5.0 out of 5 stars One word --- WOW!!!!
Published on Nov. 17 2007 by Misfit

3.0 out of 5 stars Southern Propaganda.
The book was well written but personally I liked the movie better. Yes the book was about many things but the part that urked me was the romanticized view of the South's struggle with "the low class treacherous Yankees" and the so called uppity negroes. Oh how insolent and thirsty these "brutes" were for any thing white in a dress (southern propaganda of the...
Published on Sept. 26 2003 by J. Nguitte

5.0 out of 5 stars One word --- WOW!!!!, Nov. 17 2007
Misfit (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Paperback)
I would give this 10 stars if I could. I haven't read this since I was a young girl in the early 70's and should never have waited so long to read it again. The characters were exceptionally well drawn, the dialogue was brilliant, particularly between Rhett (SIGH!) and Scarlett. I swear there was sparks flying off the pages. I am going to miss the people I will have to put behind me now that the book has come to an end, Rhett (SIGH), Scarlett, Mammy, Prissy and Aunt Pitty Pat (LOL).

The author's use of prose was beautiful, all the scenes and action came alive for me. Some people seem to be offended by the racism in the book, but that's how things were back then. Sugar coating it would have ruined the story reducing it to a Harlequin romance.

This is an incredibly well written book about the death of a civilization and the struggles to survive in the new era. This is a book that should not be missed, particulary those who enjoy historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone with the wind, Dec 6 2010
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Hardcover)
There are many great books out there, and then there is This one. This one I feel, is set apart from the rest. It has eveyrthing your heart could desire in a book, romance, friendship, history, action, survival, a sense of family and bonding,Rhett, Scarlett and many fantastic characters, all of them loved throughout the whole novel. Scarlett, is my most favorite character out of all the books I have ever read. Rhett, is my second. Melanie and Mammie, ties at third. It is a novel that brings you into a once beautiful world then to the destruction and surival of another.I have read this book 5-6 times so far and everytime I do, the characters become more and more alive and the novel so vivid in my mind. This is a novel that will always be loved for all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong, Dec 24 2010
This is my favourite romance novel of all time. Timeless as always, Mitchell sweeps you into the deep south during on onset of the Civil War and what would change their world forever.

Scarlet and Rhett after a rocky start set about on the romantic journey of a lifetime.

I adore Mitchell's writing and her often over-the-top descriptions. She's a true talent from a bygone era and one that we'll never forget anytime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting historical novel, May 15 2013
Yassy (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Margarett Mitchell unveils her art by capturing the reader through very strong characterization and fascinating plot, and at the same time, teaching one a great deal about the American Civil War. The reader finds themselves empathizing so much with Scarlett - at least in my case - and after the story is over, life seems impossible without Scarlett, Melanie, Rhett, and Ashley.
A great read for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gone but not forgotten, Feb. 6 2005
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Mass Market Paperback)
GONE WITH THE WIND is one fantastic book!---------------------I'll never ever read a book this good again. This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read and ever will read. If you haven't read this book, you have to read it. It has everything: adventure, romance, historical fiction, survival, and excellent character development. It paints a vivid picture of life pre, during, and post Civil War. The characters are so well drawn you can predict how they will react to certain situations and what their responses will be. Every character is lovable, and every character feels real to you. Scarlett will stay with me for the rest of my life. Sly and rotten as she is, there are many sides to her; a loving side, a caring side, a brave and courageous side. Scarlett is my favorite character out of all of the books that I've read. Her romance with Rhett is complicated and passionate, and there were times when i wanted to hit Scarlett for treating Rhrett the way she did. Every character is memorable: Scarlett, her parents and sisters, Rhett, Melanie, Aunt Pitty, Ashley, Mamie, India, and Prissy. I LOVE THIS BOOK! If there were a 6 star rating thats what i would give this book. READ IT!!!!
If you love Southern books, you'll also love----------------- McCrae's THE CHILDREN'S CORNER--fantastic short stories about love, loss, and life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story-timeless and moving, Nov. 15 2004
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Paperback)
GONE WITH THE WIND is and will remain one of the great books of the last century. I love the opening: "There was a land of cavaliers and cotton fields called the `Old South.' Here, in this pretty world, gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of knights and their ladies fair, of master and slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a civilization gone with the wind." If you read GWTW strictly as a love story, you're missing part of the picture, and I'm saying this as someone who DID read it as a love story many years ago at the age of twelve. And I don't mean just the surface historical picture either.It goes so much deeper.
Scarlett is of course the central character, and to me, a metaphor for the "New South", in that she compromises with the new circumstances in order to survive.Melanie appeared to me as a symbol of the "Old South"-but the part of it that had integrity and strength. They needed each other in order to survive, and it took Scarlett until the end of the book to realise this. Ashley is the part of the Old South that couldn't adjust. Rhett is the person who though he despised the old ways and all they stood for until age and time made him begin to realise what he had thrown away. He still had a cynicism about it, but he also had an appreciation for the charm of a time that would never be again. This is THE Southern novel, although there are some others that are must reads: TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD and the hysterical and moving BARK OF THE DOGWOOD-A tour of southern homes and gardens comes to mind. First, before you do anything, read this great novel-GWTW.

