1,143 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected Delight !
Published 22 months ago by Titus Penney

3.0 out of 5 stars Just another MOCKINGBIRD Review
This book started rather slow for me. A lot of background. All the conversations amongst the kids was not necessary for me. I like how Scout tells the whole story, it really reads from a kids point of view. That was really creative. I think HarperLee was taking a stance on racial inequalities of this country. Readers would only listen to her speaking through a child. If...
Published on June 9 2004 by just_hb

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected Delight !, Sept. 8 2012
Titus Penney (Nova Scotia , Canada) - See all my reviews
This is not my usual genre book , to start off with. Ive heard of this book a few times over the years and decided I was going to read some of the classics this year. I had no idea what the book was about ,I just started reading it. Even though the book was written as if it were from a kids perspective , I was amazed at the direction the reading took me. There are a lot of mixed emotions you will experience in this book and In my case even some permanent thought changing effects. The focus character would be the kids father who is named Atticus. He is a very mature , moral icon and could be used as a standard of shaping the readers character (at least some considerations).
5 stars. Conclusion , A good read which should be read by people with any genre specifications.

5.0 out of 5 stars good, Feb. 11 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
I read this book for school. Its actually a good book. Gives you perspective. you have more understanding how life was back then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, Jan. 26 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. Eventhough it goes at a low pace, the subject itself is good. A story told through the eyes of a child, in the time were prejudice and injustice are strong; it's worth its price and the time put in to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Kill a Mockingbrd, May 3 2012
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought it for my sister as she had never read it and I feel that it is a book that everyone should read at least once. I have read it many times and cried every time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Seminal Classic, Nov. 22 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a seminal classic, and earth shaking. The book was, in it's time, a prophetic voice speaking against racism in the southern USA. It won the Pulitzer Prize for literature. And it is still a magnificent and excellent book to read and still morally pertinent.

The story is told from a child's eye view and it is about growing up in a small town. A black man is accused of raping a white women and he is obviously wrongfully convicted. The court case puts the intuitional racism of that society on trial. The Mockingbird is an allegory of the people who die in the story. The Mockingbird mimics or sings the songs of other birds. In the story a few people sing the song of that society (As such they represent it) and die. And there is an attempted murder on the narrator who sings the most.

The characters are enduring and it not only brings you back to the innocence of childhood, but challenges you with the injustice of hatred. This book is set in a time and place, but the issues of racism, hypocrisy, and injustice are universal. Pick up and read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful on so many levels, Oct. 26 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
I had to read this for English class in late high school in Australia. It was the first text we studied that I (and the rest of the class) didn't detest by the end of several weeks of analysis and essays. It's just genuinely an entertaining read, with a surprising amount of humour amongst its beautiful passages. I recently re-read this book, and enjoyed it even more than I did 13 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tightly written with a message for everyone, Oct. 10 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Hardcover)
Harper Lee was encouraged to write some of her childhood memories. What in the beginning seems like the story of three childhood friends in depression era Macomb, Alabama, turns out to be packed with insights to the makeup of human kind.

This story is intriguing on many levels from the history of the area to the stereotyping of people. Most of all every turn was a surprise as told in the first person from the view of Scout Finch. And instead of telling the story in a six year old vocabulary she uses an exceptionally large repertoire to describe the people and events. This story is not as slow passed as one may guess from first glance as every remark and every action will be needed for a future action.

A major controversial part of the story is the trial of Tom Robinson. Hoverer this is just a catalyst to help Scout understand the nature of people including her father Atticus and you will find that as important as it is it is just a part of the story with other major characters such as Arthur "Boo" Radley.

Even thought it appears that Scout is the recipient of the insights, I believe we the reader is the real recipient.

I can truly say that this book has changed my outlook in life.

To Kill a Mockingbird (Collector's Edition)

Harper Lee (Up Close)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best North American literature - period., Aug. 16 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
One of the most popular American novels. Harper Lee paints a picture of her home and society in the south as few others have or could. Better than Huckleberry Finn, Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath. And those titles are among the best of the best. Words are Ms. Lee's paint brushes, life her subject, and the novel her canvas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it before, I'd read it again, Aug. 11 2013
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
Important work of fiction that shows great depth of the history of human rights. It's included in the grade 9 curriculum in English for a reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality of the early 20th century, Aug. 2 2013
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: To Kill a Mockingbird (Mass Market Paperback)
It's hard to put this book into words. In fact, I have written and subsequently deleted two reviews so far. Not that my reviews are warranted...after 50+ years since publication, I'm probably the last person on the planet to read it.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I "loved" the book, but I know it will be a long time before I forget any of it. I've never read anything that made me feel so much. Anger, happiness, sorrow, hate, pity....it's all there. And there is no storybook ending...just reality. The reality of life in a racist and ignorant decade, but it was a wonderful story at the same time. Truly a classic that should be read and discussed by everyone.

To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 11 1988)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49