4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and witty and SO true!
Published on July 11 2005 by Ale

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused as to how anyone could enjoy this novel
Published on May 16 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and witty and SO true!, July 11 2005
Ale (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
I had the book for a long time before I actually sat down on Friday to read it... and I couldn't let go (except for a quick shopping trip on Saturday ;) I was finished by Sunday right before dinner time! It had me laughing out loud, smiling and cringing at the thought that I can be so like Becky sometimes... many times... It is an enjoyable book. Great summer reading, fun and relaxing with the fairy tale parts very well inter-twined with the rest of the story. I could not stop laughing when I read about the job interview with the Bank of Helsinki! but the entire book is entertaining and cute. I love its fashion sense too!

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm confused as to how anyone could enjoy this novel, May 16 2004
By A Customer
First of all, the main character is rather irritating, especially because she seems to force other people to go out on a limb for her selfishness (for example, the banks to whom she owes money and the future love interest who lends her money to buy a scarf that she claims is for a sick relative and her friend who makes frames for her). The book is a succession of tedious shopping lists stating prices and then many complaints of having no money. The only reason I continued in the torture of reading the book was due to the fact that I wanted to see character progression and find out if maybe she would become a better or at least more interesting person. It does not happen. She is rewarded for her selfish, irresponsible ways with a cute boyfriend and a sparkling future. Morality is nonexistant, coincidentally so is any trace of a plot. I would really have given it 1/2 a star, but that is not an option. Save your time and just skip this vapid, annoying novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars A promising start, but..., July 17 2003
C. Young (Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This book started out well enough, with a lot of funny and laugh inducing introspections on the heroine's part. I couldn't help but identify with the heroine in her constant need to shop and her obsession with designer brands. However, about halfway through the book, the heroine's antics becomes grating and extremely annoying. Not only is she completely lacking in self-control, she's also immature and irresponsible, running and hiding from her creditors instead of looking for a solution out of her financial dilemma. Despite the author's efforts to paint her as a very spunky and imaginative person, everything that has happened to her comes from good luck instead of any hard work on her part to change her circumstances. It made the whole story extremely hard to swallow for me. Needless to say, I won't be standing in line to buy the rest of the book in this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh so annoying, July 18 2004
I've nothing against a light summer read...and that is what I'd hoped for when I picked up this book. Unfortunately the 'heroine' is repugnant to the point where I was actually unhappy that things worked out for her in the end. She showed no true remorse for her lies, schemes and immaturity; so I wasn't routing for her to overcome them. Also, the 'turnaround' in her career was at best happenstance...and so preposterous and unbelievable. So, I think I can sum up my review in a single word which reflects the amount of thought and creativity that went into writing this fiction: BOO.