5.0 out of 5 stars An American Masterpiece, July 17 2004
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Hardcover)
Many people only know Gone With The Wind through the beautiful 1939 David O. Selznick film. That is a disappointment, as the novel is so much richer and complex than the film could realize.
Written in the mid 1930s by a novice writer, it nonethe less manages to evoke the spirit of the Civil War and the passion that is Scarlett O'Hara.
While commonly viewed as a war novel, it is actually much more: both a brilliant comedy of manners and the first frankly feminist novel written. Ms. Mitchell manages to make us care about Scarlett, while allowing us also to laugh at her occasionally.
Do not be put off by the book's length. While an enormous undertaking, it moves along at a breakneck pace, and is absorbing from the very first page.
Some have criticized the book for its racist portrayal of the black characters. While it does seem so from a 21st Century perspective, that can perhaps be forgiven when remembering that it was written by a Southerner in the early 20th Century. In any event, some of the most noble, sympathetic characters of the book are black and slaves.
This is a book to enjoy and savor more than once. The 60th Anniversary Edition is especially nice, coming in a slipcover and containing analysis of the book by other authors and literary critics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment with Racist Sentimentality, July 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Hardcover)
GWTW is a classic, undoubtedly - sweeping, romantic, colorful, well written, all of that. I have read it so many times and seen the movie enough to recite it word for word, loved swashbuckling Captain Butler and plucky, selfish Scarlett for all that she is, a woman of her own worth during times when women were showpieces more than anything else. And i absolutely love the descriptions of the civil war background - it is sweeping, historically accurate and touching, many times. I can slip the movie in at any scene or pick up the book and spend a few hours undisturbed just lost in its language and flow.
All of that said, i think it is important not to forget that Mitchell has not mentioned one word against slavery in the 800+ pages she penned, slavery being the burning, heart rending issue of the time the novel was set. Every country and state goes through change, for good or bad and we lose times that were precious, sentimental, valuable - or we lose a 'land of grace and plenty' as she calls pre war Georgia. But we also gain causes that are worth it in terms of human reslience and courage and value/respect for others. Looking at it that way the novel comes across like a victorian painting - pretty and appealing but lacking in soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story for the Ages, July 8 2004
Jerry Kelley (Riverside, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Hardcover)
The power of this narrative of the American Civil War and the Reconstruction period after the war is overwhelming. Scarlett O'Hara is the centerpiece of this story from the beginning to the end. It is much more than a story of love, rivalry, and misadventure. It is all that and more. It offers the reader a portrait of the Confederacy and the candid view of life there as filtered through the eyes of Scarlett. It is Melanie Hamilton and Ashley Wilkes who represent the values of the old South and the ambition of Scarlett and the cynicsm of Rhett Butler reflect the newly emerging South of the Reconsturction.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest Epic Love, Strength and Survival novels!, July 2 2004
This review is from: Gone With the Wind (Mass Market Paperback)
"There was a Land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. . .Here in this pretty world Gallantry took its last bow. . .Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilization Gone with the Wind."
What other words could more perfectly describe the saga of Gone with the Wind?
I am always astounded when I think that the 1024 pages of Gone with the Wind was Margaret Mitchell's first book! How can a green author roll so much passion, hope, strength, love, steadfastness, despair and humanity into a single novel? I blows me away, no pun intended!
