5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit
John Grisham does it again, weaving a story that takes you right into the heart of a small community with so many interesting characters.
Published 1 month ago by SusanHeim

3.0 out of 5 stars Plot holes you could drive a truck through
For the most part, I found this entertaining. I was troubled by one thing, though:
Published on July 17 2004 by Karen Tobin

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Hit, June 13 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A must to read, May 16 2014
I am not a fan of Facebook. I like to read at my own pace without giving any opinion, as I am sure you have thousands of other people giving you the required information and really do not need my input. However, the book was a smooth read, and full of humour. There are a lot of other things I would like to comment on, but I will leave it at that. I would recommend it to anyone who ask my opinion about the book. I love John Grisham books and his style of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Grisham, May 10 2013
This was and still is my favourite John Grisham novel. It's hard not to get immediately hooked into the small town of Clanton. Grisham delivers a wonderful page-turner that sucks you in the more you read. There's violence, humor and, like most of Grisham's novels, great use of the legal system to create riveting narration and description.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last but not least, Jan. 30 2005
This review is from: The Last Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
When I decided to read THE LAST JUROR about two weeks ago and bought it from my local store - the main reason was the summary I read on the cover recanting what seemed to be an exciting tale of a defendant being spared his life yet seeking revenge on the jury that convicted then sentenced him to life in prison. What I found the real story to be is following a young gumshoe news reporter and his experiences with the people in a small southern town. Yes, it begins with a murder and there is a significant plot surrounding it - but don't be fooled into thinking this is a legal courtroom thriller by any stretch of the imagination. It more so narrates a small towns activities and how a community reacts to rather big events such as the previously mentioned murder trial mixing in their traditions with politics, people and work. Also recommended: BARK OF THE DOGWOOD.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first, Oct. 18 2004
This review is from: The Last Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first Grisham book so I can't really argue the points that some have stated. I'm familiar with the movies which were made from his books, but the actual novels themselves have escaped my attention. With that said, I found THE LAST JUROR to be exceptional. I came to it with an open mind and liked the southern setting and story. It wasn't too violent and the characters were believeable. I also recently enjoyed another book called THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD by Jackson McCrae. It wasn't anything like THE LAST JUROR but was very interesting and the writing is beautiful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Small Town Story of truth and justice,, Dec 12 2010
Audrey Lewis (Memphis, Tn.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
I thought this story of the little Southern town; its small town newspaper owner and its citizens was just a super read. I enjoyed the world of Willie as he became more known by the folks of this Mississippi hamlet.

Mr. Crisham did an excellent jobe of developing his character in such a way that I couldn't help but read page after page wondering what adventure he would stumble into. Without hesitation I would recommend this book to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, Jan. 26 2005
This review is from: The Last Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a light-hearted book to read. It was fast-paced book. I consider it to be one of Grisham's best. Grisham returned to legal thriller with style after his most recent books (Bleachers, Painted House, etc.). The Juror is presented through the eyes of the local newspaper editor. Like all Grisham books, it comes to a very sudden and abrupt ending, but for a change, it doesn't detract from the story .In this novel John Grisham has created an intense, fascinating and revealing study of a small southern town, and created lively characters that developed with the story. His details are plentiful. This is a lovely historical fiction.
DISCIPLES OF FORTUNE, THE RUNAWAY JURY

3.0 out of 5 stars Plot holes you could drive a truck through, July 17 2004
Karen Tobin "ladyangst" (Worcester, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Juror (Hardcover)
The killer sneaked into the victim's house and hid in her closet, surprising her when she opened the closet door. He blindfolded her with a scarf, and cut her panties off with a knife before raping her at knifepoint. He made enough noise to awaken her small children, who came to see what was wrong. When the killer realizes the kids are there, he reacts, and the victim calls out the the kids to run. They run to the next-door neighbor. In the meantime, the killer has been recognized, and he slashes the victim's throat and flees. The neighbor goes to investigate and finds the victim, who has tried to follow the kids and collapsed. Before she dies, she tells him the name of the killer. The children are in shock and are eventually taken to live with realtives. They are too small to testify.
Now, some of this, like the scarf, the closet, cutting the panties could have been discovered during the investigation. But, when the DA cross-examined the killer, he knew things that only the killer, the victim and the children would have known, like that the victim had called to the children to run. The killer was, of course, denying that he was even there. The victim died before she could say more than who did it. The children were too traumatized to tell what they had see. So how, exactly, did the DA know?

2.0 out of 5 stars What Book?, Jan. 3 2006
This review is from: The Last Juror (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to say, in all the many hours of reading I have done over my life, I have rarely forgotten reading a book, especially a book I must have read in the past few years. This was one of them. Very below par for Grisham.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just not that good., Sept. 4 2005
Garth Bishop (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Juror (Hardcover)
When I first started reading John Grisham, I was impressed by the pace of his stories. I really enjoyed the legal thriller, with enough twists and turns to make you keep flipping pages. With "The Last Juror" Grisham has gone back to his formula, but only somewhat. I really feel that his attempts to merge a "touch-feely" theme (A Painted House was great) with his tried and true fast-aced legal drama/action has been a dismal failure. I guess I expect certain things out of a "Grisham" book, the same as you'd expect the same from a Dan Brown book. While I appreciate his desire to branch out and grow as an author, this one missed the mark.

The Last Juror
The Last Juror by John Grisham (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 14 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01