5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to donate
I am a Spider Robinson fan. I've read almost all his books. My local library did not have a copy of this book so I bought it, read it and donated it to the library.
Published 8 months ago by Member 121

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this hitting the Bob Hope syndrome?
I first read Callahan's Crosstime Saloon back in college, like the early 80's so I've been a fan for quite awhile. I really enjoyed that book, and also each of the subsequent Callahan books Robinson has put out over the last 20 years.
Published on June 26 2002 by Steven Laine

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough to donate, Aug. 19 2013
Member 121 (Okanagan Valley, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars Is this hitting the Bob Hope syndrome?, June 26 2002
Steven Laine (Pleasanton, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
This is not at the same level of quality and originality that the earlier books were. The Callahan Touch felt like he's really writing for his die-hard fans who are easier and more lenient on the rough spots. Would someone "get this" if they happened to find a copy at the library? Would it stand on its own? It's sort of like all those Star Trek paperbacks they've written over the last decade, if you love the characters, you love being able to keep reading about them, even in a sub-par tale. This book is where the series starts to be about a cult rather than simply telling a story about a unique group of people. They are starting to be larger and better than life. The blur between fictional characters and events, and the desire to have them exist in real life gets a little fuzzed. (Callahan's Key will take it even further down this path.) . Look, I love the stories but I'm not converting to a religion. What is the old saying? "It is the story, and not the teller"? I don't care if Spider is a cool guy or not, I just want a good story to read and maybe think about. Spider seems to have begun to be in it for the money. Not a bad thing at all, it's just it was so much more fun when it was about just the story.
But, who really cares? I'm critical because I expect a lot based on the enjoyment I've had with this group of characters over the years. This is, as always, a clever, fun, witty, and enjoyable read. If you've read Robinson before, you will enjoy the Callahan Touch and know he has better stuff out there. If this is your first one, find his earlier stuff now. You're in for a treat!
I'd really love to see Spider write one more fun, old-style Callahan novel. I'd hate to have Spider become like Bob Hope, famous for doing something no one remembers anymore, just that he's famous for being famous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun, light SF, March 15 2002
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
I seem to have started in the middle of this series. First, I read Callahan's Legacy because it was the only one my library had. Then, I found this book in my local used bookstore. So, not only am I out of order, but I'm reading backwards.
But I don't really think that matters. I'm still really enjoying this series from Spider Robinson--the stories of a bunch of really strange folks that hang around a bar, whether the proprietor is the titular Mike Callahan or the narrator Jake Stonebender.
The plot is negligible, when it exists. The main draw is all the varied characters and their wild personalities and how they interact with one another.
Beware, however, the puns come fast and furious. But, if, like me, you think playing with words is the highest form of humor, then pull up a stool because here is a place where "shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased."

5.0 out of 5 stars A pun-filled laugh fest., Jan. 8 1999
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
This book had me laughing all of the way through with it's wacky characters and hilarious puns.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's 'Opening Night' at the bar I'd most like to visit, March 25 1997
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
I recommend this book strongly to anyone who enjoys Robinson's style and past books. Although it isn't necessary to read the previous 'Callahan' books to enjoy this one, it will add to your enjoyment and understanding. Jake opens his new bar, "Mary's Place", to replace the bar destroyed in a minor nuclear explosion at the end of a previous book. Robinson introduces some delightfully odd new characters in "The Callahan Touch", and keeps us in touch with the old timers. He also examines (in a very entertaining way) some very basic human emotions and reactions, including racism, guilt, compassion, love at first sight, and fear of technology. What would YOU do if your computer suddenly wanted to discuss ethics with you

4.0 out of 5 stars Mary's Place; if you thought Callahan's was wierd....., Feb. 18 1997
This review is from: Callahan Touch (Mass Market Paperback)
Although Callahan's crosstime saloon was vaporized into a sizzling crater, the gang is all back. A new bar is open; called "Mary's Place" in rememberance of Calahan's daughter. The puns, wierdness, and genuine camadarie are just as strong as ever...in addition to an un-lucky duck, a guilty scientist, a walking thirst, a computer that turns itsself on, and a surprise appearance (sic) by an old favorite. Grab an Irish coffee, curl up with this book, and laugh until you cry with those folks we're so fond of

ARRAY(0xf5c7de0)

Callahan Touch
Callahan Touch by Spider Robinson (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01