5.0 out of 5 stars Just another great story
Anne McCaffrey piles of wonderful books. Some I really like, some are ok, and few did nothing for me. This book is one of those that you just fall in love with. Great plot, great characters, enough of surprise to keep you interested -- good character building. It is experience just to read the book.
Published 3 months ago by Collin C. Carbno

3.0 out of 5 stars I love McCaffrey but this one was a little lacking.
Published on May 29 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Just another great story, Jan. 9 2014
Collin C. Carbno (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars I love McCaffrey but this one was a little lacking., May 29 2004
Amazon Customer (Birmingham, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
There had to be an end to the Rowan series. I only wish the end of the series was a little deeper and memorable. The best thing about this book was Laria and Kincaid's relationship. It was just not developed enough. I will not tell anyone not to read this book but I will say that you need to prepare yourself for a not so easy read. I did not waste my money, but Anne McCaffrey has a lot better books out there. She is still my favorite though!

2.0 out of 5 stars Jumbled collection of sub-plots, May 14 2004
Serene - See all my reviews
I wanted to like Tower and the Hive, which is the conclusion to McCaffrey's talent series, but I found this novel to be a confusing jumble of prose and an endless parade of insipid minor characters all worshiping at the altar of Lyon/Raven.
The Lyon/Raven family are all just too good to be true. Everyone (except the bad guys), seem to love them. They are saintly.They can do no wrong. They never die. Please.
Even the Lyon/Raven clan's relationships are all perfect. Each couple is more than happy to settle down to become a Lyon/Raven baby-making machine. When accidental pregnancy occurs the prospective fathers all seem to be happy and thrilled. I don't know about you, but I found this to be too saccharin for words.
The only character that really interested me was Laria. But I found her relationship with Kincaid to be implausible and unhealthy. Everyone's reaction to this was very low key. Kincaid is gay; we've seen no indications otherwise in any of the previous books. To have the Mrdini manipulate them to become a couple seemed wrong somehow. Perhaps if Kincaid had bi leanings...But suddenly to get involved in a long term straight relationship? Implausible. Especially when the same character says at some late point: "I'll love you as much as my sexual orientation allows..." Either he loves Laria, or he doesn't why give us a qualifier?
Other than that, there are several loose plot threads and silliness. The whole part with the 'Nose' was just ridiculous. The human nose is just not that sensitive. And what about the ethics of manipulating an entire species using biological warfare? This novel seemed like the jumbled collection of several different prospective novels rolled into one. It lacked the cohesion I've come to expect from a McCaffrey novel and left me feeling unsatisfied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, underdeveloped aand unfinished, March 17 2004
"avid123reader" (ST IVES, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all the others in this series, and all the dragon books multiple times, I doubt I will reread this one. It had lots of potential, the disfunctional talents, the tensions on home worlds, the unease about the Lyon clan, tensions between human and mridini all of which could have gone somewhere and didn't.
There is certainly potential for another book- but I hope its not as dull as this one

3.0 out of 5 stars A Medium Rate Conclusion to a series, April 11 2003
Erik Weikum "EAW" (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
While I greatly enjoyed the first 4 books in this series, this the 5th book is rather slow. Its almost as if it was written to finish off a contract or just to give the author another book out there. Don't get me wrong the writting is fine and all, but the storyline is rather flatline. Nothing really exciting or dangerous happens, we just observe a lot of politics, family interaction and fleet movements. All in all I'd say this book can be safely skipped, barrowed from the library or purchased if you really want to complete the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory conclusion to an engrossing saga., March 20 2003
Nina M. Osier (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
In this last of McCaffrey's Talent stories, the psychically gifted team of Angharad "The Rowan" Gwynn and Jeff Raven of Deneb have the dynasty they've founded to draw upon as Humankind takes its long battle against the insect-like Hivers to the home-worlds of that destructive species. For, as Jeff tells one of the Talents' critics in exasperation, the best way to get new Talent is to breed it! Which is why, like every other book in this series, THE TOWER AND THE HIVE is as much about the Gwynn-Raven and Raven-Lyon family as it is about the struggle between the Human-Mrdini alliance and the incomprehensible Hivers.
Since I've been following this series from its beginning, I already cared about Damia Gwynn-Raven, Afra Lyon (a "methody" Capellan who more than holds his own despite his wife's considerably greater mental powers), and their young adult children. The new generation's coming-of-age stories play out while the book's "A plot" unfolds, and I am pleased that (as in real life) every single loose end does not get tied up - but nothing major is left hanging to frustrate the reader. The resolution of the Hiver threat is handled not at all as I might have expected! Which is a good thing, and the author doesn't rob her "villains" of their wonderfully creepy alien-ness in the process. The Mrdini, though, become more alien than ever before as we get a look at their culture (and their biology) that is almost too close for comfort.
A satisfactory conclusion to an engrossing saga.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was McCaffrey awake?, Oct. 29 2002
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
Was Anne McCaffrey awake when she wrote this book? I have never encountered such a paint by numbers effort from this author. There was no character depth or development, and the plot was simplistic to the point of boredom. It does not end the series at all. I'll stick to the earlier books in the series and will never attempt this one again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, disappointing end to the saga..., Jan. 15 2002
Lawrence R. Williams (Warrenville, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
The Rowan/Damia series, has to date been wonderful. But not here! In an ending I describe as "throw the material from two books into one and finish it up" this book looks VERY rushed, pushed and uncomfortable with itself. What a shame to end the series on such a note. People and events are refered to out of context to such an extent that you reread earlier parts of the book to make sure the pages aren't missing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a terribly good read, Dec 22 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Tower and the Hive (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read Anne Mccaffrey books since I was 14 & loved them all, but The Tower & the Hive left me so disappointed. Wishy-washy characters, weak storylines, and more questions than answers does not make a good final book in the series. The story also didn't flow for me & seemed unfocused. What on earth were the publishers thinking letting this book go to print? A pre-teen new to her work may get some enjoyment from this book, but not those who have read McCaffrey's other books and know how well she truly can write.

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable story, but I hope it's not really the end..., Nov. 14 2000
"xander37" (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
I liked the story, but I think it leaves too many unanswered questions. The solution to the Hivers' expansion is finally revealed (at least, it appears so), but there are lots of concepts and ideas left to explore.
I seriously hope there will be another story coming after this one. I did enjoy it, but it lacks finality and closure in places. All in all, a good read, but I was distinctly left wanting more when I came to the end.

ARRAY(0xac04848c)

The Tower and the Hive
The Tower and the Hive by Anne McCaffrey (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 29 2013)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54