5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
Published on July 20 2007 by Nikki-licious

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't impress me as much second time around
This review, as well as many more, can also be found on my blog, The Baking Bookworm[...]

Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, July 20 2007
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading a few books in the Shopaholic series i was very sceptical about reading this book. I thought there was no one like Becky bloomwood (and there isnt)and was reluctant in reading it. However after reading the first few pages i fell in love with the book and the character i couldnt not put it down. I absolutely love this book. i found myself reading it on the train one day and laughing out loud (how embarassing is that?)couldn't help it though. this is my favourite from Shopie Kinsella.

The secrets might seem a bit silly but we all have to admit thatt we do have secrets like these that we dont want anyone to know. (smiling just thinking about this book)

I heard the movie is in the making and i can't wait to see it.

3.0 out of 5 stars didn't impress me as much second time around, May 4 2013
Amazon Customer "The Baking Bookworm" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Mass Market Paperback)

My Thoughts: This was the second time that I read this book. The first time that I read it (way back in May 2008) I rated it a 4.5/5 stars. Ya, I loved it and found it hilarious. This surprised me because the other two Kinsella books that I had read (including the first Shopaholic book) I didn't love ... at all.

So how did I feel about this book the second time around? Weellll, I liked it but didn't love it. Perhaps it's because I kind of knew what to expect. Or it could be that Chick Lit is becoming a genre that I tend to stay away from because I truly think that it's one of the hardest genres to write well -- at least if the author wants to impress me. Either Chick Lit comes off as clichéd and silly or, if done well, it can show us a humourous journey as the main character 'finds herself'. However you look at it this book didn't impress me as much the second time around.

I know that one of the things that bothers me with Chick Lit in general is that it usually begins with a clichéd, dowdy and misunderstood main character who is typically a complete push-over and looking for the perfect man and/or dress size. Unfortunately Emma is no exception for some of those clichés. She is continually degraded by people around her (especially her cousin) and just takes it for the bulk of the book until she begins to view herself differently. That's great that she 'finds herself' and 'comes into her own' but until then I wanted to reach into the book and shake some sense into Emma every time she didn't tell her cousin off after one of her negative comments about Emma's love life or career. Gahhh! I guess that's just not how I work. I'd be sitting that cousin down and having a heart to heart.

I understand that chick lit is meant to give it's readers a nice, light and enjoyable read and not delve into heavy subjects or spark debates. I get that. But for a Chick Lit novel to impress me and keep my attention is quite rare. The first time I read this book I remember feeling shocked that I enjoyed it so much because I hated Kinsella's first Shopaholic book. I found 'Can You Keep A Secret?" to be quite funny and Emma to be an endearing character. So you can either chalk this review up to me now being a more seasoned reader (or perhaps jaded) because this review's rating is much lower than my first rating or how masses of other readers feel about the book.

While this book did have some funny moments as Emma shares her inner-most secrets with a complete stranger (I even found them funny the second time around) those funny bits unfortunately didn't make up for the overall feel that I got from the book and the unease that I had reading about how Emma was used as a doormat.

My Rating: 3/5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Nov. 3 2006
Amanda (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I loved the book! My mom origionally bought it for herself but she recocmended it to me. I love her style of writing. You end up feeling the emotions the character is. The author is now my favourite! I highly recomend it! You'll love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would laugh out loud!!!!!, Feb. 4 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Paperback)
The funniest book I've ever read. If you don't want a mystery, a gushy love story or a horror novel, read this. It's light, refreshing, relatable and hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep them coming!, June 28 2004
Mary G. Longorio "Texasbookgirl" (Eagle Mountain, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
daughter and I battled over who would read the newest Shopaholic book first. "Can You Keep a Secret" introduces a new haracter, Emma, who is not sure what she does at the Panther Corporation. She would like a promotion. She would like to one day have her parents notice her instead of always focusing on her cousin Kerry. Emma knows her boyfriend Connor is a catch, yet she has a nagging feeling there might be someone else out there. Emma is flying back from Scotland after a meeting with Glenn Oil that might have been the key to becoming a junior executive....a meeting that went horribly. Seated next to an American, she is glumly thinking of what she can do to Panicked, she clutches her companion in the next seat and spills her guts and begins to tell all. Not the polite chit chat that strangers share. She tells all....her real dress size, eating ice cream stuffing the empty containers in the bin, losing her virginity while her parents were watching TV in the next room, sneaking out from work to meet her friend at Starbucks (divulging their codeword, no less), all the things you might tell a best friend over time, not a complete stranger all at once. Thank heavens Emma will never have to see that slightly overwhelmed American ever again. Having voiced all that,Emma feels as though she cannot get back into step with her life. And the American reappears, as her new boss. This was such a romp to read, was snickering half the time (note to self:read boring books at desk at work) and I was sad to finally finish it. I eagerly await the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars not even finished yet - please don't let it end!, June 9 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I'm on page 172...I have been laughing since page 3, laughing hysterically everywhere! I can't even believe I've stopped reading to write this but I had to tell you all to get this one. Hardback - its a keeper and I'm cheap. I'll just say that I'm not the kind of person who laughs out loud at t.v. or movies, most people or jokes...I laugh mostly at things I think of or sometimes a great line from Niles in "Frasier." But this one has me laughing OUT LOUD - EVERYWHERE! I know I loved the Shopaholics (especially the first) but don't really remember them, so I can easily say this one is hands down one of the funniest books I've read. Sure you know the ending (I think - I don't really care), but its just a good time. And I'm a stickler about endings - I like mysteries and sad endings in romance novels, but I don't even care what happens in the end - so long as it stays this funny. FABULOUS READ! I'll be up all night to finish it and wish it wasn't over. By the way, another one I laughed out loud and actually shared with friend is "Diary of a Mad Mother To Be" (after I read the Mad Bride, which is funny too) - and I'm NOT A MOTHER!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Endearing and Too True, June 6 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
Sophie Kinsella is one of my absolute favorite authors of all time. I was excited when "Can You Keep a Secret" came out. Somehow I knew that it would be as good as the Shopaholic series. And I was right! It was a fantastically funny and touching read.
The main character, Emma Corrigan, is your normal 25-year old and somewhat-insecure woman. She is trying to get a promotion at work, has a fantastic boyfriend, and is very happy with life, or so she thinks. On an extremely turbulent flight back from a business trip from Glasgow, Emma's secrets unwillingly spill out to a total stranger next to her. She ends up telling this handsome American stranger nearly every secret she has, and then some. When the plane lands, she is embarrassed but figures she'll never see him again.
When this American stranger ends up being the owner at her job, Emma is mortified and determined to act like nothing happened. But Jack, the American stranger, has other ideas. Emma seems to have touched him in some way. And Emma, who thought she was totally happy with her perfect boyfriend, starts to wonder.
I recommend everyone to read "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. It will keep you turning page after page until you finish it; Emma is a delightfully imperfect heroine that many can identify with. Make sure not to miss this fantastic book! Now if Sophie Kinsella can just write books faster...

