4.0 out of 5 stars Love the reader....
James Patterson's Alex Cross series used to be my favourite. But I think I'm going to say it's now the Mike Bennett series. The last couple of Alex Cross books have been overly violent in my opinion, going for the shock and awe component.

I find the Bennett series entertaining without being offensive.

Children of wealthy New Yorkers are being...
Published on March 31 2010 by Luanne Ollivier

1.0 out of 5 stars Blatant Advertising - Highly disappointing
Published on Oct. 30 2010 by Sheryl Jenine Lee Angell

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the reader...., March 31 2010
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Worst Case (Audio CD)

I find the Bennett series entertaining without being offensive.

Children of wealthy New Yorkers are being kidnapped. There is no ransom though - instead the kidnapper gives the children a test. Pass - you live. Fail - lights out. How high is their social awareness of the world's plight?

The 'villain' of the last Bennett book was the Teacher - obsessed with social niceties and politeness. This time around it's social injustices and the state of the world.

I listened to Worst Case in audio format - as I will for all future Bennett books. The character of Mike is read by Bobby Canavale. I can't imagine a more perfect narrator - his voice is all New York, it's quick, rough and expressive. The 6 disc set also features two other readers - Orlagh Cassidy as the female Fibbie who's on the case with Mike and John Glover as the bad guy. Glover was particularly effective - his calm, clipped modulated voice made the kidnapper seem even more menacing. Cassidy was a good reader as well, but I just never warmed up to her character - I'm rooting for M.C. - the Bennett nanny.

True to form, Worst Case is short, snappy chapters, ending with cliffhangers, persuading you to listen to just one more chapter. The plot isn't overly complicated and there's a fun secondary plot involving Mike's love life. A thoroughly entertaining listen

5.0 out of 5 stars Does not Disappoint!, Feb. 19 2010
Shirley Rempel (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Worst Case (Hardcover)
Wow, wow, wow! James Patterson is one of my favorite mystery/suspense writers and with the release of Worst Case I was NOT disappointed!!! I have long been an Alex Cross fan, but I am definitely making room for Detective Michael Bennet. I would love to see this book done as a movie, and as I was reading it, could totally visualize it as one. If you have read my reviews, you know that is one way I will review a book...if I think it will make a great movie! Worst Case certainly would!

The twists and turns throughout the book are a plenty, and I love that Patterson shows the reader just how "real" Detective Bennet is with dealing with the aftermath of a spousal death and his gaggle of 10 children! This was a very quick read...I read it in two days (would have been quicker, except I have 2 kids and run a home daycare)...and I highly recommend it! Can't wait to read the next Patterson book...its already on my wish list:)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another stellar performance by Michael Bennett, March 30 2010
This review is from: Worst Case (Hardcover)
This is yet another solid book from author James Patterson. I like his Michael Bennett series as much as, if not more than his Alex Cross series. It was riveting, fast-paced, and engaging. The only thing that seemed to make it less than perfect is the fact that the police officers (and FBI agent) only "screamed, cried, or yelled". They didn't seem to do anything else. I found that to be quite annoying. Other than that it was a good read, and one I would definitely tell Patterson fans to pick up. I enjoyed the development of the new character "Emily Parker" but I found because of that, we didn't get to spend as much time with Mary Catherine. She seemed to fade into the background. As always the kids are entertaining, all 10 of them, however they didn't seem to play as large a role in this book either. Regardless, this was a good book, and I do recommend it to those wanting a quick read, or to get their Patterson fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Patterson, April 7 2014
Larry Smet (Delhi, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Case (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoy reading his books and am continually looking forward to the next one to read. A really good author

4.0 out of 5 stars Micahel Bennett 3rd of the series cannot get enough, Nov. 27 2013
There are some very sick people in Manhatten, Michael Bennett teams up with some interesting characters, again the pages turn quickly. Very enjoyable read if you like action, and mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worst Case, Sept. 23 2013
James Patterson at his best. I read the book in one day because I couldn't put it down and it was so easy to read.Kudos to James and Michael for a fine collaboration.

5.0 out of 5 stars James Patterson books are the BEST, Sept. 23 2013
Francine Martin (St. Pascal Baylon, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worst Case (Mass Market Paperback)
Love, love, love all JP books (except for the Maximum Ride series, can't stand the MRs)! Glad JP has so many published books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blatant Advertising - Highly disappointing, Oct. 30 2010
This review is from: Worst Case (Paperback)
You would think an author of James Pattersons caliber would have made enough money without having to start advertising in such a blatantly distracting way by mentioning Verizon Wireless at every possible turn. I was put off by the first and second mention, but by the fifth time I was utterly and truly annoyed. I've got a bookshelf of his novels and after reading this one I feel truly and utterly disappointed by him "Selling out".

We all know there are subtle mentions of products in all novels. However it needs to be relevant and not insult the reader. This was shameless, uncomfortable and just plain cheesy. I'm totally disappointed with the author and the publishing house that felt it was appropriate.

The story, in this novel, was actually good. I've felt that in general James Patterson has started relying on his name a bit to much, but if he would have stuck to storytelling I would have been interested in purchasing further items in this series. At this point however if I want to be exposed to such commercialism I will stick with watching Television. At least I expect it there.

Jenine

Worst Case
Worst Case by Michael Ledwidge (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01