4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait!
Published on May 6 2009 by Ellen

2.0 out of 5 stars Running out of ideas
Published on June 8 2009 by Mc. Cats

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Running out of ideas, June 8 2009
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
I didn't think that this book in the series was of the same quality of her other Sookie Stackhouse books. It seems that the story is getting stretched a little thin and the story line with these "new characters" doesn't seem to fit. And of course, still the same dilemmas over Eric and Bill which is getting very tiresome. Just pick one all ready! I enjoyed most of the other books in the series but not this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars For Fans of the Series only, Aug. 16 2009
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
I have to agree with some of the other mixed reviews of this book. It did seem very poorly edited and very rushed at the end. For someone who loves the series so far and waited not so patiently for this installment, it was disappointing. Having said that, I would still buy book 10 when it somes out, because I still have hope that the series will be completed with an great ending.

2.0 out of 5 stars so disapointed, May 24 2009
T. Leamen - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
After watching True Blood marathon style in one weekend I went out 2.5 weeks ago and bought all 8 Sookie books and tore through them.
I went out this past week and got Dead and Gone.
Wow.

I cannot believe how poorly written this book is and how little attention to detail there was.

I hope the next book is back on track

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait!, May 6 2009
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
This is the 9th book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I've enjoyed all nine of them for different reasons. "Dead and Gone" is 312 pages of the characters we already know (and some new ones). I found it a fast read and, for me, it was worth the wait. I'm not disappointed that Charlaine Harris took the reader in a somewhat different direction, otherwise, the book would just be a repeat of the previous story-lines. There's no mention of a 10th book, however, based on the content, I'm not sure where the author could take us, that would keep it interesting. I would, however, buy the 10th book, if it became available - just because I enjoy reading what the characters get up to!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK read for fans but series is losing steam!, Jan. 25 2010
Ron H "Ron H" (Oakville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed this series by Charlaine Harris but this will be my last book read as I believe the concept has hit a wall for her. I might try some of her other works but the Sookie Stackhouse series feels past its prime.

This book was o.k. and fans will generally enjoy it. It is a familiar cast of characters and while the story seems jumpy at times it was a good read. That being said I find there is little new in discovery with her characters and the world which she has created now seems constrained. There was little new discovery of the world and the character stories seemed stayed. For the most part this was a basic murder mystery just set in an already well developed world. Again, I enjoyed the series immensely, thought this book was o.k. but will be moving on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, May 9 2009
C. Hipwell "Book Lover" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
Firstly I believe true fans of the series will not be deterred by a bad review from reading this latest release, but I agree with all the previous bad reviews. I love this series but that does not mean I enjoyed this book. I finished it in a couple hours and I found myself doing alot of skimming. The book did not seem to have enough substance, storylines were all over the place and I felt that it was put together rather quickly, and with the quickly botched together ending the end product is not worth buying. Luckily I did not have to purchase this book or else I would have been rather ticked with the lack of substance for the steep hardcover price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reading previous reviews prepared me, Dec 14 2010
listerines (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
-Minor Spoilers-
I was a little hesitant in getting this book after reading some of the reviews. I have found that as the Sookie series continues, it has lost momentum. I think after the first 4 or 5 books, I began to expect that bit of intense romance nested somewhere in each book. I loved Dead to the World, when Sookie has a romance with Eric. But I have decided to see the series through, even if it means spending more money, and wondering if (as lots of other reviewers have) the series will end in Sookie having matured and learned from her adventures and romances, with a happy (weird) ending. Since I braced myself for the violence against pregnant women (which I didn't actually find too heavy handed, although I did find Claudine's death while expecting unnecessary to the story), and was resigned to the fact that this book would not find Sookie making any major romantic decisions, I enjoyed it very much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy, May 8 2009
S. Holt (SK, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
First of all it seems poorly edited. So many things were talked about in detail over and over again as if Harris had either forgotten she'd already written it, or was just trying to reach a word count. This left much of the novel hallow and boring with little substance, then crams in as much as possible into the last chapters. It seems like the series is floundering and she's bitten off more story lines than she can chew. These last two installments have been a real disappointment and get worse in quality with every release. The only reason I keep reading is for the possibility that the eternally posited question of "bill or eric?" may find an answer. You won't find it in the book. Surprised? You shouldn't be.

4.0 out of 5 stars book 9, May 30 2009
Paige Turner (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
I found the book moved a little too quickly at certain points, I would have preferred to have a little more background into sookie's kin. Also the fact that they will not be coming back again was a little disappointing it's almost like what was the point in the first place?
You just got a little taste of those characters and now they're gone. Hopefully Charlaine Harris will Reconsider her decision and bring them back also I'm an Eric fan and wasn't too happy with Bill being a big part of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seemed a bit rushed, Oct. 17 2009
This review is from: Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel (Hardcover)
I eagerly awaited the release of this book and although it was very good, it seemed like Harris was rushed when writing this. It lacked a certain something that the previous books in this series had. It was still interesting and I couldn't put it down but I hope the next book is better:)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel
Dead and Gone: A Sookie Stackhouse Novel by Charlaine Harris (Hardcover - May 5 2009)
CDN$ 32.50 CDN$ 20.38