5.0 out of 5 stars The best gift I have ever received

Published on Oct. 11 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best gift I have ever received, Oct. 30 1999
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
This book was a gift from a very dear friend. When I got it I didn't truly "get it", or it's purpose, but then I read the author's words in the beginning, and started to enter in it daily, and I realized the true power of saying "thanks." Breathnach accentuates the journal with amazing, often simplistic quotes which both move and inspire you. To those who say that this is merely a blank-paged journal, I must agree. However, how many of us can say that we actually DO write down 5, 6, or even 1 thing a day to which we say thanks? Plain and simple, this is a beautiful, often inspirational way to offer a very simple, yet powerful note to the universe: thank you. Those who follow the course of this journal throughout one year will realize how simplistic, yet amazing giving thanks is. Recounting your journey throughout the past year and seeing how your perceptions and values have molded around gratitude is a truly invaluable way to learn, and grow in life. Get this book - but more importantly, give it to a dear friend or loved one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Something More isnt just Something Else, Oct. 11 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
I have read "Something More" and I found it to be less than "Something More". What Sarah Ban Breathnach has written here in essence is one side of the Truth only, and it is seriously unbalanced and as such disturbingly dangerous. There are two basic flaws in her approach, both of which are implications by her ommisson to acknowledge there is more than just "Something Else". Firstly, by ommission she implies that women only have spiritual needs, and men have only wants ... wants driven by power, control and sex. Wrong! Ban Breathnach is divisive, she has divided female against male because she fails to recognise we are all truely our soul selves, and not our egos. We are all souls regardless of our sex, and we are all worthy of love and respect, not necessarily deserved of love and respect, but certainly we are all born worthy of these God given rights of life. Secondly, she has written this book from what I call "heart-sense" only, and without "mind-sense" in equal proportions the book is spiritually unbalanced. What do I mean? Love isnt everything, it is part of the balance ... Love must be balanced by Responsibility, and Responsibilty must be balanced by Love. Not only must we be responsible to and loving of ourselves, but we must be responsible and loving of those in our lives as well. Heart-sense and mind-sense, they must be in balance for spiritual Truth ... that is why God made Man and Woman, Sun and Moon, Light and Dark to constantly remind us of this. Sarah gave us "Something Else", not "Something More" in this book, but mind you, she is right, there really is "Something More" out there, and we are ALL worthy of that :) I welcome any comments about what I have written, and I hope Sarah isnt offended for what I had to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply life-changing, Dec 3 1999
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
searching for 5 DIFFERENT things to be grateful for each day can become something of a challenge after a few months but what a worthwhile challenge it is! the introduction to this book alone resonates with the core of my being and moves me to tears each time i read it - and i do so often. the author is so right - after a few months of writing down 5 different things i'm grateful for each day, my attitude, perspective and overall approach to life has been altered in the most positive way. even in the midst of some challenging and difficult situations, i find myself awakening with a prayer of gratitude on my lips and a feeling of awe at this wonderful thing called life. i've bought 15 copies of this book to give to family and friends as holiday gifts - it was given to me as a gift last christmas - and i am so grateful for that! it has enriched and blessed my life immeasurably, by awakening me to the abundant blessings surrounding me always.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Tool For Enrichment, Jan. 7 2002
K. Kramer (Newfield, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
This lovely book is perfect for recording those small (and large) blessings that truly constitute abundance. Some other reviewers have found fault with what they found to be limited space. But I think they've missed the point. This book never claimed to be a journal in the usual sense. When I write down a phrase or sentence describing something for which I am grateful, it opens the door to a realization of more and yet more things for which I am grateful. When I'm feeling low, I sometimes go back and read earlier entries and find myself smiling and experiencing again the joy of gratitude. Just this morning, I was reading some old entires and this phrase came into my mind: Happiness is a renewable resource. That thought in itself is a blessing to me. I've purchased two of these books in the past and am about to purchase several more, some for myself and some for gifts. It works!

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully beautiful book, April 18 2000
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
I really love this beautiful book. It has a simple country-styled design with just a few lines to jot down or sketch your feelings of gratitude, but you know something, I found all the space I needed because for me, even a single word fills my heart with memories of love and that's where I think gratitude really lives. This is a fun book and a neat tool of self-expression and self-awareness. For me, and I imagine for you too, the book gently guides one deep within to our own smiling soul. I love the books soft color and gentle designs and I guess that's one of the reasons why it's fun to carry around in my crazy-quilt purse, ready to be pulled out beneath a lazy willow or on the banks of a bubbling creek. The more I use the book, the more it's magic speaks to me.
Lily of the Valley Carnie, author - Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy, and Natural Magick

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners but serious journalers need more lines!, April 13 2000
IdeaMom (Northeast USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
I simply love Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance. And yes, the gratitude journal is a life changing experience. I would recommend it for anyone. This book is also nice if you can sum up your daily gratitude in a few words. I have a few friends who feel 5 lines for 5 daily seeds of gratitude is sufficient.
However, if you are like me and enjoy journaling. If your 5 items that you are grateful for turns in to 7, 10, even 20 items each day (believe me, once you get into the habit of the gratitude journal, you will become grateful for everything) -- then you need to purchase another journal. I would recommend buying this book for the inspiration, but buy a beautiful blank journal later as your gratitude grows!

5.0 out of 5 stars A winner!, Nov. 23 2002
Maureen "Unitarian Universalist Minister, Lif... (Hendersonville, New Caledonia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
I don't usually like self-help books, as anyone perusing my other reviews will know. But this one is different -- it offers an easy path for personal transformation, and lays out pages attractive so all you have to do -- all! -- is write five things for which you are grateful, one each on five little lines, each day. Author even gives you several pages of hints for when your own "gratitude pump" runs dry. This quote is variously attributed to Meister Eckhart or Mother Theresa, but the words ring true 100% when applied to the use of this Gratitude Journal: "If the only prayer you ever say is 'thank you', that will be sufficient." Give this book a try -- but WARNING -- regular use may change your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful, Jan. 17 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
My mother-in-law sent me this book for Christmas, this year, and I first thought, oh no, not another self help book. Let me tell you that just reading the first 17 days readings and I am hooked. I review the previous days reading and then read todays, and always read tomorrows. I feel like a different woman already! It has a calming effect on your soul and inner self that is amazing. I highly recommend this book to any woman that feels overwhelmed with balancing family, work and play. It really helps you to focus. What a wonderful thing to possess for this new century.
Mary B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Soul, Jan. 3 2000
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
The Journal is divided into days and months with five lines provided for each day's review of things to be grateful for. There is a whole page for reflection at each month's end. It is elegantly simple, with quotes from the famous as well as the author that stimulate the process of appreciation for things large and small. Keeping this daily journal has helped me focus on the positive, especially when it felt like there was little to be grateful for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Companion book for the brain, BEFORE the newspaper., Jan. 23 1999
kathyasmith@hotmail.com (western New York State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude (Hardcover)
A cherished book (a gift from an even more cherished friend), this book gently pries open the corners of one's thoughts; to let ideas, new and old, mingle with ideals. Gives one an approach to life's daily needs that minimizes the mundane chaos. Perfect size for ACTUAL use (easily fits on table corners, or in hands); the margins are wide enough for pencilled thoughts, too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude
Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude by Sarah Ban Breathnach (Hardcover - Nov. 5 1996)
CDN$ 16.00 CDN$ 11.55