5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Inheritance: A Suspenseful Tale of Intrigue
Even though the technological terminology makes this book challenging, I found Dark Inheritance by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear to be an excellent read. Never before have I found myself so completely engrossed in a book. Reading Dark Inheritance was a heart-pounding thrill ride with suspense and surprise at every twist and turn of the author's journey...
Published on Nov. 12 2003 by NR_Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable, but left alot to be desired.
Published on June 2 2003 by kikaii

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, May 8 2004
I agree with most of the earlier reviews - good and bad. Is it a rip off of Michael Crichton's Congo as well as Robin Cook? Heck yeah. But does that make it bad? Nope. It's a well-written rip-off and certainly entertaining.
I bought this at a lame used book store just for something to read. I had zero expectations and would not have been surprised in the least had it turned out to be sucky. The characters were very real to the point that I was able to read a situation and know each character well enough to know how he or she would react.
A *big* failing of this book was grammar. There are several points within the book that the tense of the story changes - without meaning or explaination. The sentences go from "He walked... and he saw..." to "He walks... and he sees..." I cannot stress how annoying this was. It was like a giant neon sign saying "HEY! We've got two authors here! And yes, they write alone sometimes!" I could understand this short-coming if it were, say, a dream sequence or a flash back or a separate story within the story. But no. Just bad form. It's things like that that tend to rip me right out of my excapist fanasy and right into proof-reading mode. I'm not sure if all of their works have this horrifying flaw since this is the first one I've had the pleasure of reading, but the authors *really* need to work on this.
All in all? Run to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars pure trash, March 15 2004
Nathan Kinzel (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
To summarize, the book tells the story of an English drug company's project to create genetically enhanced bonobos so that the species will have a better chance of survival and escape extinction.
To review, there's nothing to like in this book. More than half the characters are either totally disgusting, or stupid beyond belief. We have a spoiled, obsessed with sex thirteen year-old girl, a mother who abandoned her daughter to pursue her career, profit driven "hunters"/ poachers, and a colossal group of idiots pouring money, a good deal of which is obtained illegally, into an impractical, doomed-from-the-start endeavor. Even the scientific ideas become boring.
In regards to the emotional relationship between Brett (the spoiled girl) and her "sister"(Umber-one of the genetically enhanced bonobos), that feature disintegrates almost instantly due to continual overdone emotional yakking by almost every main character in the story.
If you do want to read about ape genetic engineering then look at Robin Cook's "Chromosome 6." D.I. is a complete rip-off of the latter and Cook's work is infinitely better in every detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Inheritance: A Suspenseful Tale of Intrigue, Nov. 12 2003
NR_Smith (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
Jim Dutton and his two daughters embark on a harrowing flight from the powerful SAC Corporation Determined to keep it's lucrative animal testing program hidden from the public. Jim's problems begin when he becomes attached to a bonobo chimp named Umber that he is given by the SAC Corporation for research. After twelve years of working with her, Jim not only feels that Umber is his own child, he also realizes there is something extraordinary about her. She is to smart.
When Jim begins to investigate, the SAC Corp. steps in and orders him to come to Africa. When strange and murderous things begin to happen at the SAC Corp. compound, Jim must enlist the help of a reporter to get his family home alive.
Dark Inheritance has a hauntingly plausible story line. The book explores capitalism's reign in the face of cutting edge medical achievements and the ethical choices that follow. The reader should expect interesting facts accompanied by graphic violence. Only the most daring readers will enjoy such a combination of exotic and grotesque novel. Parts of this book had me shaking with fear and others had me crying.
Another aspect of this book that I really enjoyed was the author's portrayal of Africa. The informative description of the jungle really made me feel as if I were there with the moist hot air all around. Being taken away to an unknown world where danger lurks in the shadows proved to be a refreshing escape.
Most enjoyable to me however were the characters. Umber, the bonobo is so much like a human that several times, I found I had to remind myself that she was a Chimpanzee. The characters in this book display so much courage and such a strong family bond that I couldn't help but feel an emotional attachment to them. The last page of this book was extremely sad because I felt that I was losing friends.
For all of these reasons, Dark Inheritance is the best book I have ever read. Never have I been so engrossed and felt so many emotions while reading a book. This is definitely one that I had a hard time letting go and was upset to see the end of. I highly recommend Dark Inheritance and look forward to starting the next novel that Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear publish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you turning pages far into the night!, Nov. 5 2003
"sctrainer" (Little River, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This book starts with an interesting (and not TOO speculative) thesis. Main characters are well fleshed out and sympathetic. Plot moves at a breakneck pace, and journeys between diverse geographical locations, which are also well developed!
This is the first book I have read by these authors, but it certainly won't be the last!

