1,159 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!!!
Published on July 12 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing to say the least...
Published on June 2 2004 by Laura

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing to say the least..., June 2 2004
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought "The Notebook" after seeing previews for the movie coming out in June. I was looking forward to reading a love story set in the 1930's, your traditional 'poor-boy-meets-rich-girl' type story, where they overcome obstacles to finally find the love they've searched for all their lives. I was hoping for an in depth exploration of the main characters' personalities and lives, and a detailed description of their exploits together and what it was that made their love so special.
Instead, I got one of the least held-together, least interesting and least fluid books I've ever read. I wanted to read about the love that brought Allie and Noah together in the first place, and what happened after they reunited later in life. I was not interested at all in what happens when they are old and grey and at the end of their lives.
I found the narration to be overdone and somewhat diminutive. A lot of the dialogue was unrealistic, and the letters between Allie and Noah didn't seem real at all; rather than actual love letters between two people they were used to provide the reader with plot details that the author didn't seem to be bothered with explaining in detail.
Basically, the story was dull and jumped around from point to point. The most disappointing part is that it COULD have been so much more interesting, it had so much more potential, but it seems like it was rushed to production.
I am very disappointed and definetly want my 10$ back. This is not worth the money at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the movie, Sept. 28 2006
Henri Thibodeau (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
I saw the movie first and I found it charming, moving and touching - I had to read the book. However, this is one of these rare instances where I have found the movie script much better than the original book. The ending if something else altogether. Definitely a let-down compared to the movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars At best this is a "Harlequin" love story in disguise, Aug. 29 2004
M. Thompson (Dundas, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
....and I do not mean to disrespect the Harlequin Books publishers -- but I cannot believe or understand the fact that this book has been on a bestseller list for as long as it has. Are people really so desperate for an easy read that they would give this book anything more than a passing glance? Is it a status thing - to be able to say that one only reads books that make it to the bestsellers' list? Thankfully, I borrowed it from a friend who hopefully also borrowed it from someone else!
It is one of the silliest books I've read since high school days when Harlequin romance novels were a step up from the comic books of elementary school days! A 'bodice ripper' masquerading as 'literature'? Oh please! The book's jacket states it is a "story of miracles that will stay with you forever" ...hopefully not! With descriptive words like "rippling muscles" and the mad and wreckless abandon of the phrases "he felt her hands on his back, beckoning him" and "when they finally joined as one, she cried aloud" ... I don't know...as a reader, I was really spent. Had to take a cold shower.....
Honestly, it sounds like formula writing to me...."How to Write and Get PUBLISHED in THREE, that's right! THREE Easy Lessons".
The one star I gave this 'novel' is to recognize "a great love" that the writer says was his inspiration-his wife's grandparents' lives. Perhaps when they LIVED it, it was great; however, Mr. Sparks' interpretation of that love has lowered it to a boring, sappy and very uninspiring story. While I do not trivialize the devastation of health issues on some lives, this novel just isn't worth anyone's time or money.
This is just my opinion, but I really have to wonder who started the ball rolling on this story's FIVE STAR status. I did read it, so I guess I fell for it too but geesh!?! Do we see a marketing guru before us? It's all about the hype. So sad.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, July 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Notebook (Paperback)
If you've ever considered writing a book but decided against it because of lack of talent or whatever, then read this book. This book is so bad that it will give you hope. If trash like this can be published anything can.
I lost all respect for this story the minute I decided to dog-ear the pages instead of using a book mark - I usually have more respect for books. Then, I threw all caution to the wind and took it into the bath with me. I thought it might warm me and the story up a little. After my bath, as I was cleaing the tub-line with ajax, I decided I'd have more respect for my bath in future.
I've just finished reading "Her Second-Chance Man" by Cara Colter, published by Harelquin in the Silouhette Romance line and it had more warmth, humor and story than this piece of tripe. I'd like to make that recommendation because I don't want this review to be completely negative. But hey, Mr. Sparks is very, very cute, a man writing in a female genre, and obviously, very, very lucky because talent has nothing to do with it my dear!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 16 2004
Katryna (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
Do you believe in true love? If you don't, after reading this book (and seeing this movie) you just might!
