4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended
I was very confused when I read the very positive and then the very negative reviews for this book and that is why I read it right away.

I think a lot of people make an opinion of the characters in the beginning of the book and no actions afterwards can change it....

Published on Sept. 19 2008 by D. Gadj

1.0 out of 5 stars Witless Woman Falls (Inexplicably) For Monstrous Man
Quite frankly I don't know where to start. I suppose I should begin by stating that I didn't like Slow Heat in Heaven one bit. I thought the hero was a nasty loser, the heroine a pathetic weakling, and the majority of the minor 'characters' were quickly forgotten and unlikeable.
Published on Oct. 2 2003 by Veronica

4.0 out of 5 stars Strongly recommended, Sept. 19 2008
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)

Cash is called "revolting" and is accused of not saying one "nice thing" to Schyler. To me he is not revolting at all, but rather a very realistically developed character in the light of his past.....and he DOES say several "nice things" to the heroine throughout the book, like e.g. that she is "beautiful" and he means it then......

As far Schyler goes, readers accuse her of being too mousy to ever stand for herself. That I find absolutely UNTRUE...she does fight her relatives in regards to selling the house, she does shoot the dogs, she does take it on herself to save the business, she does save Gayla and she DOES FIRE Cash when she has doubts as to his motives.........so I say she has a lot of BRASS.....

In conclusion, neither of them is much different from the usually well developed and complicated characters of Sandra Brown, so I recommend the book strongly.
Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars ok...I hope I don't reveal anything too big., May 2 2004
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
Ok, so this book wasn't the typical romance, there were vulgar people who did terrible things. But stuff like that actually happens so why should it be off limits to write about? There are plenty of heros in other books that play the gallant role in a gentlemenly way, and plenty of heroines do the strong, willful damsel part very vocally, but what I found to be most intriguing about this book was that it didn't. To me it was the fact that it was so different from the typical romance novel, that it was good. Cash was often a jerk but he was also caring in his own way. He helped Gayla and Jimmy Don, he watched out for Cotton, and he showed great emotion towards Schyler. It wasn't often done in a sun-shiny way, but by showing it, he proved that he cared. And while Schlyer didn't tell Cash off like she should've some times, she was strong enough to handle her father's illness and the family buisness while dealing with petty people like her sister. I liked this book and thought it showed a rare insight into what some parts of life are like. Overall, it's one of the best romance/suspense novels I've read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Summer Read, March 29 2004
Candice (Albuquerque, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read this novel about five times and assuredly I will read it again. The plot is thick, with intricately linking characters. The detailed descriptions are superb; I could just hear the Louisiana drawl. And the tensions between the different characters are genuine and truthfully explored.
I think the heroin, Schyler, is strong in a quiet gentlewoman way. She does what is right and necessary for her and others. I think she is commendable. The hero is indeed fallible. He is angry, at times hateful and he severely uses women (most, though, use him right back). But as the story moves on there is a hint of his imminent change. I think despite his character flaws this process shows he is truly falling in love.(....)
The only problem I have with the book is a few despicable characters, especially Jigger Flynn and the inmates. I could almost not stomach reading some of their heinous deeds.
All in all, Slow Heat in Heaven was an outstanding read. I've read eight of Sandra Browns novel (romance and fiction) and I keep going back to this one; of her works it is my favorite. I highly recommend it to romance readers and general fiction fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars Witless Woman Falls (Inexplicably) For Monstrous Man, Oct. 2 2003
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
My major gripe is with the male lead, Cash. Yes, he was incredibly masculine and sexy, but this was added to the sensitivity of a sledgehammer and the personality of a doorpost (i.e not a good combination). Here's a list of just some of the many reasons why I could not stand him, he was - abusive towards the heroine, a compulsive womaniser, accuses the heroine of committing incest, gambles on rotweiller fights where dogs savage each other until one dies, ... In the end I lost all respect for Schyler, the so-called heroine, because she never stood up for herself and put Cash in his place.
Overall Slow Heat In Heaven is a repulsive parody of true romance. It is a shallow, vulgar travesty populated with petty characters and ugly happenings. Not recommended.
JoAnne

