5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new dark fantasy, great debut novel
Published on Dec 11 2011 by B. Lawson

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, but Deeply Disturbing
Jorg is a vicious, depraved psychopath. The novel is extremely violent (so if you don't like dark fantasy with graphic, violent scenes I would recommend avoiding this novel).

Published 16 months ago by A. Soares

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new dark fantasy, great debut novel, Dec 11 2011
This review is from: Prince of Thorns (Hardcover)
I can't believe there isn't more buzz about this book. I could not put it down and I am truly choosy about fantasy, mostly because we have been spoiled in the last few years with books from the likes of Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie, Brent Weeks and Pat Rothfuss. Prince of Thorns read like a combination of Weeks and Abercrombie with a dash of GRRM thrown in - this is noir fantasy at its best. A dark, flawed hero, a mission of mad revenge, a mix of crude and cultured - this book has it all. The humor is grim and bloody and there are no light themes, so tread carefully if you like your stories cheerful. It is very well written indeed, and I find that it's always trickier in first person, plus the alternative chapters between past and present can be distracting inn a less deft hand. Not here though, they just build like a carefully layered cake, adding depth and flavor with each turn. If you don't know this author yet, you should. Can hardly wait for the second installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no good end where he is concerned, July 21 2014
This book is polarizing, and it comes down to whether you need your main character to be likeable or merely interesting. Jorg is not likeable. You would not want to be friends with him. He is pure poison who despoils everything he touches. There is no good end where he is concerned, but (and this is important) he is an interesting character. Some of the reviews dismiss him as merely a violent sociopath; he's not. Which is to say he's not merely anything. He's Jorg, and dismissing the series simply because the main character is a bad man is like saying Macbeth has no literary merit because the titular character is a jerk.

But rather than arguing with other reviewers (and I could spend all day doing that, honestly), I'll just say what I liked. It's a short trilogy, and it comes to a satisfying conclusion. Mr. Lawrence doesn't leave you hanging, he doesn't stretch it out, there aren't pointless subplots with characters whose only purpose is to die tragically. It's tightly woven, well written, and worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Story, July 7 2014
After reading the five available books in the Song of Ice and Fire series I really felt empty and hsd trouble fjndjng anothed story as compelling. Luckily, I somehow stumbled on to this gem. Jorg Ancrath is not a good guy, in fact he's fairly evil, but completely fascinating. The world Lawrence creates is very original and halfway through thr book pieces about its origin become clear.

Additionally, enough can't bd said for thd author's prose. a sheer delight to read, even in its darkest moments. I highly recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, but Deeply Disturbing, March 5 2013
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Jorg, and his band of "brothers" are raping, killing, pillaging criminals. Jorg suffered traumatic events in his youth with the death of his mother and brother and vowed revenge on those involved. Jorg is an "anti-hero". There is to me nothing likable about him. This book is a look into a truly depraved mind, as he seeks his revenge and retakes his place as Prince of Ancrath.

I admit that the book was well written, but I am not sure that I enjoy this type of writing and am on the sidelines on whether or not to purchase the next installment. The pace of the novel was quick, the plot was so-so (really only out of the ordinary due to the extremely violent, bloody take on it), but the fantasy aspect was seamlessly woven in (very realistically). Readers of Joe Abercrombie will probably enjoy this (although I much preferred the First Law trilogy which was also extremely violent but had, to me, a more interesting plot and more likable, relatable characters).

2.0 out of 5 stars Good setting, bad everything else., July 6 2014
The world of The Broken Empire is quite interesting, and that's about all the good I can say about this book. To quote it's author

"Prince of Thorns is about a charming, dangerous, and amoral boy growing into a charming, dangerous, and amoral young man. On the journey he cuts down pretty much everything and everyone who gets in his way, and he's rather creative when it comes to the business of killing."