This book follows the journey of two young lovers (Noah Calhoun and Allie Nelson) who fall magically in love over the summer and are reunited 14 years later after their lives have taken completely different turns. We hear their story through a man who is reading the story of Noah and Allie to a woman who is suffering from Alzheimers.
While this book is cliche... it is so perfectly written (almost TOO perfectly written) that it tugs at all the right heartstrings at all the right times. It epitomizes true, everlasting love, and will bring out the romantic in you :)
Read it and then see the movie to get the full affect, as the movie focuses more on Noah and Allie's teenage years and portrays them more realistically and passionate. Plus the chemistry by the two leads (Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams) is AMAZING...I don't think i've seen this much chemistry in a movie for a VERY LONG TIME. Definitely a must see for everyone from hopeless romantics to pessimistic ones!

1.0 out of 5 stars The NO-book, July 14 2004
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
Without being dramatic, this is, without a doubt, the worst book I have ever read. The story itself is rather trite but innocuous -- a slightly different spin on a love story you've heard before. There are no surprises here, in part because of how the story is told as a retrospect. The tale is not very imaginative, but it's inoffensive and the humdrum material is not what makes this an awful read.
The "prose", if you can call it that, is so horribly pedestrian and uninspiring. Sparks feels the need to form one awkward metaphor after another and catalogues with painstaking detail the minutia in a relatively bland world. Does anyone care how many glasses of sweet tea Noah consumes? The book is already short, but if you cut out the clutter and descriptions of mind-numbingly dull details, you'd see that Sparks really only had the material for a short story.
A skilled writer might have made a relatively inspid idea palatable. Sparks is clearly not such a writer. My only condolence is that even with all the needless information, the book is still short and you can have it done in a few hours. I never thought I'd see the day when a movie adaptation so wholy surpassed its source material, but with "The Notebook", things couldn't get much worse. I say just spend your $5.99 on the movie. It's slightly more charming and finishes even quicker than reading this tripe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable!!!, July 12 2004
Amazon Customer "Ellen M." (East Providence, RI (USA)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was so amazing. I read the entire thing in one night (stayed up until 5:30 a.m. finishing it and then got up and went to work 3 hours later--yes, it was that good). I was disappointed to read another review that stated Mr. Sparks is not a great writer but presents a good story. I think what the reader was trying to convey was that while the story is not written in elegant prose, it's simplistic language wraps you up so tightly in the story and doesn't let go until the last page (which then leaves you running to find the sequel, The Wedding). It is so well written and in such a casual easy-read manner that you can't help but feel a part of these characters in your soul. My heart ached for them as I turned page after page. A longing to be one with the story enraptured me almost as if I were telling my own story. There were several times I cried audibly while reading, tears streaming down my face. Never has a book touched me so deeply! I can't wait to see the movie! If you love love stories and have ever known the real true kiss of love (as Mr. Sparks surely must have) you will LOVE this book! I think I will read it again and again over the years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicholas Sparks First and BEST Novel!, July 1 2004
JJ Stark (Cicero, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
Nicholas Sparks has been my favorite author for a very long time now. I have read each and every one of his novels (and his recent memoir) since the original release of THE NOTEBOOK almost ten years ago.
THE NOTEBOOK is Nicholas Sparks' first, and by far, the BEST of all the novels he has written. This is the book which started it all, earning Nicholas Sparks a place on Best Seller lists everywhere. When it was originally released, the HC spent more than ONE YEAR (actually, almost TWO YEARS!) on the Best Sellers list. By now, it is probably close to (or maybe even surpassed) its 50th printing!
This novel is such a fan favorite, and "Noah and Allie" are so beloved, that Sparks was inspired to write a 'sequel' (THE WEDDING) to it just last year (the only 'sequel' he's ever written!). In fact, according to a recent poll on Sparks' website, the character of 'Noah' is by far the most popular of all the characters Sparks has created, earning more than TWICE the number of votes that the second place character earned!!
The recent release of the movie has spawned a new 'generation' of readers and should (rightfully so) earn Mr. Sparks many new fans. I hope that those who have recently read THE NOTEBOOK for the very first time will continue with Noah & Allie's story, by following it up with THE WEDDING, and then at least one other of the many Best Selling novels Sparks has written. (To fully appreciate the wonderful 'gift' of Nicholas Sparks and THE NOTEBOOK, I encourage readers to read his recent Best Selling memoir, THREE WEEKS WITH MY BROTHER, where readers can learn how these characters were brought to life, and what has inspired Sparks to be the author he is today!).
