5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant book
Published on Oct. 5 2010 by A. Volk

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, lacking a bit in substance.
I had high hopes for this book, being a fan of Jon Stewart and the Daily Show. I was a bit disappointed as about half way through the book i realized this was it! There were a few laugh out loud spots that I thought made it a worthwhile read, but as a whole I was left feeling a better job could have been done.
On another note I felt the tone of the book was somewhat...
Published on Nov. 5 2010 by Melissa V.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant book, Oct. 5 2010
A. Volk (Canada) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (#1 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race (Hardcover)
This book is sort of an encyclopedia about modern humans. The premise is that we don't have long to live as a species, so this book is meant to be a guide for future generations who somehow survive the upcoming apocalypse and/or aliens who visit our planet after we're gone. The book is in the format of a visual guide, with lots of scribble notes to explain the pictures. There is regular text too, but the book is really full of interesting and funny pictures.

The content runs the range from the Earth itself, biology, human biology, culture, science, and religion. The writing is classic Daily Show material. Jon (and members of his show) spare no one in their lampooning modern people, our culture, and our views of the world. Of course, special treatment is given to tea-baggers, or at least, people who think like they do. If you enjoy the Daily Show (and I do), I think you'll definitely enjoy the humor of this book. The humor is not for the faint-hearted, particularly those who are sensitive about religion. In a way, I think this is what Jon Stewart does best. Sure, his show is often more informative than the so called "news networks" (CNN, Fox, MSNBC), but at it's core it's a comedy show that tries to sneak in some information too. I think that's what this book does too. It's a funny book that also makes you stop and think for every once in a while. Which makes it just about perfect as a coffee table book (which it is supposed to be a parody of). I don't think it will be a timeless classic in comedy (for one thing, there's too many pop references), but right now, it's a great bit of light, funny reading. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, lacking a bit in substance., Nov. 5 2010
Melissa V. "miss7821" (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
On another note I felt the tone of the book was somewhat sexist, there was very little mention of women and the role they played in history and the jokes that poked fun at female stereotypes were not very original or clever.
It had the potential to be a witty and poignant addition to satire of humanity, but instead it fell flat.

Probably worth a read though.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so much, Aug. 15 2013
Love John Stewart, didn't read much, but enough to know it wasn't my "cup of tea". When one has to try several times to "enjoy" it probably wasn't worth it to start with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do not leave any copies for aliens to read, Oct. 19 2010
Suhail Zubaid AHMAD "Suhail Zubaid-Ahmad" (Mississauga, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Yes, the human race is dead and we are being visited by aliens. This book is introducing us, as an extinct species, to the visitors from far away. In the process, the blue planet we lived on, all we were and what we did has been described in such a way that belittles all our achievements, such as mass destruction, environmental degradation, love for pomp and show, etc. and all our peoples and ideologies, such as tea baggers, religions, governments, etc. If the aliens visit us in the future, long after we have self destructed, it will leave a really bad picture of us for them. In my opinion, this book should be taken off the shelves pronto. We can help it by buying them off the shelves, off the warehouses and off the net. Not a single copy should be left for the aliens to read. And when you have bought your copy and contributed to this great cause, you might as well read it to laugh out at ourselves.

3.0 out of 5 stars Reminds me of old Cracked Mag spoofs., Oct. 24 2010
Christopher Rossiter "oxjr" (Alma, NB Canada) - See all my reviews
It wasn't the laugh a minute I was expecting. More of a slight grin kinda book. I don't regret buying it as I am a fan - and a coffee-tableish book by Jon Stewart is kinda like owning memerobilia of the show. As a stand alone book I would simple say `meh`.

4.0 out of 5 stars Earth(The Book):A Visitor's Guide To The Human Race, Feb. 7 2011
H. Epp "Bookworm05" (Winnipeg,MB.Canada) - See all my reviews
What can I say about this book except that anything Jon Stewart puts his mind to is funny...and this book is funny!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Earth The Book, Jan. 27 2011
I'm a Jon Stewart fan. The layout of the book surprised me but I found it very funny. If you like sarcastic humor you will enjoy the book. Well worth the purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Laughs, Jan. 11 2011
This book is an easy read, except for the times you have to stop reading to wipe away the tears from laughing! I can just picture the group of writers sitting around putting this together.... I'm betting they had a blast! Only downside is that the print around the pictures is pretty small, at least for these old eyes. Must confess, I read it with a magnifying glass nearby, just so I didn't miss anything!

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, not good, Jan. 10 2011
Much like others, I enjoy The Daily Show but found this book lacking. It reads like an encyclopedia and the jokes often fall flat. Save your money and get a Daily Show t-shirt or something.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, not great, Dec 13 2010
David Girard (Montreal) - See all my reviews
I really enjoyed America: The Book but this somehow feels weaker overall. Before getting it, I was thinking "how will they make this funny without just a bunch of sarcastic quips about us crapping on the planet?" They didn't. Sure, it's tough to avoid this but it becomes a bit of a crutch too often and the book lacks the editorial variety to keep it from becoming just a bunch of short jokes with diagrams, so you can only take it in very short doses. There are some very funny things in it but it feels rushed overall and lacks the balance that made America an easy read you looked forward to. I feel like I'm just reading the rest of this because I bought it.

ARRAY(0xb678c1ec)