biss boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage vd2016beauty Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 11-20 of 22 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on October 12, 2001
Gibson's style of writing is not what I'm used to. He throws several charecters out at you at once. Also, he jumps into a scene right in the middle of something (which threw me off to the start) with out giving you any detail as to what is going on. I am used to reading books with a preface or something that gives you a little idea as to what is happening at the beginning of the book. If you like books that you definately need a dictionary to read, I recommend this one. Other wise I would stay as far away from it as possible. Totally not for me.
on October 26, 1998
This is the only book that I have started, and not finish. I really hated doing this, but I had no desire to see what happened after I was half way through. The book is written in strange prose with unusal terms, which make the book hard to follow. I bought this book because of all the praise which it recieved from the Amazon readers, I found it really bizarre. It may have been innovative in its time but I find it rather weird. Their is much better SF to read (aka Ender's Game).
on February 28, 2000
I can't believe that this piece of trash is considered a "classic". Gibson cannot write to save his life! I surmise Gibson's objectives in this book as follow: - Do a really bad imitation of Hemingway style
- In place of plots, throw in heaps of incoherent and cliched episodes
- In place of characters, throw in the most cliched and stereotyped cut-outs possible
- Confuse the heck out of readers, and they'll respect you as a 'visionary'
For the paragon of cyberpunk, read "Snow Crash". If you want to know what I consider a supreme example of sci-fi (with great plot and characters), read "Ender's Game".
0Comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 1999
I tried to read this book as I was lead to believe that it's similar to Philip K. Dick's writings. First time I could not progress further than about 50 pages. The writing was so awful, the story so forced, cliched- like a pretentious Barbara Cartland. But I tried again a few months later. I lasted to some love/sex scene, which made me laugh and throw this garbage away.
on October 27, 2000
You know how there are some books you just can't put down? Well, this is one of those books you just can't put up... The book is confusing, with confusing characters and a plot that will easily bore seasoned sci fi readers. It just doesn't make any sense and the author looses his audience by making up his own world in such a way that you just can't follow it. I am very disapointed with this book. The characters have no 'light' and the sequence of events is a total mess. I'll give it credit for originality though. It's an orginal book in the way it bores the reader. Avoid.
on June 25, 1997
If you need an indicator of how overrated Gibson and this book are, you only need to look down this list of reviews. Someone even says Gibson is "Perhaps the best 20th century writer!" Style has truly triumphed over substance. If you demand a bit more from a book than cliches, poor plotting and characterisation, try something else
on March 13, 2001
Hey! I've got an idea. Why don't I write a book in which I hide behind technological jargon so people have no idea what the plot is? These were the exact thoughts of Mr. Gibson as he contemplated writing this novel. The story is easily forgettable. What makes it even easier to forget this plot is that you can't rightly tell what the plot is. Someone clue me in, please. But for now, while all of you critically acclaim this book, I don't understand why.
on June 29, 1999
i'm with the reader from "middle america". true cyberpunk is rudy rucker. gibson is worse than a bad 80's movie and as such is fraught with all the typical cliches. nothing revolutionary happened here. stephen king meets total recall. BOORRINNGG.
on July 9, 1999
A completely boring, useless book. That it has become a classic proves that most readers of Science Fiction have no idea of what good writing is all about.
on September 8, 2001
If you like to expand your mind with ..., this book is for you.