Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools minions

Hotel Transylvania
Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
on September 15, 2002
I can't help but wonder if I read a different book than everyone else here. I picked this up last week and was intrigued by the summary on the back and purchased it. I do have to say that it was very well researched, but that's about all I can say for it.
From reading the back, I was looking forward to a "disturbing," "erotic" story that would haunt me the way Anne Rice's vampires did when I first read them. Instead I got a definite lack of character development, and got a story where everything happened by rote. I wanted to see Saint-Germain fall in love with Madelaine. For someone who's lived for so long and held himself apart from people, what made her different? What made her so irresistable to him? We don't get to see that at all. As for erotic...um, no. A whole love scene that is comprised of "and he worshiped her with his hands and his lips" (possible paraphrase) is not erotic. Sorry. I know that makes it look like all I wanted was an erotic novel, and that's not true. But if I'm told on the back of the book that it's "disturbing" and "erotic," then that's what I expect on the inside. And it was neither.
Two stars because the time period was very well researched, although I didn't like how the action was brought to a screeching halt to describe what everyone was wearing. And I love it when someone does a new and original take on the vampire mythos. That shows creativity.
I'm glad her books are so popular, but I didn't even finish this one, and don't intend to seek out any more.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again