5.0 out of 5 stars Love the humor!
If you have read the rest of this series you'll live this one too! Great read to keep you laughing!
Published 18 months ago by jessie levy

2.0 out of 5 stars Fourth and hopefully final?
While the flighty yet well-meaning Becky is back in similar style to the first three books, Kinsella's choice of contrasting her with the ultra-practical, unbelievably thrifty Jess has made it difficult to enjoy Becky's character as in the previous books.
Published on Nov. 14 2004 by Elizabeth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Fourth and hopefully final?, Nov. 14 2004
Elizabeth (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Hardcover)
Perhaps it is that Becky is now married and it is difficult to justify her half-truths towards her husband. Perhaps I'm expecting her to have grown a little along the way. In the first few books, I sympathized with her and saw a little of myself in Kinsella's shop-at-all-cost Becky. It was a little bit of fantasy. Wouldn't it be nice to spend and buy and spend and buy and not feel guilty or suffer the consequences? Now, she just seems immature and irresponsible. The fact that she always manages to land on her feet, despite silly choices, seems unrealistic.
Check your brain at the door and this instalment of the Shopaholic novels is light, fun read, albeit not quite as enjoyable as the first three books. Think about it too much and it may just border on annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the humor!, Jan. 11 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars She should have stopped while she was ahead, Aug. 2 2006
Katherine Dabrowski (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Hardcover)
As much as I loved the first 3 Shopaholic books, I felt like this one was just unnecessary, almost as if Sophie Kinsella was trying to squeeze every last drop out of this series. Although the story was ok in itself, I started to dislike Becky by this point because it seems like she just NEVER learns and is really just a shallow idiot whoes marriage deserves to fail because she lies to and keeps so much from Luke. I know I'm probably analyzing this book as though it were meant to be more than just entertaining chick-lit, but still I just wish it was never written, for the sake of the great 3 books before it.

5.0 out of 5 stars PURE FUN!, Oct. 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Hardcover)
Sophie Kinsells's Shopaholic books are always little guilty pleasures, aren't they? Fun, light, silly, charming, and a breeze to read. This latest installment in Becky Bloomwood's life is no different. It may not be high literature but it's pageturning, adventurious, and consistently entertaining, so I definitely recommend Shopaholic & Sister wholeheartedly.
Also suggest you get your hands on Jennifer Paddock's latest, A Secret Word. Lots of fun and some tears, about three young women prevailing over life's travails.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., Nov. 22 2011
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Paperback)
I ordered a book from this seller but received a book from a different series written by the author. When I tried to contact the seller to advise them that I was willing to purchase the correct book but would like to discuss the handling charges, they never replied to my e-mail. It has been over a week and still no reply.

4.0 out of 5 stars Falls slightly short on the Becky-ness, Oct. 26 2009
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Paperback)
Alright, by the fourth book Becky is just wrapping up her year-long around the world honeymoon with her husband Luke, and finally they're heading back to England. Of course, Becky couldn't resist her favourite activity while on the Grand Tour, and as we all know, there are definately consequences for buying TOO much...

However, the shopping doesn't exactly stay the main focus. Instead, a "sister" is introduced, and Becky tries to bond with this new sister (Jess) with her own unique ideals and her "Becky-factor". Unfortunately, things don't always go as they plan...

Well, there was the extremely short summary of the book, which is also the two main points of the review. I feel that after three books, shopping itself is just not going to hold up. I mean, its fun to watch Becky shop in the first two books, blowing off most of her money in exchange for luxuries that most of us could only DREAM of (I loved the part where she was at Barneys, anyone else?), but its starting to get old. The third book managed to redeem itself by the craziness of the wedding, which while still involving some shopping, actually has another direction for Becky. Becuase a person could only shop so much before its just plain tedious.

Another thing is that while Becky is still warm and friendly, with her completely unique approach, her "simple" outlook and solutions are rather tiring. I mean, after going through nearly bankruptcy and saying several times that shopping should NOT be the main focus of your life, you'd think that she would actually TAKE her own advice and grow up a bit. For this book, Becky's character just feels flat as she continues to be the girl that lives her life based on her whim. That seems like a contrast from the Becky that FINALLY learned a lesson in the last book, where she should appreciate her marriage more etc. etc.

As for the character Jess, she just serves as a complete opposite of Becky that allows the latter to befriend the former. While I'm reading the book, I don't know who I'm disappointed/bored by more: Becky or her sister.

The book does have its usual quirks, and there is stil some humour along with a side story that is more enjoyable than the whole sisterly bonding, but its not quite the earlier books of the series. It seems like the author is trying to branch off into more "serious" topics while keeping the book light and easy, and managed to not quite reach the target for both goals. I personally think that she should keep it as a chick-lit, because that's the real shining point for the SHOPAHOLIC series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Jess fan, July 20 2007
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm sorry but im really not fond of Jess. I like the idea that they were different but Jess was just plain out annoying and rude sometimes. this was my least favourite book in the series. I think the series could've been just fine without this book. I must say that i did enjoy parts of the book (the parts that did not involve Jess)and it really did make me laugh.
I was even surprised that Jess had a part in shopaholic and baby. i was like, what is she doing here, i thought she said she didnt know for a fact who her dad was. oh well, overall it was okay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, but unneeded continuation of series, Nov. 19 2005
Cordelia Kwon (Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Hardcover)
Shopaholic & Sister, like all the previous Shopaholic books was pure pleasure to flip the pages through although like Shopaholic Takes Manhatten, it was unneeded.
Still, it was a warm welcome for the old characters again. Becky Brandon is still the same girl she was from the beginning... Only she has a half-sister, Jess, who appears to be interested in nothing but rocks, border collies, working out, and computers. And the worst part of all---she hates shopping! Becky is certain they can still have fun and be friends, but Jess doesn't seem to feel the same way. Plus, all those souvenirs from the 10-month honeymoon with Luke---in particular, that Angel bag that cost 2000 euros is now getting her in trouble with Luke in a way you'll find out once you read the book. :)
As always, Becky is still minorly immature which makes her delightfully relateable, and many designers are mentioned which will be great for anyone who likes pop culture inserted in their books. Very light, very fun, very chicklit, very Sophie Kinsella! Which is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed this book as I had a long lost sister!!, Sept. 24 2005
J. Gallant (Eastern Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic & Sister (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this fastpaced, and very entertaining novel. I have a long lost half sister, due to adoption, that I met in adulthood. Like the book, we had little in comman and grew to appreciate each other for our individual differences. I found this book to capture that sutle flavour of seperated sisters in a heartfelt and sensitive manner. Yet, pushing all the issues aside, it was a very enjoyable read from beginning to end. A weekend read, or a great beach book!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK, Aug. 8 2005
Nisha (Markham, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shopaholic and Sister (Paperback)
This was an amazing book!! I finished the book in 2 days and I feel like I'm exactly like the lead character Becky! Her thought flow process is exactly like mine!! I would highly recommend this book for anyone who likes Sex and the City or any other book by Sophie Kinsella. An excellent read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Shopaholic & Sister
Shopaholic & Sister by Sophie Kinsella (Mass Market Paperback - Nov. 28 2006)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available