What I love about a Nicholas Sparks novel is that most readers can identify with at least one of the many characters he has created over the years. Whether it be the lovable, sentimental 'Noah'; the sweet, innocent 'Jamie' (WALK TO REMEMBER); the strong, hero 'Taylor' (THE RESCUE); the life-saving protector 'Mike' (THE GUARDIAN); the cautious loner who rediscovers love 'Garret' (MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE); the hard-working, determined, loving mother 'Denise' (THE RESCUE); the smart-alleck young man who learns how to love 'Landon' (WALK TO REMEMBER); or any one of the many others, Nicholas Sparks creates characters which we can all find within ourselves. Readers can identify with these characters in every way - from their strong will, vulnerable hearts and determined spirit.
Altho classified as a "love story", THE NOTEBOOK and other Sparks' novels, are not just love stories between a man and a woman - within the pages of a Nicholas Sparks novel, readers will find the love stories of mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, and neighbors. They are the inspired "love stories" of all of us, and are especially needed in the world we live in today.
THE NOTEBOOK is a truly inspired story, and Nicholas Sparks is a gifted writer, deserving every bit of the attention & praise this new movie has generated. By climbing the Best Sellers list again - nearly ten years after its original release - and capturing the hearts of a new generation of readers, THE NOTEBOOK has proven itself to be a classic, timeless love story for all ages, and Nicholas Sparks as an author to be cherished, appreciated, and read for many years to come.
(If you've read THE NOTEBOOK and enjoyed it, be sure to follow it up with THE WEDDING - Noah & Allie aren't "complete" until readers have gone full circle!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Love Story, June 30 2004
Erika Sorocco (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Notebook (Mass Market Paperback)
The year is 1946, and thirty-one-year-old Noah Calhoun is back living in North Carolina, after escaping from World War II unscathed. However, instead of being haunted by war images, he is haunted by images of his first love, the one who got away back when he was a mere teenager in the year 1932. Allie was everything he'd ever wanted, and never expected to find in a girl. Smart, beautiful, and she loved him. Little does he know, but Allie has never forgotten him either. Twenty-nine-year-old socialite Allie Nelson is about to enter into a deep, serious marriage with Lon, a wealthy lawyer, whom she cares deeply for, but isn't in love with. So, three weeks before her wedding day, Allie decides to head towards coastal North Carolina to visit Noah, hoping that she will be able to prove to herself that their romance was nothing more than young love, but what she finds is quite different, and leaves her in a heartbreaking predicament, choosing between two men she cares for.
When I saw the movie trailers for THE NOTEBOOK, I felt that it looked interesting, and decided to go out and read the book before seeing the movie. I was unsure of what I would find, but after reading this treasure from Nicholas Sparks I am happy that I chose to do so. THE NOTEBOOK is one of the most touching, and beautifully written novels that I have ever had the chance to discover. The words are passionate and thought-provoking, leaving the reader full of joy and happiness, as well as longing. From the moment you delve into page one, you will be unable to remove your eyes or mind from this amazing work of literature, and while the reader will be saddened to see the book come to an end, they will also be filled with satisfaction. A must-read book this summer, or anytime of the year for that matter.
Erika Sorocco

4.0 out of 5 stars Film Won Me Over; Now to Read the Book, June 28 2004
This review is from: The Notebook (Hardcover)
I am not averse to sappy love stories, but the film's trailer gave hint to a melodrama I thought I would rather do without. After a brief hesitation, I suggested to my wife that we see the film. The story was predictable and not exactly original, neither of which kept me from crying. I think the story (which I assume, based on the reviews, is even more vivid in the book) will appeal to married couples, to elderly folks who have lost their spouse, and to any romantic who still appreciates a good love story. The one appealing part of the film, which steers away from previous stories of the same genre, is that Noah and Allison are not free from disagreements in their relationship. On the contrary, Sparks makes sure to highlight the extreme disagreements in the relationship. The objective is to show that if you love someone enough, you work at resolving your differences. There is no such thing as a perfect relationship.
This story is a fine example of entertainment that is infused with heart, and enough reality that you can relate to the characters. (Who doesn't think about growing old with your loved one, and the issues that come with old age?)

The Notebook
The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1998)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available