3.0 out of 5 stars Struggled to finish the book, April 12 2004
By A Customer
The first two thirds of the book is almost unbearable - it shouldn't take that long to describe a person who lives such lies and absurdity. Annoying!!!! Some nice twists at the end, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hilarious read that will make anyone burst out laughing, Nov. 19 2005
Cordelia Kwon (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
I can't say how many times I've read this book and still managed to burst out laughing.
Becky Bloomwood is in some serious debt, and some serious denial about that niggling crush she has on Luke Brandon, head of his own PR firm for financial businesses, Brandon Communications. She's on Successful Saving as a journalist, but does she really have any success with savings? As a shopaholic, the answer is a flat out no.
In many ways, Becky is like a child in the way she is self draw intuitively to pleasure and always has some kind of comment like, "And it wasn't really like I was on the regime," and constantly making excuses for herself. She continually thinks up of reasons (glandular fever, broken leg, dead dog, dead aunt) not to schedule a meeting with Erica Parnell, her bank manager's assistant. And then she discovers something really dishy and writes for the Daily World and that all results in a slot on Morning Coffee, in which she advises the world about money. To think she would do that!
And when you think it's all over... there's still the rest of the series to read! If you don't know anything about designers, you will after reading this book, which of course you're gonna buy because it's just so good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Light read. Just a bit of Fluff., June 27 2005
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been hearing reviews of this book, saying it is absolutely brilliant. I was really looking forward to reading it, but I have to say it wasn't as "great" as many people think.
The book introduces a fun character who has a huge shopping problem. First of all, I thought it wasn't realistic. If your in such heavy debt and you keep on spending, I mean who would do that? Rebbecca does. She has a major problem that I personally couldn't really relate to. But she was certainly a loveable character who I ended up appreciating during the end of the book. Moving forward, at the beginning of the book I found it sort of dragged on. There wasn't really a plot, it was just showing what sort of a problem Becky has. Once you start to get around the middle/end of the book your very captivated.
The plot grabs hold of you, and you can't put the book down. But the problem with the book is, that this only happens around the end of the book. The entire thing isn't realistic, or in my case relateable. Its just a bit of light fluff that you might read to cheer yourself up, or have some fun.
Not a serious book, but something fun. I own this book just for kicks. It wasn't laugh out loud hilarious but something you will appreciate in your head.
I'm not sure if I will read the sequel, because if its similiar to this one, I don't think its worth much of my time. But I would reccomend reading the first one, form your own opinion, and just have fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shop till you drop!, March 7 2005
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
For someone who reasons every 'bargain' and shop as a pick-me-up, and always talking myself into 'needing something' I found myself cheering for Rebecca's shopping expeditions. The author managed to make me understand Becky, to feel her, and to wince whenever she gets herself into a messy situation. I was embarrassed for her whenever she tangles herself into a web of deceit that in the end caught up with her. I was reminded of the insight from other books I've recently come across-Jackson McCrae's CHILDREN'S CORNER being one stellar example. However, despite the fact that I relate very well with Becky, I must say the book did not contain much plot other than her addiction to shopping, her increasing debt and her compulsive lying. And in typical Kinsella fashion, I just knew from the first mention of Luke Brandon's name that he was going to be Becky's love interest as British authors just love to pair her ditzy heroines with the serious, dashing and successful type (BRIDGET JONES, CAN YOU KEEP A SECRET etc etc). Anyone in need of a good laugh, or a little pick me up, will enjoy this side splitting page turner. As Becky hurtles into impending disaster, falls to the bottom of the barrel and picks herself up again, we will enjoy the ride by chuckling along with her escapades and faux pas (how can you enjoy going to a museum when they don't have prize tags on the items displayed?? It just takes the fun out of admiring a certain object!!!'' Just be warned though. Those with little patience for silliness can get easily annoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!, June 24 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Confessions of a Shopaholic (Mass Market Paperback)
Twenty-five-year-old Rebecca "Becky" Bloomwood appears to be living the absolute perfect life. She lives in a beautiful flat in one of the hippest areas in London, she has many fantastic, glamorous friends who are quite big on the socialite scene, and her closet is absolutely oozing all of the season's must-haves. Unfortunately for Becky, she can't afford one iota of it. Sure, she's a writer at SUCCESSFUL SAVINGS magazine, but the job doesn't pay enough for her to live in the lap of luxury, and the many articles she has written about saving money haven't helped her to learn anything. Hence, she is drowning in debt. However, now she is being chased by the creditors. Visa, Endwich Bank, all demanding large sums of money that she can't afford, so she tries to ignore them. But as time is passing by, it's becoming harder and harder for her to ignore the bill collectors. Her only consolation to escape the madness is to buy herself a little something, but that makes matters worse. Luckily, something Becky actually cares about lands right in her lap, and suddenly her article makes front-page news. This may just be the one thing that changes Becky's life.
Sophie Kinsella is one of my new favorite authors. Becky Bloomwood is absolutely hilarious, and absolutely relateable to all of us out there who find ourselves shopping even when we are out of money. Her quirks and excuses are absolutely fabulous, and will have readers rolling on the floor laughing. A touch of romance makes CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC even more exciting, without overshadowing the main premise of the story. Fans of Helen Fielding's BRIDGET JONES' DIARY series will relish in Becky's story. A must have book for all, whether you're a fan of the chick lit genre or not.
Erika Sorocco

1.0 out of 5 stars This is an annoying version of Bridget Jones' Diary., June 15 2004
By A Customer
This book is so much like Bridget Jones'Diary in a sense that 1. Book is written in first person, 2. There are pages(letters here, lists in the BJ' Diary) inserted into the story, 3. the main character, Rebecca, is a young British girl stumbling along not knowing exactly what she wants out of her life just like Bridget, 4. Neither Becky nor Bridget likes or cares for her job that much, 5. They both find a better suiting job later, 6. they both find love with guys (Luke and Mark) they didn't like in the beginning 7. Both book ends with the main character sleeping with the guy for the first time and having an incredible time. Now, what sets this book apart from Bridget Jones' Diary is the fact that Rebecca is ANNOYING! She shops constantly and therefore in debt to everyone including her flatmate. She buys expensive stuffs like D&G that she doesn't even need in multiples. What's worse, instead of taking care of her finances like a responsible adult, she throws away bills and letters from banks, hides from them and lies to them about dead aunt, dead dog, broken leg and etc., and dreams about winning a lottery or marrying a rich guy so that she can shop some more! She does come to her senses near the end, but just when I started to like her a bit she buys three sunglasses from a home shopping network! I mean, I like shopping too but this is too much! While I was reading this book, I was constantly frowning and had an urge to slap some sense to this immature and irresponsible girl with no will power whatsoever. I only finished reading this book becasue I have a policy of finishing what I started. I barely stuck to the policy this time only with the best effort of speed reading. This book is so annoying you'd get upset even if you were sitting under the shade sipping your favorite drink by the beach in Aruba.

Confessions of a Shopaholic
Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 4 2003)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89