After reading Virginia Henley's P. Trilogy, I did some more research about the Plantagenets and learned a lot through the process. I also researched about Simon De Montfort, the Marshals, the De Clares and even the name Roger Leyburn, who is our hero in this book. I made an interesting findings! If a historical romance novel can piqued my interest this strongly for me to do some researching to enhance my knowledge on the matter then I say it's truly a worthy book. I am impress by the way Ms. Henley corporated this trilogy. Full of facts, mixed with her own unique ideas of romantic interlude. Overall, this book is a grand read. Cry, smile and learn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Finale!, Aug. 17 2001
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars THE MARRIAGE PRIZE vows with lust and thrills, Aug. 8 2001
Desmond Chan (Bishan North Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Marriage Prize (Mass Market Paperback)
Rosamund Marshal is betrothed as a marriage prize to the valiant Sir Rodger de Leyburgh - and after an uneventful meeting in the past, Rosamund had matured into a nublie woman who earns the attention of Rodger and he is enchanted by her startling beauty. Their union is however taunted by a raging battle waged by Simon de Monfort whom Rosamund's loyalty is pledged to as her guardian and Prince Edward. As a royal steward to Edward, Rodger has to choose between his friend and mending his marriage vows for he knows Rosamund is a wildfire who will not tolerate his betrayal...
THE MARRIAGE PRIZE, tailored with rich historical details and bawdy sensuality, is stamped with Ms. Henley's regaling style. This story is actually a continuation from its Plantagenet predecessors - the Falcon and the flower and the Dragon and the Jewel, where central characters like Simon de Monfort and Eleanor are wovened into the plot and an abrupt death of Simon in the throes of the battle waged when he joins forces with the barons. Rosamund and Rodger is one hot couple who will stop at nothing to make each other submit to love and it is their passion that makes the read lusty and engaging.
Ms. Henley's writing is infectious and I find her style resplendent - but her string of recent work from A Woman of Passion, The Marriage Prize and her forthcoming THE BORDER HOSTAGE no longer holds that element of surprise like I experience when I read her previous efforts like Enslaved and Seduced. Perhaps her work now becomes too saturated with medieval times and court intrigue - that readers can expect what they are going to get. THE MARRIAGE PRIZE is on safe ground, but a change of style could actually do her talents good.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Marriage Prize
The Marriage Prize by Virginia Henley (Mass Market Paperback - July 3 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01