5.0 out of 5 stars A Sit on the Edge of Your Seat Romantic Adventure
Published on July 10 2004 by klpepsi

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly, the worst book I have ever picked up.
Published on Aug. 23 2002 by Mom2kea

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly, the worst book I have ever picked up., Aug. 23 2002
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I had such high hopes for this book. I am a huge Diana Gabaldon fan, and am not above a trashy romance either. I thoroughly enjoyed Julie Garwood's The Bride along with several Judith McNaught novels, but this one was so bad I couldn't get past the third chapter. What prose "..her Jennifer Aniston bangs", "He looked like he'd just walked out of a Gold's Gym" BLECH!! Not to mention vulgar. If I had to listen to her describe her ultimate man as a "cherry-picker" one more time I thought I'd puke. How anyone could describe her as intelligent is beyond me. All I could think of was if she was so hot to lose her virginity, it really couldn't have been that hard to do back home in the USA. Give me a break! I bought this at our local used book store and was so impressed that it looked brand new, like it had never been read. Likely the previous owner couldn't tolerate the poor writing anymore than I could. I'm only glad I only wasted 2.99 on it instead of the full cover price plus shipping! If you want to read a REALLY good time-travel to Scotland book, pick up the Outlander series. If you already have read Outlander, you won't be able to stomach this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sit on the Edge of Your Seat Romantic Adventure, July 10 2004
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Gwen Cassidy was just trying to add a dash of spice to her ho-hum way of life. At twenty-five she has no family left to speak of, she's sick of her job, and there's no man in her life. So she embarks on a group tour of Scotland, but little does she know her trip will lead to the adventure of a lifetime, and then some. While out exploring alone, she stumbles and falls into a cave, directly on top of the sexiest man she's ever laid eyes on. A Highland warrior, who awakens from a nap that has lasted centuries.
Drustan MacKeltar is determined to keep Gwen by his side, especially once he discovers he has been enchanted for five hundred years, and only ruins remain where his castle once stood. He knows he must return to his own time by using the closely guarded power and knowledge of his Druid heritage. Drustan has the ability to travel through time, and he'll not leave Gwen behind. She has no idea she will accompany him, until she finds herself whisked back to sixteenth century Scotland. It is then that Gwen realizes the life of the man she loves, along with the fate of Drustan's entire clan, rests solely with her. For there is an enemy plot which will eventually cause the death of Drustan's people, unless she can successfully alter the course of time. But can this diverse couple, each from a different century, find a way to remain in one place together for all time?
I believe my first thought after finishing this book was, "Wow!" This was my first novel to read by Ms. Moning, and I was definitely impressed. I've previously read a couple of time travel books by other authors, and found them too unbelievable and just lacking something. Now I do realize that any way you look at it, time travel is unrealistic. But the difference here is Ms. Moning makes it realistic, and very possible. This story was a non-stop, sit on the edge of your seat, quick, turn that page, nail-biting adventure! In fact the pace reminded me of watching an Indiana Jones movie. This book has it all: well-developed main characters, interesting secondary characters which add to the plot, fast-paced adventure, humor, romance, and some sizzling love scenes. A definite five star keeper, and I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, May 13 2004
Arwen "AKA Arwen" (Austin, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
First to the review who so cowardly remained anonymous and ripped into Ms Moning for stealing from Galbadon... you couldn't be further from the truth. Did you read either book? I have.
Galbadon's books are fabulous, but much darker than Moning's. Kiss of the Highlander riveted me with its fully drawn characters, humorous situations, and intense romance.
I look forward to reading more of Ms. Moning's work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour--read it!, June 22 2003
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
It was my first book by K.M.Moning and I enjoyed it immensely. I think that it is rather unfair to compare Miss Moning's works with that of Diana Gabaldon's. Miss Gabaldon's novels are for those who really love history and enjoy reading long and heavy stories--over 1000 pages each book and in smaller printing. Although the heroine in this book was not so lovable in the beginning and some of Moning's vocabularies are quite vulgar but on the whole, this time-travel story was rather absorbing and well-written. I bought this book based on the reviews I read on this website and I was very grateful for all those reviewers, especially those who gave low ratings to this book because then I know what kind of writing I will be getting myself into and I should not blame those high-rating ones if the book is not to my liking after all. Keep an open mind and enjoy the reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Multiple Re-read!, Feb. 16 2014
I have read this book more than a few times. There is a perfect blend of wit, humour and romance. This still stands as one of my favourites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, Feb. 21 2010
Anna (Atlantic Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
No, this isn't Gabaldon, but as pure romance novels go this has something most don't - the reader's ability to imagine the heroine could be you. What would you do if that happened to you? That's what's so entertaining about it. I also love that the heroes are all members of the same family with the same backstory. If such a thing is possible, it's heavy fluff. The writing isn't bad either - not like some purely historical romance novels which are so abysmally badly written I don't know how they get published. This was one of my favourites of the series and you can really beleive that the hero IS that handsome and wonderful. I wolfed down this novel in a couple of days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh, Drustan..., Aug. 25 2007
Alexina P. (Montreal, Quebec) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first of the Highlander series I've read, though I've already read Darkfever by the same author. I'm planning on reading the rest of the Highlanders asap. No, really, 'tis this good. It's paranormal historical romance at its very best.

