4.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up!
Blood Bound is the second book in the Mercedes Thompson series, and I enjoyed it even more than I enjoyed the first book, Moon Called. Now that the characters and the world are set and explained, I felt the author dug deeper into the characters stories and personalities.

Published on Nov. 5 2009 by the Infinite Shelf

3.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first, just could have been 50 pages shorter
Good plot, great heroine, wonderful setting...

but...

I just felt that Patricia wanted to make a book close to 300 pages and tacked on another confrontation after the final showdown just to make this book longer. She could have wrapped things up at 250 and put out a really tight, if not short, book.
Published on May 29 2007 by Eric J. Kregel

4.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up!, Nov. 5 2009
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)

Mercy was again a strong character in this novel, but like in the first book, she still had her limitations ' which I particularly enjoy since I get easily annoyed by characters who stupidly run in the direction of danger. She's still trying to figure out who she wants to be with between Adam and Samuel. I have to say that I admire Briggs for how she writes Mercy and her questioning on possible relationships. They felt realistic enough in the context, but also very serious. Mercy doesn't take her relationships lightly : like other aspects of her life, she takes time to consider things on every angle before making a choice.

Mercy isn't alone in this story, and once more I really enjoyed the characters surrounding her. I have to say that I have a thing for her vampire friend Stefan. He's not all evil, but he's not all nice either, and like Mercy he really thinks things through. Samuel and Adam were great, too : I really, really love how Adam tries to make his relationship with Mercy work, and Samuel's story is just heartbreaking. I also liked knowing more about Ben in this story. He wasn't the most memorable character from the first book (he was mostly mean and annoying), but this one revealed another side of him. We are also introduced to a new man and his daughter, and I really hope we'll know more about them in the next books.

As for the novel's main plot, I really enjoyed it. It was good, dark and filled with action, but more than that I loved how it affected the characters in a personal way. I'm thinking of Samuel, for instance, but all the others, too. It gave another dimension to the story and the danger, that was more than the usual 'life or death' situation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Bound, Aug. 1 2009
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
Werewolves are now out of the closet but it doesn't ease out any of Mercy's relations with the pack. She owes a favor to Stefan, after he helped her on a previous mission, Mercy agrees to escort him in her coyote form as a costume accessory. Being an piece of clothing ended up being more painful then it first seemed, when she witness a bloody murder and takes some good hits in the mean time. A vampire, also sorcerer possessed by a demon roams in the streets of Tri-Cities, leaving a bloody trail behind. Werewolves and vampires work together to stop him and Mercy won't stay on the bench for so long!

An other great Mercedes adventure here. I really enjoyed the book, was already and the last pages without realising I already reached the end. I love how Mercy can't set her mind about her desires for Sam and Adam, and now Stefan is poking around showing some interest to. I'm excited to know how all of this will unfold in the next novel.

Mercy is still a very strong character but we can see that she evolved since the precious novel, she's more careful with who she trusts and get some serious thinking and effort into her mission. She comes out stronger but also wounded and it sure will be interesting to see the consequences.

Once again a great novel from Patricia Briggs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story!, March 13 2014
Jenifer Mohammed, Author of Resurrecting Cybe... (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Excellent story with a lot of surprising twists and turns. Stefan's relationship and feelings for Mercy are more fleshed out and her relationship with Adam develops further as well. The powerful new villain, a demon vampire provides a lot of dangerous action and a new insight into the political games being played out in the vampire seethe. Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good urban fantasy - love Stefan!, June 25 2013
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
Blood Bound is the second book in the Mercy Thompson series.

Mercy is contacted in the middle of the night by her undead friend, Stefan, who asks for her help. She owes him a favour for his help in the last book, Moon Called, so she agrees when he asks her to accompany him in coyote form to visit another vampire named Cory Littleton. Stefan knows that Littleton will not be threatened by Mercy’s coyote and that it is unlikely that he will be able to use mind control on her. Stefan, however, is not so sure that he is immune to Littleton’s powers, who is not just an ordinary vampire but also a sorcerer. He allowed the demon to take possession of him, which makes him dangerous. While the two survive the encounter, Stefan has been ordered by Marcilia, the leader of the local vampire seethe, to bring Littleton to her so that she can take him under her control. When Stefan disappears and is presumed dead, no one is more surprised than Mercy when Marcilia asks for her help in finding Littleton and putting a stop to him.

Stefan was one of my favourite characters in Moon Called, so I was really stoked that he was featured prominently in Blood Bound. I enjoyed the book, but I am afraid that Briggs has spoiled me with her Alpha & Omega series. I love Mercy, who totally kicks ass, but I am missing the hot romance that is present in her other series. The love triangle between Mercy, Adam, and Samuel has potential but there have not been any major sparks so far. I am hoping that this will change.

I’m still a fan of the series and will keep reading!

