5.0 out of 5 stars An hilarious quick read
I was looking for a little break from all of my textbooks and found this to be the perfect quick read. Hillarious and witty, you just have to keep turning the pages.
Published on Oct. 17 2006 by Angela L. Nelson

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to finish the book
The first two thirds of the book is almost unbearable - it shouldn't take that long to describe a person who lives such lies and absurdity. Annoying!!!! Some nice twists at the end, though.
Published on April 12 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused as to how anyone could enjoy this novel, May 16 2004
By A Customer
First of all, the main character is rather irritating, especially because she seems to force other people to go out on a limb for her selfishness (for example, the banks to whom she owes money and the future love interest who lends her money to buy a scarf that she claims is for a sick relative and her friend who makes frames for her). The book is a succession of tedious shopping lists stating prices and then many complaints of having no money. The only reason I continued in the torture of reading the book was due to the fact that I wanted to see character progression and find out if maybe she would become a better or at least more interesting person. It does not happen. She is rewarded for her selfish, irresponsible ways with a cute boyfriend and a sparkling future. Morality is nonexistant, coincidentally so is any trace of a plot. I would really have given it 1/2 a star, but that is not an option. Save your time and just skip this vapid, annoying novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to finish the book, April 12 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I the only one who disliked this book?, Jan. 27 2007
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book tedious and annoying. It felt as if my intelligence was being insulted more and more as the page number increased. Not worth your time.

1.0 out of 5 stars can I give it zero stars?, Oct. 24 2007
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
Utterly pathetic, quite painful at times, and thorougly disgusting. The saddest part of it all is that there are actually women like this- but do authors have to glamorize it? She makes it sounds as if being in debt is something attractive- after all, the girl gets the guy. Give me a break... and give me Jane Eyre any day.

1.0 out of 5 stars what's wrong with modern female characters?, Oct. 11 2007
june mayne (Montreal, QC, CAN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
Not funny at all! Rather depressing when you think about it. This is just yet another book in which women are portrayed (by WOMEN authors, might I add) as irresponsible, dishonest, overpriviledged consumerism victims. Rebecca creates an endless series of inane problems by being completely incapable of taking control over their own life... although she will manage it in the end, but only with the help of the tall, handsome and intelligent MAN (Mark Darcy anyone?).
Sure, it's a light read, and it has about two laughs, but all of you women writers out there, would you mind giving your sex SOME credit? There's a reason people still read Jane Eyre 160 years after it was written: she used her head!

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh so annoying, July 18 2004
I've nothing against a light summer read...and that is what I'd hoped for when I picked up this book. Unfortunately the 'heroine' is repugnant to the point where I was actually unhappy that things worked out for her in the end. She showed no true remorse for her lies, schemes and immaturity; so I wasn't routing for her to overcome them. Also, the 'turnaround' in her career was at best happenstance...and so preposterous and unbelievable. So, I think I can sum up my review in a single word which reflects the amount of thought and creativity that went into writing this fiction: BOO.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should be called "Confessions of a Pathological Liar!", July 14 2004
By A Customer
This book was terrible. I always finish the books I read, it was done painstakingly with this book. Her lying was just annoying!! I don't even understand how she ended up with the guy in the end. Truelly terrible book

2.0 out of 5 stars A promising start, but..., July 17 2003
C. Young (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This book started out well enough, with a lot of funny and laugh inducing introspections on the heroine's part. I couldn't help but identify with the heroine in her constant need to shop and her obsession with designer brands. However, about halfway through the book, the heroine's antics becomes grating and extremely annoying. Not only is she completely lacking in self-control, she's also immature and irresponsible, running and hiding from her creditors instead of looking for a solution out of her financial dilemma. Despite the author's efforts to paint her as a very spunky and imaginative person, everything that has happened to her comes from good luck instead of any hard work on her part to change her circumstances. It made the whole story extremely hard to swallow for me. Needless to say, I won't be standing in line to buy the rest of the book in this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, April 12 2014
I found the book to be superficial. I couldn't get past the first twenty pages. All she was talking about was shopping and her job. I understand it's "Confessions of a Shopaholic", but I don't want to read the shopping lists and money the character spent!

The movie was the reason I tried to read this book and was far better in my opinion. I'm disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should come with drinks to get through it, Oct. 12 2013
Cee Ess - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
Immaturity is one thing, stupidity is another. This character can't tell the difference and gives the reader a full dose of both. At least Bridget Jones had some dignity and charm. This lead character tries to, but doesn't. She should have to learn the hard way based on her shallow character, but doesn't. To be handed good things in the end seems like an insult to everyone else. Kinsella's non-shopaholic book "Twenties Girl" is a world away from this one and actually worth the read. Shopaholic is clearly annoying (even for a light read) with small fractions of humour. It should come with a bottle to help you get through it.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 4 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89