5.0 out of 5 stars HEARTWARMING, HAPPY, AND HOPEFUL
Remember Marley: A Dog Like No Other, a canine greatly loved by his master? Well, here is Dewey, an abandoned orange kitten not only beloved by his mistress but by the entire town of Spencer, Iowa.

Dewey's origins were questionable as was his introduction to library director Vicki Myron. January 18, 1988 was a frigid Monday in Spencer. "It was a killing...
Published on Sept. 17 2008 by Gail Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Dewey
I love cats, I love libraries and I love cats that live in libraries or book shops. There is this little used bookshop in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada that is graced with the presence of a feline. During my first visit to this shop I was kneeling down on the floor looking at some books and reached out to touch a big fluffy pillow which turned out to be one big fat...
Published on Jan. 5 2009 by Pauline

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey: The Small Town Library Cat, Sept. 6 2012
This review is from: Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful, heartwarming book which moved me to tears at times. I particularly enjoyed Vickey Myron's personal story not only about her own life but about the town and the people of Spencer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful tale, March 15 2012
This is a story i picked up to read to my children, and i found myself engrossed in the fantastic world of a self-made king of the jungle. I much rather prefer this story to The Lion King, truth be told. This is the edited paperback version and it forgoes a lot of personal details that apparently pop up in the original version. It is a very moving tale about a very special cat who made the most of his opportunity. Thoroughly enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars I want my money back!!!, Jan. 12 2010
Jeannette McLaughlin "dog lover" (New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm not a cat person per se (I have two dogs) but I ordered this book after reading all those praising comments from well-known authors, among others, as well as the customer reviews on the Amazon website. Unfortunately, I do not agree with most of the reviewers. In fact, I'm very surprised that this book was a #1 New York Times Bestseller! Although I agree that Dewey's story is touching and inspiring, I find that the book does not revolve enough around Dewey's life, but rather it revolves too much around the author's life...her alcoholic husband, her family, her challenges and struggles, her numerous surgeries and fragile health, the town of Spencer, etc. Instead of the author's personal story, which fills many pages or even chapters, a large portion of the book could have been filled with stories from library regulars, such as the homeless man who turned to Dewey for affection or the little girl with Down Syndrome who lightened up when she saw or touched Dewey. Actually, so many touching stories could have been told by the staff of the Spencer Public Library, who cared so lovingly for Dewey, as well as some stories chosen amongst the thousands and thousands of visitors who were enthralled by Dewey during his 19 years at the library. Instead, the author gets off-track from the very beginning. For example, besides the front jacket description, Dewey's name is mentioned for the first time in the last paragraph of the five-page introduction...the rest is all about Iowa! Besides two frivilous - and very short - mentions about Dewey in the 10 pages of chapter 6, the rest is all about the town of Moneta. And, in the eight pages of chapter 7, where Spencer is showcased, Dewey is mentioned only towards the end. And, not a single word about Dewey in the 12 pages of chapter 12...again, Spencer takes over! In fact, I think this book should have been titled,"Vicki - The Small-Town Librarian Whose Cat, Dewey, Touched the World"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey and Rascal are Like Brothers, Nov. 2 2008
A Kid's Review
Dewey is a story of love, courage and devotion. The library cat of Spencer reminds me of another orange four-year-old male cat called Rascal, who learned how to jump on a door handle to open the door and whose captivating adventure stories described in the series "Why Some Cats are Rascals" educate children about American geography and history, zoology, survival skills, and such positive values as friendship, loyalty, love, and trust. Like Rascal, Dewey is charming, lovely, and moving. If you are cat lover, you may not miss any of these books. Dewey and Rascal are like brothers to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved Dewey, but the author kept getting off track, Feb. 15 2009
The Mad Hatter "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
Dewey was an adorable cat. How could one not be fascinated by such a people-loving, heart-rendering little feline who came in from the cold and warmed the hearts of an entire community.

From the moment of Dewey's discovery in the drop-off box of the local library, he captured the reader's love and attention.... and never let go. However, where the book fell short was in the author's on-going saga of the hard times and financial woes of the agricultural district of Spencer, Iowa. This kept cropping up as if the author was trying to fill up space, had nothing to do with Dewey (obviously, the main focus of the book,) and meant absolutely nothing to someone who is not from the area.

While one could not help falling in love with Dewey, the author's writing experience (or lack of it, perhaps) was clearly evident by the style and lack of fine-tuned grammarical skills. Overall, the book was worth reading, especially for any cat lover, but do not expect a top-notch book such as that of "Marley and Me" by John Gorgan. This book does not even come close to Grogan's, but the reasons it did not live up to expectations had nothing to do with Dewey and everything to do with the author's writing style and off-topic rambling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey, Jan. 28 2011
I have just finished reading Dewey,The Small Town Library Cat and while it was not what I expected I thoroughly enjoyed it. Friends who had read the book just mentioned Dewey, but nothing about Spencer or the Library, which to me was a very important part of the Dewey's story. I loved reading about the history of the town and Vicki Myron's story. Mrs. Myron brought me into the town and I felt part of the family. I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey, Dec 3 2010
A friend gave me this book after my dog passed away. He thought Dewey's story would help, how Dewey changed so many lives - and it did. My dog did the same for so many people. I cherish that. I have purchased this book as a Christmas gift for a dear friend. I don't think it matters how old you are or how young you are, this book is defintely a story to behold.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are so special.(dewey), Aug. 27 2010
this story is a real tearjerker,i cried during the reading of this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purrrfect, July 20 2010
Kim Levasseur (Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Tis is a fantastic book to read , whether you're young or older.This book made me smile ,cry ,feel sad at times too.It's a feel good book, heartwarming and touching.Showing us just how much an animal can bring people closer together.I didn't want the book to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, Feb. 17 2010
Julia Vavatsikos (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I truly enjoyed reading this book and definitely recommend it. It's a simple story, but absolutely heart warming.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron (Hardcover - Sept. 24 2008)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05