5.0 out of 5 stars A classic
Published on Jan. 29 2005 by Elizabeth

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Enjoy!
I read and loved the first two books in the Shopaholic series and was anticipating the release of this third book. But I found it very hard to like and finish. Here's why:
Published on April 7 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Enjoy!, April 7 2003
By A Customer
1) While I used to find Becky endearing and sweet, I did not like her at all in this book. She is a pushover who doesn't really think about anything but shopping. She was just annoying. She could have easily gotten herself out of the "sticky situation" (see below) that is the focal point of the novel by doing the right thing. How very superficial.
2) There were no written reasons for us to like any of the supporting characters. Luke was a mama's boy and I found myself not even wanting Becky to marry him, Elinor was mean, and Becky's mom was trying to run the whole wedding for her.
3) There is no real plot, just Becky digging herself further and further into a hole in which she must decide between an amazing wedding at the plaza and a wedding at home. In typical Becky fashion- she continues to put off the decision.
4) The only reason I gave this book a star at all is because it is mildly entertaining and fun. But it is safe to say that I won't be reading any more possible sequels in the Shopaholic series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge Disappointment, April 1 2003
By A Customer
After the success of the magnificant 'Bridget Jones's Diary', a mind-numbing amount of imitations followed suit... Unhappy but lovable Biritsh singleton, rich handsome guy, comic situations, and sweeter-than-sugar endings became a mantra for millions. Up until 'Shopaholic Ties the Knot', I thought Sophie Kinsella's was better than most. Becky Bloomwood is at best times, testy; her airheadedness can be endearing and riveting, other times it can be incredibly frustrating. Up until this (third) installment, Kinsella seemed to be able to balance this attribute healthily, but she has dropped all integrity and creativity in this one. She fails. This book is one of the worst reads I have ever had- the situations are so unrealistic, dull and simplistic and Becky so irratating I could barely keep from throwing it away. While some characters, such as Luke and Elinor, were a bit uninteresting and questionable before, they, as well as the rest of the supporting characters, become unbearably mundane and lame. However, Becky... I cannot believe how much she has changed. This is a character I used to like, identify with, has been cheapened to a mute idiot. I say, stay away from this stinker, ESPECIALLY true Shopaholic fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, Jan. 29 2005
Becky Bloomwood is a shopaholic, or in other words loves to shop. She is living in New York with her boyriend Luke and is the best personal shopper at Barneys. She loves her life. But then her best friend, Suze, gets engaged and Becky can't help but to think about marriage. She' just wondering whether or not Luke would ever pop the question when he does. Becky sets herself up for a romantic backyard wedding at her mother's house in Oxshott, England until she meets with the infamous Elinor Sherman, Luke's mother. Elinor is rich and obsessed with social status, so naturally she wants a big, all-expenses-paid New York wedding at the Plaza. But how is Becky supposed to tell her mother, who's already planned her whole wedding in England, that she wants to have it New York? So Becky doesn't. Then she ends up with two weddings on the same day, and she can't seem to choose between them. Will Becky be able to get out of this one, or will she have to return one of the weddings?
I fell in love with Becky's humour in this book. I was hooked from page one. It seemed like every time Becky had a problem, no matter the size, she always found a way to let it go too far and turned it into a huge, chaotic event. Her clumsy personality and goofy remarks made the book one of my favourites. The only thing I didin't like about this book was that the ending seemed unrealistic. Not only that, but to me it wasn't really that clear as to what happened. But, other than that, the book was perfect. A sassy, fun novel you can enjoy anytime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Jan. 25 2005
What a great book! The author's humour kept me hooked throughout the book!
Becky Bloomwood is a shopaholic, or in other words loves to shop. She is living in New York with her boyriend Luke and is the best personal shopper at Barneys. She loves her life. But then her best friend, Suze, gets engaged and Becky can't help but to think about marriage. She' just thinking about whether or not Luke would be ever get married when he proposes. Becky sets herself up for a romantic backyard wedding at her mother's house in Oxshott, England until she meets with the infamous Elinor Sherman, Luke's mother. Elinor is rich and obsessed with social status, so naturally she wants a big, all-expenses-paid New York wedding at the Plaza. But how is Becky supposed to tell her mother, who's already planned her whole wedding in England, that she wants to have it New York? So Becky doesn't. Then she ends up with two weddings on the same day, and she can't seem to choose between them. Will Becky be able to get out of this one, or will she have to return one of the weddings?

