5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
Published on May 5 2009 by A. Volk

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and Disappointing
I gave this book only 2 stars because I wanted to learn a lot more about Greek mythology - but the stories were confusing and I found it difficult to keep the characters straight. I have read reviews that said this book was great for children, but I am not so sure of that. There is a lot of sexual hanky-panky between brothers and sisters and some other characters that...
Published on Nov. 12 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, May 5 2009
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is a fantastic book that I loved reading as a child, and now get the chance to introduce it to my children. It is written perfectly for young children, and the stories are a good mix of happy and sad, love and violence. I would quibble that some of these stories are a little biased by the D'Aulaire's interpretations, but they are generally quite good. The stories are written in language easy enough for most 8-12 year olds (and precocious 6-8's), and the illustrations are gorgeous and unique. Certainly for introducing young children to Greek Mythology, it would be hard to find a better book.

If you read this book and liked it, I'd also recommend the D'Aulaires Book of Norse Mythology. The Norse pantheon are just as interesting, somewhat similar, but also very different, from the Greek pantheon. Both books make great reading for children and make learning about classic beliefs fun and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Obliged to Read!, May 18 2004
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
My 5th grade teacher gave this book of myths to me as a present. Ever since I read the book and saw the illustrations, I have treasured this book. For a long time I then kept it safely locked in my cupboard. I never actually had time to look back again at the magnificent drawings and pictures. Now that I am in 8th grade though, I thought I might as well read the inspiring stories all over again and again I enjoyed it tremendously.
For me, it is one of the most remarkable books ever written. It is not only enjoyable but a good learning experience as well. I have learned so much from reading just these few stories that I now know more about Greek mythology than my grandfather does.
This book is almost like an encyclopedia only meant for myths and legends. I recommend this book for adolescents as well as adults. Children will be able to understand the stories very clearly once they get a hold of this book. In my opinion, the illustrations in this book were so vivid you could almost understand the stories without any text.
In conclusion, I truly believe that D'Aulaire's Greek Book of Myths is one of greatest books ever written and illustrated. As the years go by, I will return to this book once again and read it all over again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, easy -to-read stories!, June 14 2002
By A Customer
The first time my Mom told me to read this book I didn't really want to,but after I read the first paragraph,I couldn't stop!! I recommend it for all ages. I am homeschooled, and we use this book for Greek and Roman history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopedic, Jan. 26 2002
J. Mack "reviewer2" (Pacific, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
This book is oversized and has 192 pages. It is fairly comprehensive of the major and lesser figures in Greek mythology. It includes timeless stories about these beings. Because of the tremendous influence that Ancient Greek culture has had on western civilization, to this day, this volume is undoubtedly useful--a treasure.
I disagree with the comments on the art by other reviewers. Some of the art is truly wonderful, but other illustrations are not attractive. Generally, the simple line drawings and monochrome illustrations are far better than the full color illustrations, where the use of color sometimes assaults the eye (and sensibilities).
For an introduction to Ancient Greece and its mythology, I'd recommend something else (like Greek Gods and Goddesses....... For a children's reference book, this is the one to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and well written, April 6 2014
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
A comprehensive collection of Greek mythology. Covers all the well-known and lesser-known myths with great illustrations. Great base for future understanding allusions/genres in literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction for the reading child to Greek mythology, April 25 2013
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
This book has been a constant source of delight and conversation to my
10 year old grand daughter since it arrived. She is an avid and fluent reader
and likes to curl up with the book by herself, but younger children might need
to have it read to them. The stories are beautifully told and the illustrations
are clear and unambiguous as well as pleasing in their interpretation of the
verbal imagery. I am more than pleased and happy to recommend this book as a gift
to any family who cares that their children's education includes the basics
of classical mythology which underpins so much of the literature they will
encounter later on. Already, my grand daughter is making the connections
between the stories and references in modern English that are still in use, such
as "Pandora's Box" and being "as rich as Croesus" - to name just a couple.
I cannot recommend this book enough as an introduction to a world of terrific stories,
as well as enriching so many aspects of the child's understanding of her own culture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Priceless and Timeless, Sept. 20 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Oversized with gorgeous and revealing illustrations, this amazing book will strike young children with awe about the mighty power of human imagination and - about Greek gods, goddesses both major and minor as well as the mortal descendants of Zeus. The masterfully retelling of Greek myths that flows in well-organized order brings to life such immortal tales of Persephone, Prometheus and the Nine Muses. I received formal training on Greek mythologies in college and though I loved these Olympian gods radiantly, it was not without pain just to figure who's whose son or daughter from Homer, Virgil and Ovid. Fortunately for my children (and I), we have D'AULAIRES' BOOK OF GREEK MYTHS that comes with helpful Zeus' family tree, index of gods' names and a constellations map. This is the definite volume on classical mythology that any family library cannot do without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Children, Sept. 14 2011
R. C. Cooper (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Paperback)
This book is as entertaining and educational today as it was when it was first published. It's been a gift I've given to a good number of kids over the years, and it is always read and re-read with enthusiasm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, June 18 2009
Nice illustrations. My son enjoys the classic stories and there is a lot of chronologic history of Greek gods and their offspring. A good reference and comprehensive anthology

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Book is captivating, enchanting and wonderful, July 12 2004
Juan A. Lucio "juannyc" (The Rocky Mountains!) - See all my reviews
No need for a lot of words here, it is just excellent, and probably my favorite audio book ever. The talents of Broderick, Poiter, Newman and Turner simply inspire me. Enthralling, interesting, as well as addictive.

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths by Edgar Parin d'Aulaire (Paperback - March 1 1992)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77