5.0 out of 5 stars A Sit on the Edge of Your Seat Romantic Adventure
Published on July 10 2004 by klpepsi

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly, the worst book I have ever picked up.
Published on Aug. 23 2002 by Mom2kea

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sit on the Edge of Your Seat Romantic Adventure, July 10 2004
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Gwen Cassidy was just trying to add a dash of spice to her ho-hum way of life. At twenty-five she has no family left to speak of, she's sick of her job, and there's no man in her life. So she embarks on a group tour of Scotland, but little does she know her trip will lead to the adventure of a lifetime, and then some. While out exploring alone, she stumbles and falls into a cave, directly on top of the sexiest man she's ever laid eyes on. A Highland warrior, who awakens from a nap that has lasted centuries.
Drustan MacKeltar is determined to keep Gwen by his side, especially once he discovers he has been enchanted for five hundred years, and only ruins remain where his castle once stood. He knows he must return to his own time by using the closely guarded power and knowledge of his Druid heritage. Drustan has the ability to travel through time, and he'll not leave Gwen behind. She has no idea she will accompany him, until she finds herself whisked back to sixteenth century Scotland. It is then that Gwen realizes the life of the man she loves, along with the fate of Drustan's entire clan, rests solely with her. For there is an enemy plot which will eventually cause the death of Drustan's people, unless she can successfully alter the course of time. But can this diverse couple, each from a different century, find a way to remain in one place together for all time?
I believe my first thought after finishing this book was, "Wow!" This was my first novel to read by Ms. Moning, and I was definitely impressed. I've previously read a couple of time travel books by other authors, and found them too unbelievable and just lacking something. Now I do realize that any way you look at it, time travel is unrealistic. But the difference here is Ms. Moning makes it realistic, and very possible. This story was a non-stop, sit on the edge of your seat, quick, turn that page, nail-biting adventure! In fact the pace reminded me of watching an Indiana Jones movie. This book has it all: well-developed main characters, interesting secondary characters which add to the plot, fast-paced adventure, humor, romance, and some sizzling love scenes. A definite five star keeper, and I can't wait to read the rest of this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favour--read it!, June 22 2003
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
It was my first book by K.M.Moning and I enjoyed it immensely. I think that it is rather unfair to compare Miss Moning's works with that of Diana Gabaldon's. Miss Gabaldon's novels are for those who really love history and enjoy reading long and heavy stories--over 1000 pages each book and in smaller printing. Although the heroine in this book was not so lovable in the beginning and some of Moning's vocabularies are quite vulgar but on the whole, this time-travel story was rather absorbing and well-written. I bought this book based on the reviews I read on this website and I was very grateful for all those reviewers, especially those who gave low ratings to this book because then I know what kind of writing I will be getting myself into and I should not blame those high-rating ones if the book is not to my liking after all. Keep an open mind and enjoy the reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly, the worst book I have ever picked up., Aug. 23 2002
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I had such high hopes for this book. I am a huge Diana Gabaldon fan, and am not above a trashy romance either. I thoroughly enjoyed Julie Garwood's The Bride along with several Judith McNaught novels, but this one was so bad I couldn't get past the third chapter. What prose "..her Jennifer Aniston bangs", "He looked like he'd just walked out of a Gold's Gym" BLECH!! Not to mention vulgar. If I had to listen to her describe her ultimate man as a "cherry-picker" one more time I thought I'd puke. How anyone could describe her as intelligent is beyond me. All I could think of was if she was so hot to lose her virginity, it really couldn't have been that hard to do back home in the USA. Give me a break! I bought this at our local used book store and was so impressed that it looked brand new, like it had never been read. Likely the previous owner couldn't tolerate the poor writing anymore than I could. I'm only glad I only wasted 2.99 on it instead of the full cover price plus shipping! If you want to read a REALLY good time-travel to Scotland book, pick up the Outlander series. If you already have read Outlander, you won't be able to stomach this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, May 13 2004
Arwen "AKA Arwen" (Austin, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
First to the review who so cowardly remained anonymous and ripped into Ms Moning for stealing from Galbadon... you couldn't be further from the truth. Did you read either book? I have.
Galbadon's books are fabulous, but much darker than Moning's. Kiss of the Highlander riveted me with its fully drawn characters, humorous situations, and intense romance.
I look forward to reading more of Ms. Moning's work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Low on substance, high on fun, June 21 2004
C. Vowels "romance reader" (Spokane, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Gwen Cassidy is a walking scientist cliché. Her parents were cold scientists and so she got sort of cold or something and then rebelled or something and then I guess her parents died while she was working for an insurance company. Anyway, let's just skip her unnecessary back story and say that she's 25 and in Scotland to lose her virginity when she falls down a hole/cave right onto McRip VanWinkle.
The last thing Drustan MacKeltar knew he was in sixteenth century Scotland mourning the death of his brother and the fiancé he'd never actually met. Now, he wakes up with Gwen on top of him in the twentieth century.
"Kiss of the Highlander" is a lot of fun. Not fun in a corny "rompy" sense, but just sort of escapist fun.
Apparently Drustan was put into a cursed sleep and was accidentally awakened by Gwen. Our pair of lovebirds wander around Scotland for a few days in the twentieth century trying to come to terms with each other before Drustan sends them back in time with some mystical druid magic his clan was entrusted with. Things go wrong, Gwen sort of ends up fending for herself in sixteenth century Scotland, Drustan can't remember her, etc. I don't really know how to describe the story without spoiling some of the more major points so I guess I'll just avoid it. There are some frustrating misunderstanding type situations and no one seems to act terribly intelligently, despite what we're constantly told about them.
Gwen is not the greatest heroine, in fact I find her pretty irritating a lot of the time. Drustan fares a little better, but I'm never quite sure why he fell so quickly for Gwen. I dunno, I guess for me there's more sexual chemistry than romantic chemistry between them.
"Kiss of the Highlander" is very readable, and great for a poolside read, but it's not exactly setting the world on fire. On the other hand if you're a fan of Ms. Moning, or just a fan of a well written time-travel you'll probably enjoy this one. Also check out Ms. Moning's "The Dark Highlander" or "To Tame a Highland Warrior".

