5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating cabinet indeed
Published on Jan. 22 2004 by daveriprock

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cabinet Of Curiosities
This is the second thriller by Preston & Child I've read--the other being Thunderhead. (I've seen the film version of The Relic, but that doesn't really influence my remarks here.)
Published on Feb. 7 2004 by sleeping sheepsnake

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing : it *is* too much !, April 6 2004
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
I found this book a disappointment. I cannot tell if it is because I read it right after Relic, by the same authors, which had very favorably impressed me. This opus sees the comeback of several characters that appeared in previous Preston & Child books (Special Agent Pendergast from Relic, Nora Kelly from Thunderhead and Smithback, appearing in both) as well as the environment of the N.Y. Museum of Natural History, but one does not get the impression of a coherent universe : the Museum's top brass is changed, as is the N.Y. mayor, one wonders where is Margo Green from Relic... and Pendergast is *Really* too much. Too wealthy, too smart, too able... all in all incredible, or should I say unbelievable? . Whereas Relic was a good horror thriller, including the nasty stroke at the end; the Cabinet of Curiosities demands really too much from the reader's goodwill and suspension of disbelief . The sequence of events leading to the serial killer going on a spree, and putting on his trail the only man able to find him out, and who, coincidentally, is ideally fitted for the task with all the necessary traits and who, moreover, is tied to him by bonds the reader will discover as he goes along... It is all too much for me. Perhaps you'll like it better than I did, if you are really fans of the genre or the authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most entertaining books of the year, Feb. 25 2004
Larry (Tampa, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
At a construction site in Lower Manhattan, a grizzly discovery is made. Thirty-six bodies are discovered in an excavated basement passageway. The bodies are those of children dead for over one hundred years. At that location was a Cabinet of Curiosities or a museum of oddities quite reminiscent of a circus freak show or, perhaps today's Ripley's Believe It or Not Museums found in so many city's tourist centers. A mysterious FBI Special Agent named Pendergast enlists the help of Nora Kelly, researcher for the Museum of Natural History to attempt to get to the bottom of the crimes. Nora wonders what relevance this old crime can be to the modern FBI until soon after the press picks up the story, the murders begin again. Pendergast and Nora must try to solve the crimes before they themselves become the killer's next victim.
THE ALIENIST by Caleb Carr is one of my favorite mystery novels. It is rooted in the past-New York City of the 1890s where a serial killer is haunting the streets killing prostitutes. Surprisingly, this book, although set in modern times, is quite reminiscent of THE ALIENIST for several reasons. The ties to the 19th century is crucial to the story; a team is assembled to fight the killer and the killer is quite ingenious. They are also very long books that move at an incredibly fast pace. THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES simply cannot be put down. The Museum of Natural History long a Mecca for families has in it's basement a nightmarish maze that becomes the setting for one of the most terrifying scenes in the book. Chinatown, Riverside Drive and Central Park are all used to a chilling effectiveness as the chase for the killer is on. In spite of a conclusion that might be a bit too outlandish, I definitely recommend this as one of the most entertaining books this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Cabinet Of Curiosities, Feb. 7 2004
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
There's nothing really wrong with The Cabinet Of Curiosities--and there was nothing really askew with Thunderhead, come to that, which was also a three-star exercise--but it simply fails to elevate itself above the use of some rather traditional thriller routines. Preston & Child have polished up a fairly compelling style, by this time. They've done their research, and their continuous fascination with the bowels of dusty museum-type edifices--and the hints of magic and menace that could be lurking in such arcane paper-trails turned paper-traps--are addictive reading as each chapter is digested. I also feel that they handle characters quite well; how could I not love Agent Pendergast, being such a big fan of the Doctor, from Doctor Who? He seems cut from the same cloth, and I can almost imagine William Hartnell stepping into the role of Pendergast, with all his little tricks and strangenesses, were this a film. Nora Kelly, too, is a strong recurring character in these thrillers--and Smithback the wily reporter is a stock character who develops sufficiently beyond the stereotype he springs from. Then there's the mood...the sense of danger lurking; who is our methodical, elusive serial killer who turned autopsy into a form of murder back in the 1880's and seems to have returned to plague modern times, just when a forgotten charnel house full of the bones of thirty-six victims from his ancient murder-spree is unearthed. There is a splendid taste of Steampunk to all of this: the derby-hatted, umbrella-wielding slayer who roams the night, throwing a bag over the head of his next victim, and dragging them off for weird, horribly lethal, spinal surgery for some sinister purpose that stretches back a hundred years and relates to some dreadful bit of biologically-enhanced alchemy, if you will. And how are the killings linked to the prestigious museum where Nora Kelly works, and butts heads with her superiors? Is it just that somewhere in the museum archives--down deep in the dark basement--lie the notes that would explain what the murderer is doing and why he could be alive after a century? Or is the museum connection not nearly so fanciful...Could someone who works there have a reason for apeing the techniques of a long-dead psychopath?
Pendergast is a continuously facsinating character, and adds to the Steampunk feel, since he seems to have stepped out of a bygone era of gaslamps and carriages...and then it turns out he can step right back into that era, though before calling him a time-traveler it must be said he uses the cheater's way. Still cool, though. But this fine character, and the others, are not able to distract me from a final assessment of the plot, which is, when all is weighed and balanced, fairly standard. The individual scenes that build suspense--the heroes hunting the killer, while he or she hunts them--and the blossoming into full-fledged action, are all expertly crafted. It is the overall story that is not new, that gives in and ultimately turns rather routine corners. Preston & Child, talented thriller purveyors, are working established formula pretty determinedly in this effort as they did in Thunderhead, and despite all of the fun of reading The Cabinet Of Curiosities, it is nothing original or daring. It is simply another strong thriller. Is that fine with you? If so, okay.

