5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Her Best Yet!
After I picked up Can You Keep A Secret I could not put it down for a minute! This is probably the best of Sophie Kinsella's books.
Published on Nov. 22 2005 by Maddie

3.0 out of 5 stars Tall tale with Bridget Jones overtones
Marketing Assistant Emma Corrigan is sent from London to Glasgow by her boss to seal a partnership between her employer, a beverage company, and another brand. After things spill over, literally, she leaves without success and nearly meets her end on a plane ride from hell where she confides in a stranger who turns out to have a connection to her employer.

The...
Published 7 months ago by Cee Ess

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Her Best Yet!, Nov. 22 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend this book!, March 2 2014
Achat Amazon vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
If you are a Sophie Kinsella fan you will enjoy this book. It is a fun and easy read! Very good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tall tale with Bridget Jones overtones, Sept. 3 2013
Cee Ess - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)

The book is amusing and funny in usual Kinsella style. I thought Emma was too ditzy to be endearing. I would have liked to see a few more smarts from her. There are similarities to Emma and Bridget Jones both as a character and a storyline, except that the "Daniel Cleaver" type character is likeable.

She writes great dialogue, but as with her other books, this one has about 40 pages of extraneous blather. If I could rate it three and a half stars I would, but I don't know how to give it a half. If you liked "Remember Me?" this one is about equal to it. "Twenties Girl" is my favorite to date.

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't impress me as much second time around, May 4 2013
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm[...]

My Thoughts: This was the second time that I read this book. The first time that I read it (way back in May 2008) I rated it a 4.5/5 stars. Ya, I loved it and found it hilarious. This surprised me because the other two Kinsella books that I had read (including the first Shopaholic book) I didn't love ... at all.

So how did I feel about this book the second time around? Weellll, I liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect. Or it could be that Chick Lit is becoming a genre that I tend to stay away from because I truly think that it's one of the hardest genres to write well -- at least if the author wants to impress me. Either Chick Lit comes off as clichéd and silly or, if done well, it can show us a humourous journey as the main character 'finds herself'. However you look at it this book didn't impress me as much the second time around.

I know that one of the things that bothers me with Chick Lit in general is that it usually begins with a clichéd, dowdy and misunderstood main character who is typically a complete push-over and looking for the perfect man and/or dress size. Unfortunately Emma is no exception for some of those clichés. She is continually degraded by people around her (especially her cousin) and just takes it for the bulk of the book until she begins to view herself differently. That's great that she 'finds herself' and 'comes into her own' but until then I wanted to reach into the book and shake some sense into Emma every time she didn't tell her cousin off after one of her negative comments about Emma's love life or career. Gahhh! I guess that's just not how I work. I'd be sitting that cousin down and having a heart to heart.

I understand that chick lit is meant to give it's readers a nice, light and enjoyable read and not delve into heavy subjects or spark debates. I get that. But for a Chick Lit novel to impress me and keep my attention is quite rare. The first time I read this book I remember feeling shocked that I enjoyed it so much because I hated Kinsella's first Shopaholic book. I found 'Can You Keep A Secret?" to be quite funny and Emma to be an endearing character. So you can either chalk this review up to me now being a more seasoned reader (or perhaps jaded) because this review's rating is much lower than my first rating or how masses of other readers feel about the book.

While this book did have some funny moments as Emma shares her inner-most secrets with a complete stranger (I even found them funny the second time around) those funny bits unfortunately didn't make up for the overall feel that I got from the book and the unease that I had reading about how Emma was used as a doormat.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars funny, Dec 1 2012
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
Warning: DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IN PUBLIC! YOU WILL LAUGH OUT LOUD! This book is really funny. really funny. Its a fast easy read. Awesome book. Recommend to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip!, Aug. 21 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
What a trip of a good book, filled with love and love twists. I just laughed out loud all the way. Kinsella never disappoints! I also recommend A SECRET WORD (for laughs and tears).

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, July 20 2007
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading a few books in the Shopaholic series i was very sceptical about reading this book. I thought there was no one like Becky bloomwood (and there isnt)and was reluctant in reading it. However after reading the first few pages i fell in love with the book and the character i couldnt not put it down. I absolutely love this book. i found myself reading it on the train one day and laughing out loud (how embarassing is that?)couldn't help it though. this is my favourite from Shopie Kinsella.

The secrets might seem a bit silly but we all have to admit thatt we do have secrets like these that we dont want anyone to know. (smiling just thinking about this book)

I heard the movie is in the making and i can't wait to see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Nov. 3 2006
Amanda (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I loved the book! My mom origionally bought it for herself but she recocmended it to me. I love her style of writing. You end up feeling the emotions the character is. The author is now my favourite! I highly recomend it! You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would laugh out loud!!!!!, Feb. 4 2006
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Paperback)
The funniest book I've ever read. If you don't want a mystery, a gushy love story or a horror novel, read this. It's light, refreshing, relatable and hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Must Read!!!! (I Promise), Sept. 29 2005
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Can You Keep a Secret? (Paperback)
I started this book yesterday morning and finished it today! It was an amazing read. I always wanted to know what would happen next; hence me not being able to put it down! I definately suggest reading it, you won't be disapointed.

ARRAY(0xabbefa8c)

Can You Keep a Secret?
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 27 2005)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49