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection!, June 2 2004
Stephanie (Forest Hills, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading hundreds of romance novels by countless authors, I can honestly say it doesn't get any better than this, folks! There are not enough words to express the perfection of this story. After my second readthrough, I am just as enchanted as I was initially. Karen Marie Moning has found the optimim blend of adventure, humor, love and passion that will captivate you from cover to cover, and have you thinking about it long after you're done. You cannot help but fall in love with the characters created in this book...main and supporting alike. Ms. Moning has shown her true genius in this genre by developing a tale that will have you eagerly turning the pages, revelling in it's creativity, giggling at it's humor, sighing at the romance, and panting at the passion! I have read all the books in this series, and whereas they all have their own specific charms, this is the book I will keep on the shelf for easy access and future reads. Can't wait for her long overdue next installment "The Immortal Highlander" scheduled to be out Summer 2004. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can I Fall Down A Highland Ravine?, March 1 2004
Elizabeth Berry "nuyourican" (Fredericksburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Karen Marie Moning is a write to make any woman swoon. He historical time traveling tales are breath taking...just like her men. I will say this, as a simple piece of advice, DON'T read all of her books back to back. It is a series, but it isn't. You DO NOT have to read them in any kind of order. However, if you read them back to back, the stories are VERY similar with slightly different twist and they may seem a bit redundant.
I found Gwen, the main female, a little weak and ditsy in the beginning, but grew to like her towards the end. She is a brainy little thing who decides to take a trip to Scotland to "spice" up her life in search of a "cherry picker." Kinda sad, I know. When she stumbles, or rather fall, upon a sleeping Drustan from century's prior to hers. Not quite Alice in Wonderland. Without giving too much away and saying a whole lot at the same time, Gwen is FORCED to save Drustan's lineage, hence the time travel...with "help" of her own. Unfortunately, in Drustan's century, he doesn't know her and she has to make him remember. Sounds a little confusing, but THAT is what makes it a good story.
DEFINITELY READ THE OTHERS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining!, Aug. 28 2003
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
Yep! This is definitely a keeper; I so enjoyed it. I guess I'll have to say that I liked 'The Dark Highlander' better, but that's not to say that this one isn't a keeper. However, if you haven't read either of them I would suggest reading this one first. It's definitely a prologue to 'The Dark Highlander'. Gwen was a hoot! I loved the 'falling out the window scene' & about died laughing at the 'cherry tree chopper-downer'!!!!! lol lol I still chuckle when I think of that! And talk about your tall, dark, handsome hero! Ohmygosh!!! This one's enough to drool over!
This is a time-travel (present day & the 1500's). It also touches on the Druids of ancient Scotland. That stuff is interesting to me.
I really liked the way KMM wrapped this all up also. It didn't leave anything out, didn't rush, left you hanging for a little while. The ending was a complete surprise too - not that they lived happily ever after - but the manner in which they got back together. KMM did another excellent job!