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love How Luke Asked Becky To Marry Him!! *SIGH*, July 16 2004
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
This is the second book that I've read by Ms. Kinsella and yes, I'm very much aware that I'm doing it out of order but I still find Becky Bloomwood to be a great and quirky character.
Since I've yet to read the first in this series I have not really had anything to judge it by. I found this story to be another light read that does not require brain surgery. For those that keep comparing this author to Helen Fielding I say Stop. This is unfair to both author's since they have each carved out rather unique, funny, and likable characters. Brigit is nothing like Becky except they both come from England! Move on.
I have found that there are really few "Chick-Lit" books out their that I find worth reading. Those that I do find I crow about! Becky is a ditz, Luke is a prince (okay I would like if there was just a little more to this romance but hey beggers can't be choosers!) and I thought the way he proposed was so sweet and romantic! Becky's life is funny and who can't at time relate to her?
For a light read that will help pass the time Ms. Kinsella is an author that I would highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Third Time's A Charm..., July 3 2004
So you would think this time Becky has FINALLY gotten it all together -- Right? Well.... Becky can't say that she doesn't have it good. She works at Barney's as a personal shopper (what more can a Shopaholic ask for?), and she and her VERY successful boyfriend Luke, live in a decent NY apartment together and are totally happy.
What more can a girl ask for? An engagement is the cherry on top of the delicious cake Becky calls life.
After Luke's VERY SWEET proposal she proceeds to plan their wedding, and this is where the problem comes in.
Luke's mother, who Becky doesn't favor to much, but wants to make Luke happy, wants to throw the wedding in New York at the Plaza. A fancy, fairy tale wedding in EVERY sense of the word. While back at home in the UK, Becky's mom plans an intimate and cozy wedding in the home where Becky grew up. Both sound beautiful and inviting... What's a girl to do?
Becky needs to think fast and decide where she is going to get married -- and quick, or else she'll have to find some way to be at two weddings at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic Shopaholic Story, May 3 2004
I loved the first two Shopaholic books, and it's no surprise that I loved this one, too. It's also laugh-out-loud funny and again, it was hard to put this book down. I finished it in record time. Now that my praise is known, I'll admit that I did take minor exceptions to some aspects of this book. Becky is a little older and is supposed to have "grown" as a person, but it's plain to see that while she is lovable and hard to dislike, she is in serious need of some professional psychological counseling (Luke too - he REALLY has some issues)! How many times did I want to shake Becky and say, "Just open your mouth and communicate with people!! It's really not that difficult!!" Does anyone agree? Also, her appalling lack of communication with Luke will HAVE to improve if they're going to have a successful marriage (which no doubt they will, after all). Alas, Becky always comes through in the end and pulls her chestnuts out of the fire... but I hope when Shopaholic and Sister is released (could this be Luke's half-sister Zoe Brandon??) later this year, that Ms. Kinsella doesn't put us through such agony again. We love Becky far to much!! Still a great read with a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Becky could plan 2 weddings for the same date!, Jan. 17 2004
Tanya L. Schaub "TSchlaack" (Livermore, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
Luke and Becky are in the US. She has the most wonderful job in fashion - she is a Barney's personal shopper. Luke meanwhile is hard a work on the New York office of his company. They go back home for Sue's wedding and well... I won't ruin the surprise. But, this is "Ties the Knot" so most of the story will revolve around the wedding preparation of Becky and Luke.
Luke and Becky have a joint account for their household expenses. Is a MuMu skirt really a household expense?
Becky's mom starts planning the wedding they have saved for even before she goes back to the US. But, wait Luke's mom decided that she will pay for a wedding at the Plaza in NY. Becky is dead set against the Plaza until she sees it and the wedding planner starts to make her dreams come true. Becky will decide which one she wants and then everything will be ok.
But in true Becky luck things happen to make it impossible to cancel the Plaza wedding but -- No it can't be true can Becky be hiding the truth 2 weddings the same day on different continents? Also can she handle the stress of the ultimate shopping experience - wedding registry.
In this one you will again feel for Becky as she is trying to hold it all together, especially when Luke has some issues and is not a help. I laughed hysterically and also hurt for Becky in this one again.
A fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shopaholic Does it Again!, Jan. 9 2004
Kala (Ft Lauderdale, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Shopaholic Ties the Knot is the third book about Becky Bloomwood and her boyfriend Luke. Becky has moved to New York and now has the absolutely perfect job, personal shopper at Barneys! She's blissfully happy with her job and wonderful boyfriend, Luke. When he proposes, she couldn't be more thrilled. Until the battle of the mother-in-laws starts.
Becky's mother wants her to get married back in London, while Luke's overbearing mother wants an all-out, no expenses spared wedding at the Plaza. Both sound good to Becky and with Luke stressing out over work, she ends up not saying no to either wedding! So now she has two weddings being planned on two continents on the same date!
This novel is yet another wonderful story by Sophie Kinsella about an intriguing and fun character who has a shopping obsession! The thing I liked better about this book over the previous two is that it focused more on Becky and her relationships with her mother and Luke, and had slightly fewer shopping trips. Becky is still the same hilarious girl, always entangling herself in some kind of mess - but I felt this book delved a little deeper in to her and some of the other characters in the book.
Shopaholic Ties the Knot is another great read by Kinsella, I highly recommend picking it up along with Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Takes Manhatten. All three are light-hearted and fun, very easy to read and very difficult to put down once you start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, Jan. 9 2004
HeyJudy "heyjudy" (East Hampton, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I grabbed SHOPAHOLIC TIES THE KNOT off the racks of an airport bookstore, having read every other book sold there that possibly might interest me. Being a bit too old for "chicklit," I wasn't expecting much. KNOT turned out to be a delightful surprise.
Author Sophie Kinsella has created a marvelous creature in heroine (and bride-to-be) Becky Beechwood. The voice of her character rings completely true; and Becky is a genuine New York type, even if she's English.
As a New York bride myself, once-upon-a-time, I enjoyed Kinsella's descriptions. In my day, we thought that we were completely over the top but I have noticed, among the daughters of friends, that the current generation of brides makes their mothers look like amateurs. Kinsella got all of this energy, the obsessiveness, and manic attempts at perfection, rampant in modern wedding planning.
At the same time, she tells an interesting story which includes a conflict that does not inform the reader of its resolution early on, a problem in too many other women's novels. The ancillary characters are compelling as well, in a medium that rarely includes any characters other than the hero and heroine.
I don't like reading sequels before original work but, in this situation, I am going to go backwards and read the first two SHOPAHOLIC novels. SHOPAHOLIC TIES THE KNOT was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and the plane was landing before I knew it.

Shopaholic Ties the Knot
Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 31 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available