5.0 out of 5 stars Stranger in A Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein is the story of a human, Valentine Michale smith, who was born and on raised on mars, and now on earth must come to understand the human race.
This is a wonderful classic that I cannot say enough good things about. It is captivating and quite exceptional. Full of philosophical, spiritual, social and religious ideas...
Published on July 19 2004 by Jacob Gest

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine yarn, but dated and self-indulgent.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Heinlein conceived STRANGER in 1948, but didn't finish it until
1960. His editor asked him to cut it from 220,000 to 150,000 words; as
published it was 160,087. It was reissued from the original
manuscript in 1991, and I just got around to reading this "uncut"
edition. I first read...
Published on Dec 28 2003 by Peter D. Tillman

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated, Sept. 13 2011
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book to be overrated. Perhaps it's how dated it is, but parts of it were so sexist and homophobic as to cloud out what might have been a passable book. Note page 304, where a female character says to the protagonist "Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's partly her fault." While obviously it's a product of its time, just as the use of the "N" word in "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a product of that time, in this case it was very distracting and really took away from the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dated, boring, bad..., Oct. 22 2003
halda (World Wide Interweb Network Machine) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
...and the novel equivalent of "Barbarella"...
This book is like all those obscure psychedelic albums from the same time period. I'm sure at the time, and with the right complimentary, uh, influences, one would consider them masterpieces. Today, though, they're just embarassments to the excesses of a phase that has somehow inflated itself into the Annals of Great Cultural Movements.
This is Heinlein as his solipsistic worst. Read "Dune" instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extrodanarey and anthralling book, Dec 5 2005
Trent Ziffely (USA Califonia Boulder Creek) - See all my reviews
This is the type of book where you can read it all night and day forgeting to eat. But once your done reading it you regret not reading slower and savering it. Its also one of the few books you can read time and time agian. Youre going to have to read it more than once to get every thing because theres such a great deal of intelectual and emotional information packed into it.

3.0 out of 5 stars return of the martian, July 27 2003
William D. Tompkins (New York, New York USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
this book has an interesting storyline to it but i felt myself drifting throughout it. the writing sense did not capture me as a book should.

1.0 out of 5 stars I finished it, but...., July 12 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Stranger in a Strange Land (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finished The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (pretty good overall), and went to SIASL because it had been recommended it to me before.
Besides the good anti-gov't lines (mostly quips), there's not much to recommend the book. I'm glad I read it to say I read it, but I'm not ever going to read it again. Why?
1. Jubal. Supposed to come across as a wise, lovable old coot, but I found him annoying and I don't ever want to meet such a pompous person. He ruled every situation, and I don't think he deserved to. I can't stomach him again.
2. Free love. Against human nature. People will, in general, get jealous and get hurt.
3. Polylogism - the Martians have superior logic. Um, there can't be different logics. See Wittgenstein.
4. Anti-religion but all religions lead to the truth? I certainly don't buy that. The scenes in heaven...wow, I don't know what to say.
5. Characters overall. I didn't like any of them. I didn't care about any of them, and I hated how snappy the dialogue was. People don't talk like that ALL the time. I guess most of Heinlein's dialogue is like that, but it was a major flaw in this book.
I'm a woman but I didn't mind the sexist stuff. It wasn't all that bad. "Terrifyingly homophobic"? I thought it was rather pro-homosexual, as much as it could be, as Mike talked a bit about how wonderful the bipolarity of man and woman was. Homosexual sex doesn't really fit into that view.
My least favorite Heinlein book. Read Moon or Starship Troopers and skip this book if you can.

Stranger in a Strange Land
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 11 2002)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49