5.0 out of 5 stars Can You Keep a Secret?, May 26 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I love the Shopaholic series and I was extremely excited for this book. And I wasn't disappointed. I still love the Shopaholic series, but I loved this book even more. I liked that it was more about relationships and less about financial turmoil. I felt stressed out for Becky Bloomwood. Emma is more assertive and finally gets to speak out for herself. I loved all the characters in this book and I could match them up with people in my life, so it made it that much better. Everyone knows someone who displays similiar characteristics of Artemis, Jemima and awful cousin Kerry.
Is this book fun and probably a bit unrealistic? Definitely. Is that part of the reason I love it. Absolutely. It made me chuckle. It was a great distaction from everyday life. And true to her form, Sophie Kinsella leaves us asking for more. Oh and for anyone who might be interested, I heard that they were going to turn this into a movie that is due out sometime next year with Kate Hudson as Emma. I hope it does justice to the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Is Out ..., May 26 2004
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
"Can You Keep a Secret" was a VERY light and funny read. Emma Corrigan is a sweet and simple woman who has a "few" secrets that she keeps from all of the important (and not so important) people in her life. She meets a handsome American man on a plane who she rambles all of these secrets to -- without realization -- because the plane hits a little turbulence and she truly believes that he is the last person that she will ever see. When she lands safely and realizes that she still has her life, she is embarassed, but convinces herself that she will never see this man again -- WRONGO!

Unfortunalty not long after that mortifying scenario,Emma comes in contact with this man, who unfortunatly is someone very important and holds a high position for the company that she works for. Everything seems to go downhill for her after that point as she runs into comical circumstance after circumstance.
I thought that this book was hilarious, but NOT at all as witty as the Shopaholic Series.
The ending of "Can You Keep A Secret" left me a little disappointed because I felt that it was a bit rushed. I also wanted to know more about how Emma's relationship with her parents was progressing. Overall, it wasn't a waste of money and would definatly recommend it for a day at the spa or beach. Enjoy! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great plane-type read- don't judge it for it's insipid title, May 12 2004
Margaret H. Willison (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Can You Keep a Secret? (Hardcover)
I read this book in maybe 4 hours tops and it was very enjoyable.
was it as good as confessions of a shopoholic? no, not quite, because Emma's flaws weren't as clearly defined as Becky's were. As someone who FREQUENTLY does the absolute wrong thing, knowing it's the wrong thing, feeling terrible about doing it and yet doing it just the same (like, for example, reading an entire Sophie Kinsella book in one sitting when I have 4 pages of paper demanding to be written), Kinsella's abilty to catch that kind of compulsive dread in Becky's shopping splurges was just exceptional. This book doesn't have something that resonates quite so forcibly.
HOWEVER, Emma is sweet, Jack is well, the kind of perfect, thoughtful, romantic, funny, handsome RICH man that exists only in chick lit lovels. He's really quite yummy. Emma's friends are lovely, her enemies are wonderfully icky and the humor is consistent and the plot is VERY engaging (read it compulsively in one sitting, no more able to stop myself than becky would have been able to stop herself from buying that second pair of shoes), even if it's not exactly surprising.
Great book for an airplane, beach reading, whatever.

Can You Keep a Secret?
Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 27 2005)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01