5.0 out of 5 stars HEARTWARMING, HAPPY, AND HOPEFUL
Remember Marley: A Dog Like No Other, a canine greatly loved by his master? Well, here is Dewey, an abandoned orange kitten not only beloved by his mistress but by the entire town of Spencer, Iowa.

Dewey's origins were questionable as was his introduction to library director Vicki Myron. January 18, 1988 was a frigid Monday in Spencer. "It was a killing...
Published on Sept. 17 2008 by Gail Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars Dewey
I love cats, I love libraries and I love cats that live in libraries or book shops. There is this little used bookshop in downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada that is graced with the presence of a feline. During my first visit to this shop I was kneeling down on the floor looking at some books and reached out to touch a big fluffy pillow which turned out to be one big fat...
Published on Jan. 5 2009 by Pauline

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey and Rascal are Like Brothers, Nov. 2 2008
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World (Hardcover)
Dewey is a story of love, courage and devotion. The library cat of Spencer reminds me of another orange four-year-old male cat called Rascal, who learned how to jump on a door handle to open the door and whose captivating adventure stories described in the series "Why Some Cats are Rascals" educate children about American geography and history, zoology, survival skills, and such positive values as friendship, loyalty, love, and trust. Like Rascal, Dewey is charming, lovely, and moving. If you are cat lover, you may not miss any of these books. Dewey and Rascal are like brothers to me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved Dewey, but the author kept getting off track, Feb. 15 2009
The Mad Hatter "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
Dewey was an adorable cat. How could one not be fascinated by such a people-loving, heart-rendering little feline who came in from the cold and warmed the hearts of an entire community.

From the moment of Dewey's discovery in the drop-off box of the local library, he captured the reader's love and attention.... and never let go. However, where the book fell short was in the author's on-going saga of the hard times and financial woes of the agricultural district of Spencer, Iowa. This kept cropping up as if the author was trying to fill up space, had nothing to do with Dewey (obviously, the main focus of the book,) and meant absolutely nothing to someone who is not from the area.

While one could not help falling in love with Dewey, the author's writing experience (or lack of it, perhaps) was clearly evident by the style and lack of fine-tuned grammarical skills. Overall, the book was worth reading, especially for any cat lover, but do not expect a top-notch book such as that of "Marley and Me" by John Gorgan. This book does not even come close to Grogan's, but the reasons it did not live up to expectations had nothing to do with Dewey and everything to do with the author's writing style and off-topic rambling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey, Jan. 28 2011
I have just finished reading Dewey,The Small Town Library Cat and while it was not what I expected I thoroughly enjoyed it. Friends who had read the book just mentioned Dewey, but nothing about Spencer or the Library, which to me was a very important part of the Dewey's story. I loved reading about the history of the town and Vicki Myron's story. Mrs. Myron brought me into the town and I felt part of the family. I am looking forward to reading the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dewey, Dec 3 2010
A friend gave me this book after my dog passed away. He thought Dewey's story would help, how Dewey changed so many lives - and it did. My dog did the same for so many people. I cherish that. I have purchased this book as a Christmas gift for a dear friend. I don't think it matters how old you are or how young you are, this book is defintely a story to behold.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are so special.(dewey), Aug. 27 2010
this story is a real tearjerker,i cried during the reading of this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purrrfect, July 20 2010
Kim Levasseur (Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Tis is a fantastic book to read , whether you're young or older.This book made me smile ,cry ,feel sad at times too.It's a feel good book, heartwarming and touching.Showing us just how much an animal can bring people closer together.I didn't want the book to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming, Feb. 17 2010
Julia Vavatsikos (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
I truly enjoyed reading this book and definitely recommend it. It's a simple story, but absolutely heart warming.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great animal story, Oct. 22 2009
Fran V. Wylie - See all my reviews
I enjoyed Dewey. I was able to relate to the cat's story and the author's emotions on several levels because I have owned cats all my life. I also enjoyed the back story about the author herself that pulled this story together. Just don't forget to buy kleenexes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story, Sept. 20 2009
Francine Boudreau "Hammock Reader" (Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
Dewey is a touching story for cat lovers. Unexpected, was the life story of his owner, full of ups and downs, a story of survival. Of added interest for me was learning about this little Town, Spencer, in Iowa which sounds adorable. An easy read that I would recommend to cat lovers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Dewey, April 6 2009
Canadian Christie (Prince George, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I loved Dewey. I recommend this heart-warming novel to all animal-lovers, especially to those people who adore cats; you will enjoy this feline version of Marley & Me.

ARRAY(0xaea60bd0)

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Bret Witter (Hardcover - Sept. 24 2008)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05