4.0 out of 5 stars The kiss that revived the genre, March 8 2003
Desmond Chan (Bishan North Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
KISS OF THE HIGHLANDER as the precedent of the morbidly darker THE DARK HIGHLANDER has its fair share of charms which catapults time-travel romance author Karen Marie Moning to her well-deserved popularity. Interweaving intriguing time-travel elements culled from hypothesis of Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawkings into this Scottish Highland romance judiciously lifts this novel beyond the standard fare.
Feisty physicist Gwen Cassidy on an introspective trip to Scotland Highlands discovers the preserved body of Drustan MacKelter - a 16th century warrior and descendent of the Irish Druids - and brings him miraculously to life. She reluctantly joins him on a time-travel journey through a sacred stone portal on the day of the equinox that turned awry.
Gwen has to save her soul-mate from the fate of being ambushed and drugged by a superstitious kinsfolk, unsuspecting that if the course of the past is changed with her successful rescue - they will have to part.
Ms. Moning as usual galvanizes with smoldering chemistry and passion between the two protagonists with the bawdy humour and smarts. KISS OF THE HIGHLANDER breathes life and emotions to the oft-confusing genre with focused narration, enlightening ideals and bouncy fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistible!!!, Feb. 3 2003
This review is from: Kiss of the Highlander (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was oh so perfect! I couldn't get it off my hands until it was over and that hasn't happened to me since I read the "Heart of the Condor" some time ago.
There is only one "flaw" in this book: it is not an original plot. I know most romance books tend to have many similarities in plot but in this case it is not just a similarity. Rather the plot is an exact replica of Jude Deveraux's all time classic "A knight in shining armor", which was written many years ago.
On the other hand, despite being a copy-cat (and thus the author can't be praised for her brilliant idea), it is a book that stands finely on its own and it's highly addictive!
The plot of the book is this: A modern woman named Gwen goes on a trip in the highlands in order to find her perfect man. She literally falls over him and manages to awaken the highland laird from an enchanted sleep. Although she is attracted to him, she can't believe that he is from the 16th century, but agrees to help him return to his family castle anyway. Drustan, gets to know some of the wonders of technology (car, jeans, etc) but is also very attracted by the innocent Gwen. When they reach the place where his castle was, they find only ruins. Drustan knows that he has to return to his century and make sure that the family line continues. The fact that Drustan is a druid adds an interesting twist in the book and is the only difference between this book and "Knight in shining armor". Before Drustan gets back to his time though, he falls in love with Gwen and she with him. But because of a mistake Drustan makes, Gwen finds herself in his century where she meets a Drustan who doesn't even remember her! Can Gwen alone save Drustan's life and thus his clan's family line? Can she find a way so that she and Drustan live happily ever after?
Though the answer in these questions is obvious, I guarantee you will have a wonderful time reading this book and not once regret buying it. I am now certainly going to buy "The Dark Highlander" and find out what happens with Drustan's brother, Dageus.
Also, if you haven't read "A knight in a shining armor" and you liked this book, go and order it right away. Even if their plot is the same, both authors are masterful story-tellers, each with her own style, and these books are among the best about time-travelling.

Kiss of the Highlander
Kiss of the Highlander by Karen Marie Moning (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 4 2001)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89