1.0 out of 5 stars Preston/Child flub another great concept., Feb. 3 2004
James Kosub (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, the best-selling authors of RELIC, MOUNT DRAGON and other novels, write the literary equivalent of those splashy, overbudgeted movies that crowd the multiplexes every summer. Frequently tied to some nifty high concept, Preston/Child's books somehow never seem to pay off on their promise, delivering thick manuscripts loaded down with soggy, flaccid prose and poorly-defined characters. THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES is, sadly, no exception.
Like many of Preston/Child's novels, THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES has a fantastic premise: a serial killer who stalked the streets of New York in the late 19th century might still be alive. This killer, nicknamed The Surgeon, doesn't just dispatch his victims, but performs a gruesome operation on them, removing a section of the lower spine. As the novel opens, a long-buried coal tunnel is discovered during construction of a new apartment building. Inside the tunnel, sealed into its walls, are the remains of more than thirty victims of the old Surgeon, their spines dissected. Not long after this discovery, new victims are taken, and the cycle of mutilation begins again.
This is a fascinating basis for a thriller, especially the sort of off-kilter story Preston/Child like to tell. Are the new murders copycats, or the original Surgeon? The question becomes more pressing when the main characters discover that the purpose of the mutilations was to uncover the secret of extending life. So it becomes possible that a serial killer more than one hundred years old is out on the streets.
It's hard to figure out how experienced authors could bungle such a great idea, but Preston/Child manage to do so. The problem lies mainly with their inability to draw compelling characters. Preston/Child, in all of their books, fall back on a storytelling mode that could be called Everybody's A Jerk. Frequently used on television and in movies, Everybody's A Jerk narratives depict all characters other than the heroes as completely ineffectual, petty, or just plain stupid. This tendency grows even more annoying when the protagonists are in turn shown to have no recognizable human faults.
THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES revolves around Preston/Child's answer to Sherlock Holmes: FBI Special Agent Pendergast. Seen in RELIC and its sequel, RELIQUARY, Pendergast is absolutely flawless; he knows everything there is to know on any subject, is wildly rich, and is utterly unflappable. There's never any doubt that he'll succeed in his plans when he's literally never wrong on any count. Pendergast marches through the novel like a giant among the little people. Even his comrades, Nora Kelly (from THUNDERHEAD) and Bill Smithback (from RELIC, RELIQUARY and THUNDERHEAD), are startlingly inept next to this perfect being.
Thus deprived of any real tension, thanks to the hero's infallibility, THE CABINET OF CURIOSITIES slogs through hundreds of pages of bitter, unpleasant point-of-view rambling by the extensive cast of numbskulls - Everybody's A Jerk, remember? - until finally lurching into a startlingly wrongheaded conclusion. The climax hinges on elements never revealed to the reader and therefore lacks even a token amount of tension. Preston/Child's novel deflates like an inner tube with a nail in it, and then mercifully stops, but not before setting up an inevitable sequel. What did we do to deserve that?