At first I also thought the Highlander books would be eight carbon copies of Outlander, but after reading Kiss and the synopses from the other books I can safely say 'tis not so! Och, ye canna help but fall in lust.

Gwen Cassidy's life was bland, no doubt about it. The daughter of two famous scientists, it was only natural that she follow in their footsteps. Only to end up dated for three reasons: to try to win her parents' good graces, to see if she had any theories worth stealing, and for the prestige of dating the "prodigy". She'd been frighteningly cynical by twenty-one. Dropped out of the doctorate program at twenty-three. Lonely as hell by twenty-five. The trip to Scotland was supposed to be it. She was going to get someone to finally pop her cherry. Only to find THE cherry tree topper downer. Uh, whoa, that's... great... but, whoa!

Highlander laird Drustan MacKeltar has been asleep for five centuries, enchanted by a powerful spell. Awakening to find a woman sprawled on top of him, he can't help but get... ideas. But he quickly sobers as reality hits him. Five hundred years... and crumbled ruins where he used to dwell. He must return to his own century to change history and save his people from a terrible fate. But he needs Gwen, for she could surely be the one to save him. Passion stronger than time will defy the laws of the universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite!, July 19 2006
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I love everything she writes, but Kiss of the Highlander has been my favorite! Her humor spills out in this awsome romance as never before. It's a wonderful and refreshing twist. There are not enough words for the praise I give her on this one. And as always...she gives new meaning to the word "paranormal". But for myself...hum...Adam Black and Deagus are my favorite characters. She must have pulled those two right out of the shadows of my own mind. "Delicious I tell you"

4.0 out of 5 stars This book redefines travelling., April 15 2006
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Drustan and Gwendolyn. From a vacation from hell to pure loving bliss, this books stopped me in my tracks and truly made me want to take a bus tour in Scotland. Maybe I'd get lucky too? This book grabbed my soul because I've always been fascinated by the likes of Drustan and his craft. I've learned much from this reading. Learned lots about myself too. Gosh t'would seem life was so much more simple then.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was going to say trite, derivative, nothing new..., July 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
but then I read the whole book. When I read the highlander time-travel theme I thought it would be a retelling of Gabaldon's wonderful novels. When I began reading and Gwen went back in time and had to reconvince him all over again, I thought it was a rip-off of Jude Devereaux. Then I finished the book, and hail Karen Marie Moning! You have definitely written your own novel here! A lovely tale. Much better than "The Time Traveler's Wife" which I also read last week.

ARRAY(0xac779120)

Kiss of the Highlander
Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 4 2001)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89