5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!!!
I started it yesterday and finished it today..It is Thanks Giving and I had a hard time, trying to NOT pick the book up and failed....snuck in another room, away from the hustle and bustle of In-Laws and finished it. I have to say * Thanks Ms. Balogh for taking me away from my In-laws*
Published on Nov. 28 2003 by Just a Dreamer

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly recycled
As with all of Mary Balogh's romances, this one presents accurate history and plausible situations. However, I was distracted throughout the book by the resemblances to Jo Beverley's Malloren family romance; there were more than a few similarities between Rothgar and Wulf, and the unusual set of first names also harkens back to that series as well. I see reflections of...
Published on April 24 2003 by Umm Lila

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars If this is supposed to be romance...., May 7 2004
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm sorry, maybe I'm old fashioned, but I had no respect for Eve in this book. She let herself be used physically and emotionally by her first lover (who was a complete jerk) and then also by Aidan. I just couldn't root for her, or for Aidan either, who just did not tug at my heartstrings at all. I didn't find this book at all romantic and I hope Ms. Balogh doesn't screw up Wulfric's story the way she did this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars And so the Bedwyn series begins, Feb. 29 2004
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
It was so hard to decide how to rate this book. It's wonderful, but after the tour de force that was A Summer to Remember (which I finished the day before I started this one), it seemed somewhat less. Having said that, however, I enjoyed the book and will buy it (the one I read was from the library).
It starts a little slowly (not the first chapter, but afterwards), but the reader is soon drawn into the emotional lives of the characters. This is Balogh's forte: intense, realistic emotion. It is a pleasure to watch Aidan Bedwyn slowly (very slowly) emerge from his cool, harsh demeanor, and it is Eve's sweetness and strength that does it. Unknownst to the other, both give up their private dreams to settle for a marriage of honor and convenience--one that is to never be a real marriage at all. But as they are forced to spend time together, they discover a connection that leads to feelings neither had wanted and a new dream neither dared hope for.
I had disliked Freya Bedwyn (the sister) in A Summer to Remember (in fact, I wasn't crazy about anyone in the family except young Morgan), but she becomes a more rounded character here, as do most of the family, especially the Duke. Thus, I am beginning to like them--or at least be intrigued by them. They are certainly not your usual, too-gorgeous-to-be-real heroes and heroines. Aidan is dour and stiffly formal, but so dear once you see the man underneath. And Eve's surprising rebellion against the formidable Bedwyns could have you cheering for her.
The problems for me were a little too much description, some secondary characters that could have been more fully developed (they were merely walk-ons, really), and the love scenes. There was little passion in the latter; in fact, Aidan's approach tended to suck all the passion and romance from the scene, especially the most important one (the first time, it made sense). If I were Eve, and he did that for the rest of my life, I think I'd smack him upside the head.
Mostly, however, Balogh does a fine job of pulling the reader into the lives of her protagonists, getting into their heads and allowing us to feel their doubts, hopes, and heartbreaks.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant But Predictable Romance, Jan. 8 2004
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
On a battlefield in Toulouse, France, 1814, Colonel Lord Aidan Bedwyn gives his word of honor to one of his dying soldiers that he will "protect the man's sister - no matter what!" The English had prevailed over Napoleon's army and Colonel Bedwyn, home on leave in England to visit his large family, stops at Ringwood Manor in Oxfordshire to personally break the sad news to the man's sister, Eve Morris. Determined to discover the problem that caused the vehement promise to be exacted, Bedwyn discovers that Miss Morris and all her dependents are to be evicted from their home and reduced to penury unless she marries within the next four days. Her father had bequeathed the manor and land to her for the period of one year. If she had not married in that time, the estate would go to her brother. If he were to die, then a social climbing, grasping cousin was to inherit. Bedwyn, a man of his word, proposes a marriage of convenience to allow the lady to live out her life on her estates. As Bedwyn had never planned to marry, he would, of course, return to the army and the couple would never meet again. As fate would have it, the marriage turns out to be anything but convenient and their time together is prolonged with interesting consequences.
This is the first of a three book series about the Bedwyn family - Wulfric, Duke of Bewcastle, his brothers Aiden, Rannulf, and Alleyne and sisters Freyja and Morgan. This novel about Aiden and Eve makes for a light and pleasant romantic read. There is nothing complex about the tale, no subplots or much tension between the characters, who are charming if predictable. Ms. Balogh writes in her usual warm, emotional style which enhances the somewhat over-used storyline. I enjoyed reading "Slightly Married" and do recommend it as long as potential buyers/readers realize that this is not one of Mary Balogh's best efforts.
JANA

