5.0 out of 5 stars How great is this book?
I believe that this book is one of a kind. Very rarely do we find the second book of a trilogy with equal (if not greater) quality. Anne McAffery not only tells us about descendants of the great and powerful Rowan, but of one of the charachters that we hardly knew anything about, Afra.
Published on Sept. 15 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm..........okay............?
This book it just basically a retelling of part of the Rowan with a bit of love and the token monster thrown in at the end. If you like romance,you'd like this book, but personally I think it dosen't hold up to the 'Dragonrider' series.
Published on Jan. 31 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars A little disturbing, but rewarding overall., Oct. 6 2003
Nina M. Osier (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
The Lyon family of "methody" Capella are Talented folk. This means that they possess telepathic and telekinetic abilities in varying degrees and combinations, although none has the power of a "Prime." Young Afra chafes under the emotional repression and strict propriety of his home-world, and delights in his beloved older sister Goswina's brief apprenticeship to the Rowan - the most powerful Prime Talent known to FT&T.
As a young man, Afra has his own chance to work with the Rowan. He and that lonely woman strike up a rare and wonderful friendship, destined to endure throughout their lifetimes. But romance isn't part of their synergy, and both yearn to find it with other partners. Which the Rowan does, eventually, with an equally powerful but untrained telepath from Deneb: Jeff Raven. Whom she marries, and partners with when FT&T's "Talents" are the only viable defense against an alien invasion.
The Rowan and Jeff Raven produce a family of Talented children, including a daughter named Damia. From childhood, this third in their brood proves herself the most Talented human yet born. She's also temperamental, strong-willed, and unpredictable; and the most important person in her life, from its earliest hours, proves to be her mother's friend and colleague Afra.
Although this book includes some thrilling passages of interstellar conflict carried out by telepathic and telekinetic means, the romance of Damia Gwyn-Raven and Afra Lyon forms its heart and occupies most of its pages. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this romance. The author handles Afra's transition from parental figure to suitor in Damia's life well enough, and there is certainly nothing wrong with a grown woman (even a rather young one) choosing to marry an older man. Nevertheless I came away with residual discomfort, because even McCaffrey couldn't quite convince me that this close friend of Damia's mother (in an emotional sense, her uncle) had any business sharing her bed.
I loved the "coonies" and the Barque Cats, though! And since I've read the rest of the Talent series already, I know that Damia and Afra's marriage is destined to mature into a genuine and healthy partnership. So I would advise other readers to be forewarned that "Damia" may disturb them a little, but I recommend it just the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, July 29 2002
M. Cookson (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
This book first tells the story of Afra, who we met in The Rowan, and then goes on to tell Damia's story. I don't think that this book has the same plot as The Rowan at all, although there are a few similarities. If you were intrigued by Afra in the first book, you'll love him in this book. It was wonderful to find out more about him. Damia's childhood makes for an entertaining read, moreso, I think than the Rowan's. However, the Rowan was much more mature as a teenager and young woman than Damia. Teenage Damia is spoiled and annoying, and it's a wonder Afra could ever put up with her. That was one of the reasons I gave this book a four instead of a five. The other reason is that the whole Damia and Afra relationship seemed very strange. Afra never seemed to be very upset by the fact that he was falling in love with the same person he used to babysit. However, in spite of those two things, I really enjoyed this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars How great is this book?, Sept. 15 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite McCaffrey book!, Aug. 13 2000
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is great!Reading about Rowan and how her children grew up is really interesting.Reading about Afra's childhood and his life afterwards,as a work partner with Rowan,is captivating,and makes one identify with him in all he went through.Damia's childhood fit in very well with Afra's story(or maybe I should say it the other way around),and the life and adventures of Damia hold one's attention.Damia's quick and painful maturity leads into a whole new story,both personally for her and for the humans of the Nine Star League.(I am not giving away the plot!)All in all,a great book about the heroes and their relationships.Read and enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars rehash, July 18 2000
ernie_rtl (Dearborn, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
I LOVED the dragon rider series. 20 years ago I had read everything that McCaffery had ever written. Lately it seems like each McCaffery book I read is more of a disappointment than the last. This book is nearly identical to The Rowan. The plot is recycled. The characters are two dimensional. McCaffery doesn't put any effort into her writing anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, unexpected, and truly the best in the series!, April 6 2000
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
I truly loved Anne McCaffrey's 2nd book in the Rowan series "Damia". The indepth details and the look into the past of Afra and Damia was wonderful. You saw things from both perspectives. The twists and turns of the emotions were unbelieveable and kept you on the edge of your emotional plain. I found myself crying and upset sometimes at the way things played out but it made the end seem that much more pleasant. Truly a work of art by AM. I found the life of Damia, the Rowan's daughter truly unexpected and full of twists unlike her mothers. I highly reccomend the interspace thriller if you like to see a few surprises. I'd tell more but I don't want to ruin the experience. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars McCaffrey's done it again!, Sept. 26 1999
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
Again, McCaffrey has written a marvelous new series. I have read her whole Pern series and loved it. Now this! Its just perfect! The characters are so realistic! I recomend this series a thousand times!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not hard-core SCI-FI, July 27 1999
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
I noticed the rather scathing review from Kirkus (above), and have note the complaints about plot, etc. I especially agree with the "token monster" comment one of the reviwers made. However, DAMIA should be understood as not so much hard-core sci-fi, but panders to a totally different market niche. It is very feel-good, and very enjoyable feel-good, by the way. It focuses very much on relationships, family, power and privilage. The FT&T universe is fun, even if improbable at this point in time (and I mean imprabable in the sci-fi sense - that is, mind power is not within the 'probable' spectrum that serious sci-fi writers pick from). Depending on what you are looking for though, DAMIA, and the other books in this series can be very enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS! This one's a keeper! More, more, more!!!, June 24 1999
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
Out of all McCaffery's works, this is the crowning jewel of her collection. I especially like the scenes of Damia as a bright and adventurous baby. I wish McCaffrey would concentrate on writing more FT&T series because they have a lot more undiscovered potential while her Pern series seems played out.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the BEST works by Anne McCaffrey yet., May 24 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Damia (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read may books by Anne McCaffrey and I thought that the "Rowan" series is one of the best yet besides the "Dragonriders of Pern" series. This series has the potential to be in the same league as Dragonriders. Lots of action and the story keeps you going.

ARRAY(0xa4a0bb4c)

Damia
Damia by Anne McCaffrey (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 28 2012)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54