5.0 out of 5 stars Strange
Heinlein does not get the credit he deserves. Do you know how many movies , authors have used the phrase Stranger in a Strange Land. He too you away with even language that was for the story only.

Let yourself be carried away to another land.
Published 1 month ago by Darrell Ducharme

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine yarn, but dated and self-indulgent.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Heinlein conceived STRANGER in 1948, but didn't finish it until
1960. His editor asked him to cut it from 220,000 to 150,000 words; as
published it was 160,087. It was reissued from the original
manuscript in 1991, and I just got around to reading this "uncut"
edition. I first read...
Published on Dec 28 2003 by Peter D. Tillman

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of imagination, and time, July 23 2001
Patricia A. Powell (gladstone, nj USA) - See all my reviews
WHAT A WASTE! Heinlein writes 226 wonderful, imaginative pages about a human born and raised on Mars and his return to earth. There is now a New World order called the Federation that behaves like a repressive banana republic. They plan to eliminate the Man from Mars because he threatens their plans to own and colonize the red planet. There are flying taxis landing on rooftops, and video telephones, and waterbeds. Michael Smith is the Man from Mars and he has to learn about earth. Because of his genetically superior parents, and his superior upbringing in a nest on Mars, Michael has the powers of a super hero. He can make guns and men disappear when he senses the “wrongness” in them. Of course, he senses the rightness in the main characters. He has no inhibitions when it comes to .... He is fascinated with religion and philosophy. He has complete control over his body, and can discorporate (die) at will. So what does he do. He tries his hand at being a magician, and ends up as an evanglist.
Unfortunately this book is 438 pages long. Unfortunately, Heinlein’s imagination failed him when it comes to women, ..., science, and religion. Unfortunately, Heinlein didn’t write well when he wrote this book.
Others reviewers have picked up on the sexism of the statement, “Nine out of ten times, if a girls gets ..., it’s partly her fault.” But, there are so many more examples.
Other reviewers have picked up on Heinlein’s “cookie cutter” characters. I agree.
Other reviewers have called this book an “adolescent ... fantasy.” I agree. Heinlein groks free love, nudity and water brothers. All that is missing from the 1960’s is the word groovy. Perhaps it is replaced by grok.
Others have called it a diatribe against religion. I agree. His main character, Michael mimics the Christ, but resembles Charles Manson.
To read this book and enjoy it, you have to forget the SCIENCE in science fiction. I just couldn’t do it.
There are so many books, and so little time. I suggest that you do not waste yours reading this one

1.0 out of 5 stars The world's best writer stumbled, July 9 2001
cmpst52 "cmpst52" (Denton, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
Without a doubt, Heinlein was the greatest science-fiction writer of all time. Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, The Green Hills of Earth -- all brilliant classics.
Stranger in a Strange Land is the most boring SF novel I've ever read, though. In this book, NOTHING HAPPENED (sex excepted). Starship Troopers begins with the line, "I always get the skakes before a drop," and doesn't stop moving until the last page. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is an enthralling, exciting war story, too.
In Stranger, people sat around and talked. Sometimes they had sex. A few people got killed by magic.
NOTHING HAPPENS IN THIS BOOK. Read the above mentioned Heinleins; not this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange book to say the least, April 22 2004
Jason Nelson "musshin" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
This book starts off as the typical SF novel of the 50s. A crewship heading to Mars from Earth etc. However, by page 3 they are all dead. We learn of a guy named Valentine Michael Smith as the [love child] of two of the ship's crewmates. This man comes to Earth as basically an idiot who later learns to "grok" or understand a little about human culture. He develops powers, forms relationships, forms a church and longs for the truth whatever that may be. His intelligence vastly increases and he seeks to help humans discover the truth and realize their own natures. Repeatedly throughout the book he utters the statement "Thou are God." This seems to be one of the book's themes. That the idea of God is within all of us because we are all essentially God. This story is revered in many Science Fiction cirlces and is kind of a cultural icon to earlier groups like the hippies. For me though the story just didn't groove. There were too many dull periods when one of the characters would sermonize on philosophical points. I love philosophy but these characters were sermonizing on how Judeo-Christian culture is defunct and that the old moral norms do not apply to our day. This is somewhat true but at the same time seems to be a justification for letting anything go as long as it feels right. (...) free love, and down with anything that tells us how we should behave. This message seems to be outdated and one of rebellion against so-called oppressive times of the past. Therefore, I found it hard to get really interested since it seems like old hat. Another point about this book to its credit is that you don't have to be a big SF fan to read it. There's not any activity taking place on other planets or in space. There are some SF-like gadgets but for the most part the story centers around characters and plot. Some of the characters are interesting. Like the old lawyer Father-figure Jubal and like Mike (The Martian) himself. However, as I said I thought some of the settings and places of the characters got rather dull and then the last part of the book when it goes into depth about the church formed by Mike and his followers carried on way too long. Despite these points there are some nuggets of wisdom contained in the book and there are also some funny happenings in the book. But for the most part I was rather puzzled by what the fuss concerning this book was all about. It's okay. Perhaps I didn't "grok" it in fullness.

1.0 out of 5 stars I finished it, but...., July 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (pretty good overall), and went to SIASL because it had been recommended it to me before.
Besides the good anti-gov't lines (mostly quips), there's not much to recommend the book. I'm glad I read it to say I read it, but I'm not ever going to read it again. Why?
1. Jubal. Supposed to come across as a wise, lovable old coot, but I found him annoying and I don't ever want to meet such a pompous person. He ruled every situation, and I don't think he deserved to. I can't stomach him again.
2. Free love. Against human nature. People will, in general, get jealous and get hurt.
3. Polylogism - the Martians have superior logic. Um, there can't be different logics. See Wittgenstein.
4. Anti-religion but all religions lead to the truth? I certainly don't buy that. The scenes in heaven...wow, I don't know what to say.
5. Characters overall. I didn't like any of them. I didn't care about any of them, and I hated how snappy the dialogue was. People don't talk like that ALL the time. I guess most of Heinlein's dialogue is like that, but it was a major flaw in this book.
I'm a woman but I didn't mind the sexist stuff. It wasn't all that bad. "Terrifyingly homophobic"? I thought it was rather pro-homosexual, as much as it could be, as Mike talked a bit about how wonderful the bipolarity of man and woman was. Homosexual sex doesn't really fit into that view.
My least favorite Heinlein book. Read Moon or Starship Troopers and skip this book if you can.

Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49