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating cabinet indeed, Jan. 22 2004
"daveriprock" (newton, ma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
Another intelligent and captivating novel by two gifted storytellers. Set in modern day New York City and featuring numerous characters from previous works, this mystery interweaves a series of similar murders that occured a century ago as well as in the present. Like other Preston/Child novels, a key premise and driving factor behind the murders stretches the bounds of plausibility, but we know this before we begin the first page, don't we? Though he does not appear on every page, the book is greatly enhanced by the presence of central charactor Pendergast, the enigmatic, wordly and uber-competent FBI Agent, freelancing once again in New York. His role takes on more depth in this book, though I find him to be such a great character that I hoped to encounter him more often. As usual with their novels, this is a page turner in which you'll learn a bit about a few arcane topics and encounter enough twists and turns to keep you guessing until the end. My sense that the characters could have been better and more deeply developed did not detract significantly from my overall enjoyment. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just loved this book!!!, Jan. 5 2004
Karen Kirsch "blazerlib" (Novi, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
Give me a book with a New York setting and a serial killer and you have just made my day. This one was awesome for me. Lots of bones discovered while excavating for a new building. Now Special Agent Pendergast is called to the scene and enlists Nora, an insignificant worker at the New York Museum of Natural History. But he realizes her talents, and her reporter boyfriend is also imbedded in the mystery. The "Cabinet of Curiosities" takes us back to the late 1800's when scientists and
explorers were discovering new animals, artifacts, and cultural
items that astounded the people of that time. They became kind of a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.
I was totally intrigued by the information imparted. The mystery was so interesting. I have run out and purchased all the Preston/Child books I could find. However, I do remember reading "Relic" very many years ago and honestly recall almost every bit about it. That's saying a lot...since I can hardly recall the plot line of some books that I read 2 weeks ago!

5.0 out of 5 stars Juicy Read!, Dec 21 2003
"aquila727" (GLENDALE, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
The premise of "The Cabinet of Curiosities" has already been described so I won't go over it again. I just got done reading this and I was blown away! This is my first book by these particular authors and I so enjoyed them! I heartily recommend this novel.
I agree with the previous reviewer cyk1: the climax wasn't as "wild" as I thought it was going to be. However, this really did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. The plot-line was layered and intelligent, but exciting and unpredictable. I really loved the characters: they were so well-written and diverse. The story is set in present times, but is connected with hundred-year-old murders that happened in NYC. The authors include rich, historic details about the times in which these murders occured that are wonderful to read, but never superfluous. I felt it was hard to stop reading and never came across slow, drawn-out bits. Finally, while being a being a very entertaining book it was definitely *not* formulaic. The characters and the plot-line were very innovative. And, just to add, there were no cheezy romantic sub-plots or graphic hanky-panky, which for me is a plus and just exemplifies the sophistication of this book.
A juicy, enjoyable read! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.9 stars...., Nov. 12 2003
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
I won't attempt to reply to all the arguments placed here about the book, but I will say that perhaps if you've never read a book by this duo, you shouldn't start here. I myself had no problem understanding and really savoring the main characters (Nora, Pendergast, Smithback)--but then I was introduced to them many books ago, so perhaps I am biased.
I love Preston & Child novels for the nonstop action. I enjoy taking an entire evening (after dinner and family things are done) where I can stay up all night to finish the book in one sitting. This book is no exception--it will hook you because it's fast-paced, it has a clever premise (100 year old murders), and beautiful details.
With that said, I had two major problems. Well, make that three.
1. Every fifth page of my paperback version had the bottom two lines of print blurry. I do hope that was a fluke and not all editions came out that way.
2. I, personally, didn't like the way the mystery resolved itself. I was expecting something...wilder, I guess. Not to say it wasn't wild enough--it's plenty wild, in its own way. Judging by the fact that I give it 4.9 stars anyway, it was clearly not enough of a letdown to mar my enjoyment of the book.
3. There is a paragraph on page 580 that seems to suggest an extra person being introduced, who never *is* actually mentioned anymore. Maybe I just misunderstood the paragraph--someday I hope to find someone to discuss that with.
All in all, it's a very thrilling, fascinating book. BUT, a large part of its fascination is the in-depth look at Pendergast--if you don't know this character yet, you'll spoil some of the fun of the other books by reading this one first. This book is not a series book; it can stand alone, but it is my opinion that one's enjoyment of this book is greatly enhanced by already being curious about Pendergast.
If you're curious to try a Preston & Child novel, please don't be put off by the negative reviews here. I think many of them stem from not being familiar with the key characters; the book presumes you to already care about them when you pick it up, so the characterization is slim on the whole, but taken in full with the other books by this duo, the key characters here grow by leaps and bounds. (Want to know where to start? Start with The Relic, then Reliquary, then work your way up in order of publication. You'll meet everyone in the right order.)