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!!!, Nov. 28 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Lifeless, passionless, and plotless, Nov. 20 2003
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a total waste of paper. The poor trees that died for this completely lame novel is a crying shame. There is NO sexual tension. There is NO change in either character's identity. In fact, their great love development makes no sense whatsoever. My advice is-don't bother.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book you can devour!!, Nov. 20 2003
Streakblondie "streakblondie" (Lower Hutt, Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
The authoress ....
This is the second Mary Balogh ("MB") story I have read and she is becoming one of my favourite autheresses! If you like Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsey, Stephanie Laurens, and/or Amanda Quick then I think you will probably enjoy MB! Having exhausted all available books of the other authoresses listed above I have been searching for a new great authoress, with wonderful books I can devour!, and I think I have found her in MB!!
The book .....
Slightly married is a wonderful story with a lot of ROMANCE, humour, and a sweet story-line that keeps you turning those pages. The wonderful thing about MB story's is that no two story-lines are the same!
The Bedwyns are growing on me with each subsequent story that I read (they were first introduced in 'a summer to remember') and following the tradition set in a summer to remember, Aiden is not your ordinary 'leading' man in a romance novel but is refreshingly different, not an arrogant bored rake, etc, etc .... Eve too is not your ordinary 'leading lady', she has spunk, determination, and is well sweet .... not simpering, etc, etc.
Thus, this was a thoroughly enjoyable novel, with enjoyable characters, and although the storyline is not action-packed it is a very good read .... it is more about the romance than it is about action or side-line-issues (e.g. action that takes the story away from the romance part of the plot) ... don't get me wrong there is a plot and story-line (a very good one actually) BUT it is definitely a ROMANCE: about feelings and emotions and love and passion and sex .... which is lovely because that's why we read romance books .... for the romance (emotions, feelings, etc)!
Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable story-line and a great addition to the Bedwyns growing novels!
Good reading my friends, Kristina

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally wooden, Sept. 25 2003
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
I know Aidan is supposed to be a solider, but his campaign to woo his wife is absoltely the most unromantic thing I hae ever read. He is constantly telling her he is going to leave her, and even his decision to take her to bed in a tawdry inn is based on the fact that he is going to dump her but since they are supposed to be married for the rest of their lives he might as well show her what it is like to have a man in her bed.
Eve and her lame ducks are very sweet, but she has about as much personality as a vat of goose grease. The interfering Bedwyns really do very little to help this along, and the only man of any real sexual interest is the cold and aloof Wulf.
I cannot imagine anyone describing this book as a romance when the love scenes are at best a coming together of two rathr frigid bodies. There is no inidcation he loves and respects her as the person she has become, and even the premise that her love thaws him is flawed-he never thaws at all throughout the whole book, not even at the end when he decides to hang around after all. This is a wealthy man who can do or have whatever he wants, and hs just settles for her to keep his promise to her dead brother. I have given up on the Bedwyn series-they are all exceedingly dull and certainly do not live up to their titles at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, Sept. 12 2003
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
this is the first mary balogh book I've read and now I'm hooked. What a great storyteller. This book made me cry, laugh, and long for love! The heroine is such a strong and independent character that you feel for her throughout the novel! And, of course, Aidan, the hero, will make you fall in love.

5.0 out of 5 stars No "Slighty" to it... It's ALL Good., Aug. 5 2003
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms. Balogh brings the Bedwyn family - initially introduced in her historical romance, A Summer to Remember - to life with exceptional skill.
It's an old familiar storyline of a man promising to take care of a dying man's sister "no matter what" and ultimately falling in love with that same sister. But, Ms. Balogh's journey from promise to love is filled with intriguing complications and interesting characters! The hero is a man of honor, worthy of the lead role... and the heroine proves her strength when she takes on the Bedwyns and captures the heart of her hero. It's a great story and wonderful beginning to a series that I've thoroughly enjoyed! My sincere thanks to Ms. Balogh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than slightly good!, July 15 2003
janlouise (Ruston, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slightly Married (Mass Market Paperback)
Hey, I liked it. It is true to MB's form of writing. It is the 1st of the Bedwyn Series- Colonel Lord Aidan Bedwyn promises a dying soldier (of whom he owes a debt) to not only deliver a message of his death to his only sister in person but also to protect her. Later he finds out the only way of doing that is by offering marriage to Eve Morris, giving her the protection of his name. The offer is made and the arrangement is agreed upon for a wedding by special licence (since time is against them) and then to go separate ways, still married but never to see each other again. Aidan will return to his occupation in the military (with no-longer the possibility of marrying the general's daughter and be his companion during war campaigns). Eve will return to her home without the threat of no chance of becoming homeless and having to turn out those that have become dependent on her (and no-longer the possibility of marrying a former sweetheart/lover that promised to return any day now and announce their engagement). But when the Duke of Bewcastle (Aidan's oldest brother, head of the family) finds out that Lady Aidan exist he has other plans for Eve and its not to stay at home but to be in London with Aidan. A wife's place is beside her husband in society, right?! Even if she is the daughter of a deceased coal miner- she is a bedwyn now and must be presented to society and the family! A plan that was so simply to take place turns upside down. It is a sweet heart-throbbing story of of 2 souls thrown together and love to be discovered. A great read, highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Slightly Married
Slightly Married by Mary Balogh (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89