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable, but left alot to be desired., June 2 2003
Being a fan of Bonobos, I was sorely disappointed with the Gear's book. The writing was two-dimensional starting with a head to toe description of all the characters as they appeared, and ending with a decided LACK of scientific information, which surprised me. Nothing was mentioned of matriarchal, sexually open Bonobo society being far more peaceful than Pan Troglodytes', or even of the differences between the two types of chimps at a basic level. No explanation was given as to "how" they genetically altered the chimps, other than vague references of blue eyed mother chimps nursing babies and conversing in AMESLAN. All in all, it was flat. Passable as brain candy if there's nothing else to do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good prose is not enough. I Didn't finish it., May 22 2003
JEFF F. HAINES "Jeff F. Haines" (Arcata, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not sure what it is about this book. I've been picking it up and putting it down for a year now.
The concept is interesting: a selection of apes genetically engineered to be, as far as I can tell, on par with human intelligence. The writing itself, in my opinion, is pretty good. I like the prose.
And yet I am not compelled to finish the darn thing. I'm writing this review without having made it more than half-way through. That, in itself, is saying something. It's the best review I can give. I mean, if you can't finish a book. . .!
Oddly, I like the main characters. Jim is interesting, and his precocious daughter, Brett, is neat. Her sisterly relationship with the ape is well-done. So, yes, I love the bonobo, Umber, too, and I like how all of the "monkey" point of view scenes are written in present tense.
Maybe the central conflict isn't clear enough for me. From the start, I found myself a little bored. The novel begins with a prologue that absolutely did not intrigue me. "God, let's just get through this," I thought. The various points of view kept startling me out of the fictional setting. I found myself skim-reading, waiting to get back to Umber and her human family. I wanted to know only about them.
Maybe I'll finish it, I don't know. But despite the book's strengths, I can only give it two stars.
Again, I haven't finished Dark Inheritance. I hope that fact doesn't weaken this review too much. There are plenty of other reviews to help guide you, most of them positive. This has simply been my experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, July 28 2002
By A Customer
I enjoyed this book. The premise is interesting and believeable. The adventure the heroes embark on keeps your interest. I plan on reading more from the Gears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Ape!, July 14 2002
Dark Inheritance is a wonderfully written and developed novel, with credible and likeable characters. The Gears only write melodramas, and this is no exception - it's a given in their novels that the good guys will come out on top, and the bad guys will be hoist on one or another of their own petards. Dark Inheritance reads better than their Native Americans series, though, probably because it plays with far more interesting topics.
The plot is a credible prequel to Planet of the Apes: Smyth-Archer Chemists corporation in England has been tinkering with hybridizing ape and human DNA, resulting in twenty bonobo chimps with all but human brains. These animals are cared for and monitored in differing human family environments, each caretaker of one of the bonobos kept largely unaware of the others.
Anthropology teacher Jim Dutton is one of the caretakers. He has raised his female bonobo, Umber, since birth, alongside his own daughter, Brett. Both "girls" now, at age thirteen, are virtually sisters, and Umber is an intelligent and communicative member of the family - which causes considerable distress when Smyth-Archer wants Umber back.
Dutton and his daughter compromise with the corporation by accompanying Umber to one of their research facilities in Africa, where they soon learn that Smyth-Archer's experiments have not all turned out as well as Umber. A number of escaped chimpanzees from Compound D have been at large for some weeks. Not only are they developing civilized building and toolmaking skills, but they even show evidence of spiritual awareness. They're frighteningly organized. And they're not exactly peaceful...
This is a terrifically involving and satisfying read, which examines fairly well the moral and ethical questions of DNA tinkering, evolution, the psycho-social similarities and differences between humans and simians, and compatibility of species, among other things. It's intelligent, and engaging.
Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok but...., June 7 2002
Sue Scott (Atlanta, Ga. USa) - See all my reviews
Granted this book piqued my interest. I found myself sucked into it, lock, stock & barrel. It reminded me of a cross between Jurassic Park and Congo. Like in Congo you found yourself liking Amy (primate) and in Dark Inheritance you really do like Umber (primate). Her character had a childlike quality that endeared her to the reader.
Normally I love duo writing teams. They each bring something new to the mix. But this wasn't the case. I had hard time adjusting to the different style of writing each author brought. In the best writing teams (Preston/Childs)you can't decipher that two authors are writing the same book. In this particular book it was obvious. It just didn't flow. But overall I enjoyed it for what it was, a cheesy adventure tale to brighten up an afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting adventure, June 7 2002
"thrillerreader" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This is the first book I've read by the Gears. Now that I've discovered them, I plan on purchasing many more of their titles. Dark Inheritance is a great adventure story. It's superbly written. The characters are so well fleshed out, I really cared for them. I got so caught up in the exciting story that I regretted having to put it down long enough to catch some sleep.

ARRAY(0xaa8a8708)

Dark Inheritance: A Novel
Dark Inheritance: A Novel by W.Michael Gear (Hardcover - Feb. 27 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.92