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Ready for a Total Meltdown, July 7 2002
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
Of all the romance novels I've read, I keep going back to this one because it's hero is the sexiest of any ever created in this genre. He is HOT! (Does such a man even exist in real life and why can't I find him?) Yes, he's a feminist's worst nightmare. He's crass and crude and utterly masculine. Each meeting between him and Schyler is charged with intense sexual tension. Consider this one, brief conversation where he gets a little testy when Schyler waves at a patrolman that she's just convinced to help them out:
Cash: "Did you two make a date?"
Schyler: "Do you care?"
Cash: "Damn right." 'His arm shot across the seat and his hand plunged between her thighs. He squeezed her possessively.' "This is mine until I get through with it, understand?"
Schyler: "Keep your hands off me. And while you're at it, go to hell."
I mean, in real life, I'd probably tell him the same thing Schyler did and mean it, too. However, because we know that his feelings for Schyler are not merely sexual, such crude talk is all the more exciting.
If you love Southern settings (I do) and ultra-sexy, definitely non politically correct heroes, you'll love this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bayou Bliss, Jan. 30 2002
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
If you want slow and sensuous, if you want to paddle softly in a pirogue through a bayou at midnight, if you want a strong, gorgeous, mysterious, dark and brooding lover at the end of your journey, buy this book. It's the next best thing.
Sandra Brown is at her best in this evocative book about Schyler Crandall, who returns to her native Heaven, Louisiana after many years abroad to find her ailing father's logging business in danger, and her beloved family estate, Belle Terre, in danger of being lost. Schuyler's hateful sister and ne'er-do-well husband live at Belle Terre, but seem unable to save either the business or the estate. More exasperating, when Schuyler rolls up her sleeves to get to work, her sister's envy and hatred threaten to keep her from succeeding.
Enter the aforementioned lover, Cash Boudreaux, a native Cajun whose chip on his shoulder is equal only to his irresistable fascination for women. And Schuyler, who has known him from childhood, is not immune, although she tries as hard as she can to keep her confusing feelings to herself.
Now imagine a hot sultry night, a possible snakebite, and Cash Boudreaux performing his mysterious medical magic learned at his late mother's knee. Imagine him sucking the venom from your wrist. Holding you close to examine your wounds. Lifting you in his manly arms as you swoon. Oh yessssss....but unlike lesser romance novels, Sandra never sinks to the banal. This is not a bodice ripper. It has a plot, and plenty of it. There is mystery. A jailhouse rape. An abused woman who escapes only after her abuser dies horribly in a revenge killing as scary as any I have read.
There is a shady banker and his shallow wife, who has been having an affair with Cash. There is the mysterious force that is keeping the logging business in the red by any means, including fire. Is Cash the good guy? Or is he the evil behind all the mysterious deaths and destruction?
Read it and find out...and find yourself lured into the humid, sultry warmth of a hot bayou night. This is a romance must.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, July 3 2000
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
Ms Brown got in over her head with this book, like may romance authors who switch from writing romances to thrillers -such as Linda Howard, and Elisabeth Lowell. The book is about Schyler who tries to save the family property with the help of Cash, the black sheep of the town. Possibly to give the book a dramatic character every kind of drama is introduced: Not just sabotage of the company, but also a friend of Schyler who is more or less enslaved by her by her dangerous, drunken low life of a husband who beats and protitues her. The only love of this friend has been imprisoned and is raped several times in prison. Then there is the frigid foster mother, a treacherous sister who tricked Schyler's good for nothing boyfriend into marrying her instead of Schyler, the father who had a lover living on his property. And furthermore the lover's son Cash, who never had a real chance because his father was unknown. Nevertheless, the book lacks tension and likely and interesting characters. Especially the character of Cash stays superficial, which makes him just a very shallow and rude person who is not very particular about who he sleeps with. The attraction between Schyler and Cash can never be taken for more than sexual and his declaration of love in the end is completely unbelievable. The plot is also completely predictable and never becomes interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Romances I have ever read, March 11 1998
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the first Sandra Brown novel I read & I read this book many times since then.
Cash Boudreaux is one of the sexiest male characters I've read about. Ms. Brown's ability to develop sexual tension between Cash and Skyler is phenomenal.
I have to honestly admit, this book is probably Sandra Brown's finest book. None of her other novels have measured up to this story. The characters are human, they have depth. Everyone has a flaw -- no one is perfect in this book. But Cash & Skyler overcome their own quirks and human flaws to love each other.
THe storyline does deal with poverty, small backwater town politics and gossip, intermingled with romance, suspense, and good ole' backstabbing redneck hypocrites... If you've never lived in a small southern town full of red necks, then I'm sure its difficult to imagine life in Heaven Louisiana. Honestly, I've been there/done that. Ms. Brown literally captures the feelings!!
Plus there is one fantastic story line that encompasses this lovestory. Highly recommended reading. i have literally worn out my book and am looking to replace it.....

2.0 out of 5 stars GRrrrRr... HATE the hero in this one, June 7 2004
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
i really hated the ehro in this novel. He was an ass pain and simple. If he was so in love with her why's he kiss her sister near the end of the book (sorry for giving thatpart away). I mean if he's gonna behave that why each time they have a fight then he's not trust worthy. Throughout the novel he was a plain ass. (...) But you ppl. might be into all that stuff... I dunno... lol. I wont recommend this book... i thought it would be good and i was greatly disappointed ;^( too bad eh. But dont take my word for it, go out there and get the book and make ur own minds about it. I'm 91.999% sure by the time you finish the book (if you even get that far through it) you'll agree with my argues. Till next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Belongs in the Romance Book Hall Of Fame!!, Sept. 21 1999
This review is from: Slow Heat in Heaven (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is an example of Sandra Brown at her very best. In fact, I don't think anything else she's written has even come close to the emotional rollercoaster ride you get with this one.
Now, admittedly, Cash is not a hero for everyone; he is rude, crude, opinionated and just too sexy for words, but Schyler is more than a match for him. And I just loved the secondary characters of Gayla and Jimmy Don; their own love story just tore at my heart.
I bought this book when it first came out and recently re-read and believe me, it stands the test of time and very few books can do that. Bravo to Ms. Brown and please, please write another book that's as emotional and steamy as this one.

Slow Heat in Heaven
Slow Heat in Heaven by Sandra Brown (Mass Market Paperback - July 1 1991)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.09