boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Auto Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on January 12, 2010
I'm not a cat person per se (I have two dogs) but I ordered this book after reading all those praising comments from well-known authors, among others, as well as the customer reviews on the Amazon website. Unfortunately, I do not agree with most of the reviewers. In fact, I'm very surprised that this book was a #1 New York Times Bestseller! Although I agree that Dewey's story is touching and inspiring, I find that the book does not revolve enough around Dewey's life, but rather it revolves too much around the author's life...her alcoholic husband, her family, her challenges and struggles, her numerous surgeries and fragile health, the town of Spencer, etc. Instead of the author's personal story, which fills many pages or even chapters, a large portion of the book could have been filled with stories from library regulars, such as the homeless man who turned to Dewey for affection or the little girl with Down Syndrome who lightened up when she saw or touched Dewey. Actually, so many touching stories could have been told by the staff of the Spencer Public Library, who cared so lovingly for Dewey, as well as some stories chosen amongst the thousands and thousands of visitors who were enthralled by Dewey during his 19 years at the library. Instead, the author gets off-track from the very beginning. For example, besides the front jacket description, Dewey's name is mentioned for the first time in the last paragraph of the five-page introduction...the rest is all about Iowa! Besides two frivilous - and very short - mentions about Dewey in the 10 pages of chapter 6, the rest is all about the town of Moneta. And, in the eight pages of chapter 7, where Spencer is showcased, Dewey is mentioned only towards the end. And, not a single word about Dewey in the 12 pages of chapter 12...again, Spencer takes over! In fact, I think this book should have been titled,"Vicki - The Small-Town Librarian Whose Cat, Dewey, Touched the World"!
on January 5, 2009
I love cats, I love libraries and I love cats that live in libraries or book shops. There is this little used bookshop in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada that is graced with the presence of a feline. During my first visit to this shop I was kneeling down on the floor looking at some books and reached out to touch a big fluffy pillow which turned out to be one big fat fluffy cat, I was delighted!

When I heard of "Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World" by Vicki Myron I had to read it. The first chapter about the rescue of Dewey from the returned book bin on the coldest night of the year is touching and it brought tears to my eyes. I also enjoyed reading about Dewey recovering and loving everyone he meets, but after the first few chapters the book just stops being magical and pretty much becomes a story that any cat owner could write. I was not that interested in the author's life and wanted to hear more about Dewey and his antics.
on January 26, 2014
It got boring after a while. The book got monotonous, there is too much emphasis on the role that this cat plays in the community.