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best audiobooks ever, Oct. 17 2003
Before I get into the review, I have to say that this is one of the best books I've listened to yet.
When I first saw two authors in the credits, I thought it was going to stink, especially since I've
never read anything by either of them before. And Rene Auberjonois isn't exactly the type of
person I thought would read a book well. But I was desperate for a book to listen to on one of my
trips and downloaded this from Audible.com, then crossed my fingers.
I soon uncrossed them after the first few minutes. Flipping between the late 19th century and
present day, the reader learns about cabinets of curiosities, basically mini-"museums" set up in
New York City by collector of oddities. There were actually quite a few in those days.
Then it's present day and at a construction site, all work has stopped. In the basement of an old
apartment building being razed, an underground charnel house is discovered. Bones of 36 murder
victims from the late 1800s are found in little alcoves in the charnel house, some with clothing
and hair still attached. Archaeologist Nora Kelly is called in from the Museum of Natural History
by an FBI Agent by the name of Pendergast (no first name). She can't figure out why she's there,
but looks at the remains and finds herself embroiled in a battle of the FBI versus local cops when
the owner of the property tries to get them kicked out. Nora pockets some of the things she finds
on one body, tucking them in her clothes.
It turns out these were victims of a serial killer in what was then known as the Five Points
neighborhood in the late 1880s. Nora's love interest, William Smithback, is a freelance
journalist, and smells a story. When she and Pendergast discover some incriminating evidence
about the murders, she entrusts a diary to William and he ends up writing an article, blowing the
whole story, but tying them into some murders that had already been going on recently.
No one believes the serial killer could possible still be alive, but it's obvious the copycat is good,
too good, because the victim's spinal cords have been ripped out in the same way. Yes, I wrote
ripped out. Ee-yew.
Pendergast and Nora use the clues from the diary and trace a possible lab back to what is now
Chinatown and discover the lab in an underground chamber. The owner of that lab had been
looking for the answer to eternal life and thought spinal cords were the answer. Racing to try to
find out who the present-day serial killer could be, and scared at who they think he may be,
Pendergast and Nora race to a long-abandoned mansion, only to find that William was already
there and his back isn't looking too good.
The most intriguing part of this book was when Pendergast would "meditate" and take himself
back to the 1880s. I mean, really take himself back there. It was weird, but it fit in with the story
and sure as heck surprised me. Nora isn't a gung ho heroine, but she's not wimp, either. William,
her erstwhile lover/boyfriend, is just bumbling enough that you want her to get rid of him, but
endearing enough, you want her to hang onto him. Pendergast is not your typical FBI agent, nor
is he like Mulder in the X-Files. And the killer, phew, wait until you see who he is.

2.0 out of 5 stars "E" for effort but not memorable..., Oct. 9 2003
This review is from: The Cabinet of Curiosities (Mass Market Paperback)
Sometimes authors become too ambitious in their effort to create a blend of genre. This is an excellent example. Cross-genre works but it takes great craftsmanship. Preston and Child obviously have the necessary background to provoke and intrigue us on an intellectual level with in this case "urban archeology" and the inner machinations of the world of academics within a museum, but fail in the arena of mystery and horror and police procedural by trying to do all three.
They take a page from Caleb Carr's "The Alienist," another from Doyle's Holmes the calculating thinking-machine detective and attempt to blend these with a modern day thriller and historical horror novel. Let's examine agent Pendergast; the personification of the intellectual, refined consulting detective. A gentleman of independent means with the uncanny abilities of the psychic detectives of classic mystery. But he's an FBI agent on a never-ending unofficial investigation. Now that's too much of a stretch even for those who, apparently like the authors, have no working knowledge of the overriding bureaucratic nature of the FBI. Agents don't just leave their field office in New Orleans and travel to New York City and operate on an independent basis. Okay, you say this is fiction. Yes, but fiction must conform to dictate that the reader can suspend disbelief.
I found myself completely unable to suspend disbelief. And even if they had come up with a more plausible background for Pendergast, he comes off as a lifeless stick figure walking through scenes. Be honest--did you see any of the manic intensity and drive of Sherlock Holmes here? No. Only a skeletal figure who never even tantalizes us with subtle hints along the path. Teaming him with the plodding but loyal Irish NYPD cop should have given them more than enough fodder for character development. For well-written variation on Holmes read Mark Frost's "The List of Seven" and "The Six Messiahs."
The same holds true for our heroine, Dr. Nora Kelly. We never really get into her head and receive more then the slightest explanation for her motivation, her willingness to accept the challenge and risk here career to aid Pendergast.
Perhaps this is do to the authors attempt to escape any stigma of the "HORROR" novel.
However, by never really giving us a complex plot driven mystery (i.e. The Da Vinci Code), and by never achieving a truly visceral feeling of dread, the reader is left with an empty puzzle box and an empty coffin. Writers such as Thomas Harris are able to place their well fleshed out characters in true jeopardy at the hands of updated versions of the classic stock-in-trade villains of horror. His Hannibal Lecter is an amalgamation of Count Dracula and the Mad Scientist who is dropped into the middle of a modern thriller.
"The Relic" was less ambitious, but hit the mark.. I think Preston and Child would be better served if they gave up trying to cloak their "bat wings" in an Inverness cape or a trench coat. In plain English: stop holding back and write an honest to God horror novel first and then, if they feel compelled to have it shelved in the Thriller isle at BORDERS, build a hard-nosed police procedural around it.

The Cabinet of Curiosities
The Cabinet of Curiosities by Lincoln Child (Mass Market Paperback - May 27 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01