If you want violence, bloodshed, and ambition, with unsympathetic characters devoid of anything approaching likeability or morality, then this may be a good book for you. If you want sympathetic characters, or even characters that don't cross moral event horizons as you or I cross the street, don't bother with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully impressed, Sept. 19 2013
NO SPOILERS!
I purchased this book on amazon's recommendation and barely made it past the first chapter. I was struggling in the beginning with not only how unexpectedly dark the content was, but the frequent jumping about the author makes.
That said, about halfway into the book things piece themselves together and I got the 'aha! this totally makes sense now' moment, and the rest of the series was smooth sailing. I hate stories with loose ends and the author makes sure to tie them up. I also loved the curveballs the author threw my way (I HATE reading a story and can accurately predict how events will play out).
If you found Abercrombie's 'the blade itself' and Martin's 'game of thrones' storyline and characters deep and entertaining you should give this series a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the makings of an Epic!, Aug. 12 2013
This review is from: Prince of Thorns (Hardcover)
This book nuked my expectations. A very dark protagonist, tells you a story that allows the reader to understand the orgin of his evil and almost root for him despite his ruthless ways. Well done Mr. Lawrence, I look forward to reading your books for many years to come. Incredible start to what looks to be a extremely promising career.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Epic Fantasy with a huge lead character, June 29 2013
Asher "on the prairie" (Alberta, CA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ah, Jorg.
We have so much in common.

This book had me curious from the start; with it's very mixed reviews and objectionable violent content, I thought it would, perhaps, not be to my taste. Also, the opening scenes are Graphic which can be somewhat off-putting, depending on a particular reader. I slipped through the beginning with a curl in my lip and immediately began to identify with the main character: Jorg. He's intense, sexual, vicious, driven, opinionated, determined and best-of-all, he's Dumb-F*** lucky! With a strong voice throughout, I loved to hate Jorg and his nasty companions. The Brotherhood is gritty, dirty, evil but all have the potential to be redeemed, or so you are tempted to think... Their fierce loyalty to Jorg and each other causes them to be a force equivalent to 30 times their number and they are wonderful to read in a scrap! Who didn't adore the Nuban and his crossbow? Who didn't adore Makin, the Captain of the Guard-turned-Black Knight? Who didn't equally despise and guiltily love Little Rikey and Red Kent?

The writing is very good. I'm not going to say it's in a league with G.R.R. Martin, but it's presentable and I feel it's a work in progress. Mark Lawrence does a marvelous job with his story and you can tell he loves this work, even if it's missing a Super strong editor to counter some minor writing issues. Character development, plot, vocabulary and sequential movement of the story; it's all here and it's solid.

The graphic content in the book had some people complaining, but honestly---has anyone read "The Game of Thrones"? I'm stealing from another great reviewer, but he was exactly right. GofT was Far more disturbing due to it's violent and adult subject matter. This book was simply great all around, regardless of the violence.

Jorg has his demons to best and I LOVE to watch him do it. I love his strong narrative an how he expresses himself to the reader. Interestingly, he's Funny! I like his cold wit and engaging sarcasm. This character Makes the book. Way to Go Mark. Looking forward "King of Thorns"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so dark as advertised, entertaining read, will probably read the sequel., April 1 2013
Marc Holmes (Montreal QC) - See all my reviews
Good read, entertaining, plenty of action, heroic stuff, grand scale adventure in a gritty setting. This book gets a lot of grief for being a 'difficult' read - I don't think so. It's not The Road. It's not American Psycho. It's action/adventure in a medieval-analog world. Kings are dictators with brutal armies yes, sometimes the innocent suffer yes, some dudes faces get caved in yes. But really, there is nothing so graphic or disturbing I'd tell anyone to back off. If you can read/watch Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, you can certainly read this. All the grimness is in service of the hero's journey. I'm planning on reading the sequel - as soon as they stop charging hardcover prices for a damn e-book. Freaking publishers. Not the author's fault! Just a pet peeve of mine. I wish Lawrence had self-pubbed. I'd have bought them both and pre-ordered the third at self-pub prices and he'd be making more than what he gets from the legacy house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where do we go from here, March 21 2014
Not as gripping as the first book. It seems to have lost its initial direction of mediaeval historical fantasy and moved towards a more brooding,pseudo spiritual introspective tale . Not as satisfying for me

Prince of Thorns
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence (Hardcover - Aug. 2 2011)
CDN$ 30.00 CDN$ 18.81