As reviewer kitam57 said "I love Scarlett and yet at the same time I want to wring her neck." I totally concur, I admire Scarlett for her determination, her dedication to her family, her love of the land and her uniqueness. I'm more than half Irish and I too have a love for the land I live on just like Scarlett developed for Tara, as her father said "It's the only thing that lasts" and truly, even when Scarlett had nothing else she still had Tara and was willing to do anything, even prostitute herself to Rhett in order to keep it. She wasn't afraid to go out and break many of the social conventions of the time, like peddling lumber while pregnant, in order to take care of her family and loved ones. But at the same time, I HATE her treatment of Rhett, Scarlett had one giant blindspot by the name of Ashley Wilkes. Although, Ashley did lead her on, he never would say that he didn't love her and only loved Mellie. Scarlett clung to this hope, she pretended to hate Rhett the whole time and really deep down she knew she always liked him. I just can't understand why Scarlett thought she loved Ashley so much, he was dreamer, lost in books, music and Europe while Scarlett was practical, living for each day and facing up to harsh realities without a second thought.
Rhett was always hopelessly in love with Scarlett too. It breaks my heart every time I see him try in the book and she just blows him off. When he was released from prison he ran straight to Scarlett to make sure she had enough money to keep Tara, when Scarlett tells him she's pregnant again he's so happy, and when he thinks Scarlett will die I cry too when he is nearly crazy with grief and sobbing into Mellie's skirts! There was still a chance for them later if she had just opened up and admitted that they had both been wrong! And that "hungry" look of Rhett's that Scarlett was always a bit scared of, it was really Rhett's starvation for love. He was watching her, waiting and hoping that she might show him some sign of love, as he said he wanted when they first danced together. Rhett's weakness was Scarlett and his need for her love, for once in his life he wanted someone to TRULY love him, not look down on him! And then tragedy enters in.
Rhett of course has his scoundrel tendancies, but I admire him also for his rebellion against social conventions, he wasn't tied in by stupid traditions. he was more thinking than the rest, in that respect he and Ashley were more alike. Rhett and Ashley both knew what a war would do to the South and what a disadvantage they were at with troups and artillery. As Rhett said: "I seem to be spoiling everyone's brandy, cigars and DREAMS of victory." Rhett's humanity always shows through in his admiration of Melanie, she was the one person he always treated with absolute sincerity and genuine respect.
There also is the war aspect, Margaret Mitchell seems to have examined every tiny detail of the the South both during and after the war. She knows of the hardships, devastation, the starvation, the struggle, the indignities and humiliation of Reconstruction. One must always remember that just because people owned slaves, it didn't mean they were all bad people. Some were, we all know of the atrocious horrors that slaves suffered but, Margaret Mitchell shows the almost family-like relationships some people shared with their slaves. They do talk down to them and treat them as children, but slaves were not always educated at the time and therefore some didn't know how to act any differently. Mammy however is the perfect example of the smartest woman in the whole book! She always knew what was going on and loved Scarlett as her own child no matter what depths Scarlett sank to.
I love the movie as well, Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable were Scarlett and Rhett brought to life, it's like they were born to play those roles! My only complaint is that they should have shown Scarlett's children with Charles and Frank in the film! However, I will always applaud the scene of Scarlett and Rhett dancing around in black amongst all the other colorful people. They are declaring their defiance and I completely admire that! In fact, I love the story of Gone with the Wind so much that I named my horse India after Ashley's sister. Next one I should name Scarlett! :)
All in all, Gone with the Wind is a book for all time, no matter what your genre of book is, you will be able to appreciate it for the many dimensions of it and the ultimate truth, history, life lessons and basic human tenacity it portrays. No matter who you are, where you live or how old you are.

ARRAY(0xb2e8eda4)

Gone With the Wind
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1993)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01