Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star)show all reviews
on August 22, 2002
I try and write these Amazon reviews a couple months after I read the book. This is done to temper short-term enthusiasm for a book with its longer-term impacts to how I approach how I do business.
In the end, I can't remember anything this book said.
This is in stark contrast with books such as Neil Rackham's "Spin Selling," where I recall fundamental concepts over six months after putting it down. This is perhaps due to the format of the book itself - in what I call an "airport executor" format (emphasis on the non-word "executor," as if it were referring to an executive superhero pacing quickly through an airport, barking into one of those hands-free microphones and by all appearances talking to him/herself).
I bought this book in an airport bookstore, seeking a productive distraction on one of those long east-to-west flights. I was indeed in the role of marketing and selling services, and I felt maybe this book would contain some nuggets that would help me better understand how to build customer faith in our "product."
I recall reading the book during the flight, due to its small page format and short length, and I remember feeling pretty inspired, as if I had been exposed to concepts that would really help. In the end, I felt good about the money and time I'd invested.
But as mentioned above, I can't remember even one thing the book said. I read Collin's and Porras' "Built to Last" over three years ago and still remember core concepts, examples, and referenced points. This book left me with nothing.
It may be the format: quick sound bites probably designed for guys like me who read them on a cross-country flight. I felt good about the purchase in the short term, and can't remember what I read about in the long term.
Ries & Ries "22 immutable laws of branding" employs a similar sound-bite format, and has the same problem. I can't remember one thing the book said about branding, and I read it three times.
Perhaps I require deeper rooting in a topic to remember the content. References to research and other works, less snappy sound bites, I don't know. If shallow and snappy sound bites are your thing, this is the book for you. I'll probably not buy another one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on January 5, 2004
The ideas that the author brings up are good, but too often I felt like I wanted more. The second section was irritating. I got the feeling that the author has extensive experience in advising others, but little experience in personally carrying out - nice stories and good talk, but few real world details. On the other hand, I have been able to apply some of the ideas to my business. Stick it out past the second section and it gets a lot better.
Bottom line: Not the only book you'll need to learn about marketing your service, but a worthwhile investment.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again