5.0 out of 5 stars Overall this was a really good book
Published on Oct. 11 2007 by Lance Berkman

2.0 out of 5 stars Brainless can be fun, but sometimes it goes a bit too far
Published on July 8 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars Brainless can be fun, but sometimes it goes a bit too far, July 8 2004
By A Customer
I enjoy a light read as much as anyone. Something light, fun, enjoyable. While I like the humor and quippy lines, I find that character development suffers in favor of ridiculous behavior. Instead of exploring the characters, for example, this mostly-unbelievable character goes to a store and proceeds to buy a number of items she doesn't even want, just for increasingly unbelievable attempts at saving face in front of people she doesn't know.
It gets annoying, as though the character really is without a brain at all, and in general, has no admirable qualities. She lies to cover up her stupid shenanigans, even to her boyfriend. You start to wonder why a high-powered, driven guy is with such a nitwit.
And in the end, everything is resolved in fairy-tale fashion, improbably and unbelievably. If you're wanting something where you could daydream yourself as the heroine, forget it. It's too farcical for that. It's highjinks and mayhem worthy of the most tired and predictable sitcom.
If this book were a food, it would be a pixy stick--pure sugar, no nutrition, and not belonging in a regular diet.
I did give it two stars though, because in spite of the ridiculousness of the plot and characters, the author does manage to write in a conversational tone that draws the reader. It's just a shame that she can't inject a little believability or substance into her stories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, entertaining, but too much fluff, Oct. 14 2002
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan is a cute little breeze of a book that entertains lightly and is best read while gorging on an extra large box of bon-bons. The main character, Becky Bloomwood is so ditzy and irresponsible it is hard to feature her in the role of financial journalist that she is cast. We are entreated to a variety of shopping extravaganzas that are quite vicariously delightful, but this book would have been far more satisfying had the author made some sort of stab at the underlying cause of Becky's addictions.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, March 31 2003
By A Customer
Is there anything more tedious than tagging along on someone else's shopping spree? That's about as much fun as this book is.
The bimbo main character really got on my nerves. And for her "successful business man" boyfriend - he's straight out of some silly commercial.
If you want fun chick lit, read Marian Keyes, India Knight or Helen Fielding instead! They've got brains as well as funny traumas.

1.0 out of 5 stars too much stupidity, Jan. 6 2003
laeney "Say something about yourself!" (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I thought I would enjoy this book since I did enjoy the first one. However, I've decided to stop reading this book halfway through. Rebecca's stupidity is just overwhelming and annoying in this book. The author seems to have gone overboard in this one. The stupidity isn't cute or funny but just downright annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the first!, March 16 2002
T. abdee "toodles" (Toronto) - See all my reviews
I hate say how much this second novel let me down. The first "shopaholic", I truly enjoyed, perfect light hearted fun, and great cottage reading. Somewhat of a "shopaholic" myself, I found the first book to be hilariously enlightening. The sequel though, I found terribly predictable, boring, and the only thing that forced myself to finish it was the hope of a glimpse of fun to reveal itself, unfortunatley, I made it to end feeling it to be nothing more than a waste of my time. Wish I felt differently, I love an easy, fun read once in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall this was a really good book, Oct. 11 2007
This review is from: Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Mass Market Paperback)
Becky and her boyfriend Luke are moving to New York so he can set up a new office there, and Becky's shopping gets out of hand again, creating disaster. It's not a complicated book at all. But that's not a bad thing -- this is a terrific book to curl up in bed with, or to take to the beach with you. I found myself laughing out loud a great deal more than the first. Becky's attempts to sneak in her purchases without anyone seeing are hilarious, and something I could relate to. Her experience at the wedding of an old family friend was also true to life (on a bigger scale, obviously -- you have to read it to understand). I thought Becky was much more well developed and I liked her a great deal more in this book. She still lies, but somehow her lies don't seem quite as awful. She has more confidence and she takes charge of her life more -- I really liked how she handled herself when everything fell apart. I like Luke, although he still could've used more depth. Overall this was a really good book that I think most women would enjoy. If you missed reading Tino Georgiou's masterful novel--The Fates, I'd highly recommend reading it. Truly an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than Book 1..., June 4 2005
By A Customer
I've only read the first 3 in this series and I thought this one was the best of the 3 (although I've been told by several ppl that this is the least interesting one). Now that we know Becky a little better, it was heartbreaking to read about her fight with Luke, even though she had completely brought on her own misery. But of course, this book had a very happy ending, as a fun comical novel should... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Foosball, March 9 2005
Ok. So Becky finally goes to new York. Only she is not sure what is going on. Every one is so nice to her. Oh Becky. She is so great. SHe really gets America and shopping! Though she does spend too much and how do you get it home? Well this shows you what is to come. I can't imagine what other crazy ideas Becky has? Luke keeps her grounded. She is so excited about her new job at Barney's. It is a fab opportunity. I love this book. How much better can it get? Though I read this book second, it is fabulous. YOu don't have to read them in order.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Continuation of the Original..., Dec 31 2004
Shopaholic takes Manhattan is again such a fun read and is very addictive. I don't recommend reading it before bedtime because if you're like me, you'll never end up going to sleep. Compared to the original novel (Confessions of a Shopaholic), this one is more serious, has more of a plot, but seems to be less funny.
If you've already read the first one, then this is must read. Because you've got to find out what happens next. Now that I've finished this one, I can't wait to find out what happens in Shopaholic Ties the Knot.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh, No! Please, Becky! Stop being so stupid and put it down!, July 20 2004
I made it through reading the first Shopaholic book all alright. I suppose that's only because I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The second book, while just as entertaining as the first, made me scream and have the strong desire to slap Becky Bloomwood even moreso than the first. Once I got past that initial reaction towards that character, it only seemed to get worse. Becky's stupidity and lack of self-control made me take the book back to the library mostly unread.

ARRAY(0xa696121c)

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - March 2 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89