5.0 out of 5 stars Not my typical Historical Romance
Wow! I was really surprised and thrilled.
It's like reading Downton Abbey, but with sex!
I read this author because I read in a blog that another author, I like, reads her stuff. Funny how we find stuff. I hope this helps authors know where we go to find stuff....
Rock on!
Published 2 months ago by LauraBora

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on May 24 2004 by sue bradley

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my typical Historical Romance, May 30 2014
Wow! I was really surprised and thrilled.
It's like reading Downton Abbey, but with sex!
Rock on!

5.0 out of 5 stars I want more!, May 28 2000
T. Carlson (L.A.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished Potent Pleasures and I'm terribly disappointed - my instinct had been to rush out and buy everything this author had ever written, so you can imagine how frustrating it was to find out I already had! I devoured this novel in 2 days (I was busy or it would have been less).
I understand the hardcover was different and that may account for some of the frustration voiced in other reviews. But the paperback was wonderful. And historically accurate as to settings and characters - anyone who feels otherwise has probably only read the kind of total junk that often passes for period pieces in the romance genre. May I suggest Georgette Heyer and Laura Black as peers of Eloisa?

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it too much, July 2 2004
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a huge fan of romance novels - Quinn, Quick, McNaught and Iris Johansen to name a few. I got this book from the library because of the good reviews here. I couldn't get into it at all. I am not one to point out historical inaccuracies and I don't care too much about that whole aspect so nothing like that really bothered me. Pippa did seem a little vocally advanced for her tender years but whatever.
I didn't get into the romance as much as everyone else here seemed to. I didn't really like the characters. I have the whole set in this series out from the library so I will prabably finish it, but if I thing don't click for me by the end of the series I don't think I will read much more from James?

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 24 2004
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I'd heard a lot about this book and so perhaps I came to it with unfair expectations, but I never really got into it, and by the end I was reading it because I'd started it rather than because I wanted to find out what happened. The characters seemed to act in the way the story demanded, rather than remaining true to themselves, and I wasn't keen on the plot. The writing is light, though, and there are some good moments. I'll give her other books a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, May 24 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful. A page turner., Oct. 4 2003
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
At first I was a little discouraged to buy this book, after reading so many bad reviews, pointing to errors and historical inaccuracy. At the end I decided to buy it based on one reviewer that explained that those errors were only on the hard cover edition, not in the soft cover. Besides, I had already read "Enchanting Pleasures", the third novel in this series, and found it pretty decent. So I decided to take a risk with this one. I'm so glad I did!
This is one of the best novels I have read in a while!
It reminded me somewhat of Judith McNaught's "Something Wonderful", a novel and a writer that I love.
The story is full of passion, love, misunderstanding, jealousy, regrets, and forgiveness. What more can you ask for in a romance novel?
The only error I found is that in one part of the book I read that Charlotte's brother is 25 years old, and in another part, it says that, 3 years later, her mother (who apparently, since there is no mention of a previous marriage, is also his mother)is 41. By that math, she must have had him when she was 13! Not physically impossible maybe, but very improbable.
But that is a very minor mistake, I only noticed it because by coincidence, I had been wondering how old Charlotte's mother would be, since she appeared to be still young, and fun loving and understanding. I had calculated that she must be around 46 at least, based on Charlotte's brother's age. So I was surprised when I read that she was 41.
But this doesn't take away from a story that is heart-wrenchingly beautiful.
If you like a good romance, in the Judith McNaught style, I really recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., May 5 2003
Amanda (RIVERHEAD, NEW YORK, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I borrowed the book from the library reading about how it was from the victorian type era, I had no clue that it was a romance novel. I guess I should have read the flap more intently. Aside from the cheesy romance things it was a decent read. It isn't historically accurate in the least, but who ... cares? If you want accuracy watch the history channel. They call it fiction for a reason.
The author is a decent writer. Its definately worth a shot reading. Kind of a rainy day read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, Feb. 10 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
I am an avid romance reader. After going through every other genre I have have fallen in love with romance novels. This book is one of the many I have read. But unlike some of the others this one is one I will never forget. I have read the only other two by this authour and I recommend them fully, with all me heart. I am constantly searching for more books by Eliose and have yet to see any more. I hope she writes again soon because the a novel can only be savoured for so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new favorite author!, Oct. 11 2001
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
Wow! I really loved these books -- there are three in the series and they are excellent. Eloisa James is a professor of English literature and clearly knows her stuff. Her writing is delightful. She bases her stories on history -- loosely! She creates a complicated but delightful tale. The three books are interwoven with characters that you come to care about quickly. Hope she's working on #4!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great,Great,Great, Aug. 21 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Potent Pleasures (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is great. My sister and I fell in love with this book. It had a wonderful plot. It was a very descriptive novel and had a very good story to it. I did not think it was going to be a good book, because my sister picked it out...but it was evne better than good it was great! So good that I ordered the rest of the series a couple of months later! Eloisa James is an excellant writer and she should never stop writing!

Potent Pleasures
Potent Pleasures by Eloisa James (Mass Market Paperback - May 9 2000)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89