Lorelei King does this series justice. It is often difficult for female narrators to successfully pull off the male vocalizations, but King pulls it off. I also think she does a great job with the tongue-in-cheek humour that is sprinkled throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delievers what is promises, March 25 2007
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
A good book with non-stop action and plot twists. The writing is average; no lyrical beauty here. The main character is touchingly confused but this gets to be a little overbearing as she seems incapable of making a stanch decision. Still a decent; no thought required book that is good enough for me to read the next one.

The book delivers what it promises, which is more than you can say for many books.

3.0 out of 5 stars As good as the first, just could have been 50 pages shorter, May 29 2007
Eric J. Kregel "Gaucho" (High Prairie, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
Good plot, great heroine, wonderful setting...

but...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Solid Reading, May 16 2014
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
I missed this one when it first came out, but it is a solid read.

Mercedies goes up against a vampire sorcerer, and wins. Meanwhile the other wolves in Adam's group are none to sure what to make of their Alpha Wolf getting involved with a coyote.

Good light reading, I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blood Bound, Nov. 20 2012
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
Patricia Briggs doesn't disappoint. Another excellent Mercedes Thompson story with an well developed cast, great setting and mythology. I am totally addicted to this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to the first book in the series., Nov. 4 2010
GinRobi (Timmins, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
**Spoiler Alert!** If you plan on reading the book, do not continue reading this review. ... Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you.

The second book in the series, we begin not too far where the first one left off.

Stefan, a vampire, calls Mercy for help. A vampire has come to the city but not has not asked Master vampire, Marsilia, for hunting rights. That is vampire law. But Stefan also believes that this is the vampire that hurt his friend Daniel, and he wants to make the vampire pay. But he wants Mercy's help - in her coyote form. The vampire won't see more than that, and if Stefan's right, he's going to need a human witness. Reluctantly, being the wee hours of the morning, she agrees, and changes form when he picks her up.

Trouble quickly escalates. This new vampire, Littleton, isn't just a vampire. He's also a sorcerer. This was known to be forbidden, to turn a sorcerer. Whoever turned him has lost control of him, and now they need to discover who.

Marsilia sends Stefan to hunt down this vampire. Stefan wants Daniel at his side, even though he's in bad shape. Adam sends Warren and Ben with Stefan to help, and as back up. But then they all go missing. Warren turns up beaten and near death. Mercy has seen the ghost of Daniel and knows that bad is getting close to worse. Worse comes when Adam and Samuel both go missing after they set out to find Ben and Stefan. And the strange thing happens: Marsilia asks Mercy for her help. Together, with Marsilia's second, Andre, they set off to find the missing and make sure Littleton's dead. However it was unsaid, Marsilia wants Littleton alive. Mercy's determined to make sure he's dead.

Oh, I loved this one almost as much as the first! What I hadn't realized in the first book, was that Mercy is a Shifter, not a were and because she is a Shifter, vampire wiles don't work as well on her. Plus, she can see and talk to ghosts. I hadn't realized that Mrs. Hanna was a ghost in the first novel. Oh, but I got it this time, when she saw Daniel's shaking form and no one else did.

I was sort of surprised by who had turned the sorcerer, and sort of not. If I'd known about how jealous this vamp was of Stefan, I'd have caught on earlier. (And while my reviews are usually littered with spoilers, I'm not saying who!) What I truly took to heart and completely understood, was the final chapters and what Mercy felt and her actions. I completely understood and agreed why she went after the vamp. She did what she had to do, what she thought was right, regardless of whatever trouble she could get into. And for another vamp to tell her that he could do the same, gave me chills. Will he keep his word and not tell Marsilia? Will he keep his word and not turn a sorcerer? Only time will tell - but I get the chills every time I think about it.

Again, Mercy's integrity plays a roll, and I adore her for it.

Samuel has been having a tough time. He's admitted to something in his past, while he was in Texas, and I can understand why his current state of mind is close to destroying him. Still, I don't trust him. I don't trust that he truly wants Mercy for her, and not for the fact that she's a Shifter and could very possibly carry their children to term.

The attaction between Mercy and Adam still simmers just below the surface, and I quiver every time. There's a scene where they are sparing, and just when I think this is it, Jessie, Adam's daughter, interrupts. Dang it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood Bound., July 8 2010
Lorraine Sewell "Lsewell" (On, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blood Bound (Mass Market Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I really liked how strong and entertaining the main character, Mercy Thompson, was. Although there were only two parts where i was really, really eager to turn the page, i found that no parts in it were a chore to read. A few things confused me (though I'm hoping they will be straightened out in the next books), but overall i found myself incedibly eager to read the next books in the series. However, i didn't find a lot of romance in this book, I am also hoping that will pick up in the later books. A great buy for any fantasy/light romance lover.

Blood Bound
Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 30 2007)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54