THE LUCKY ONE is another great read from master storyteller Nicholas Sparks. Here we are given a story with a slightly darker edge and far more suspense then his usual soppy romance. Dog lovers and fans of THE GUARDIAN in particular will appreciate this engaging romantic suspense.

One of the great (or not so great) things about Nicholas Sparks is that he...
Published on Feb. 26 2010 by Buggy

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
True to Nicholas Sparks, the book is kind of mushy romance with the live interest acting to help or save the heroine. You kniw that going in though
Published 9 months ago by Ashley Mazzei

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars WELL TOLD, ROMANTIC, SUSPENSEFUL AND ULTIMATELY HARD TO PUT DOWN, Feb. 26 2010
Buggy "SUNNIE Day reader" (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lucky One (Paperback)

One of the great (or not so great) things about Nicholas Sparks is that he doesn't always give you a happy ending and it was with this in mind that about half way through (just as the flood waters started to rise, secrets began boiling to the surface and I was completely invested in the characters and their budding love story) I began to get nervous for the ending. I mean you just knew something bad was going to happen, the clues were all there but the real question that kept me turning pages at a frantic pace was... to who?

Each chapter here has been written from a different characters POV incorporating Elizabeth; a divorced mother with a young son who along with her no-nonsense Nana run a dog kennel in their small North Carolina town, Clayton her ex-husband and the town sheriff (bully) comes from a influential family yet harbours some nasty little secrets and Thibault as our hero. An Iraq war veteran, Logan Thibault alongside his dog Zeus has walked (yes walked) from Colorado in an obsessive search for the unknown woman in a photograph he found during his three harrowing tours of duty in Iraq. He believes the picture to be his good luck charm and directly responsible for keeping him alive. In the end all the characters merge for a predictable yet ultimately nail-biting ending.

The last chapter is very, very sneaky with Sparks keeping you on pins for pages before finally giving up the ending of which I had no clue. I fell in love with all of these well fleshed out characters, each coming with rich personalities and history including several flashbacks. The love story is well done and as I said before not too soppy. Thibault is a quiet, tortured hero and just so damn lovely with Beth perfect as his caring yet tough partner. The antagonist is creepy and also well written yet because of who he is you can't really wish him dead. Sheesh, I even fell for the boy and the dog. So yeah, I highly recommend another Nicholas Sparks novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10 2014
This review is from: The Lucky One (Mass Market Paperback)
Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, June 21 2014
This review is from: The Lucky One (Kindle Edition)
I liked the book better than the movie but that's not surprising I would read it again. I loved it

5.0 out of 5 stars HAD ME IN TEARS, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: The Lucky One (Kindle Edition)
I believe the book is leaps and bounds better than the movie. It keeps you interested and shocks you at the end.

Lovely book. I was in tears at the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, Dec 27 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!, June 23 2013
This review is from: The Lucky One (Kindle Edition)
Liked how much more detail was in the book compared to the movie. I gave it a 5 because its just an all around good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite, May 23 2013
This review is from: The Lucky One (Kindle Edition)
Loved everything about this story. It was over too quickly. Wish I had a dog like Zeus. Relieved by the happy ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, May 11 2013
This review is from: The Lucky One (Paperback)
I found this to be an enjoyable and easy read. I appreciated the way the writer gave a chapter to each of the characters and thus their perspective on what was going on. Sparks doesn't always have a predicable ending and this didn't disappoint.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lucky One, April 29 2013
This review is from: The Lucky One (Kindle Edition)
A good reading novel, kept my attention well during reading and a wonderful ending. A good choice for my reading

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Ride, March 29 2013
This review is from: The Lucky One (Mass Market Paperback)
Ok, let me be honest, I've never really been a Fiction Fan. I'm the book lover who can always be found in the Nonfiction section. I hadn't gotten around to picking up more books when I took ill. A male friend suggested a book by Nicholas Sparks. "He wrote the Notebook" I was told. Desperate for something to read while recuperating I was lucky enough to find this book. I couldn't (nor wanted) to put this book down. This book had more twist, turns
and loopdy loops, than an Amusement park rides. This may be sexist, but, boy does this man KNOW how to write. I've already purchased more of his books. Coming from a ONLY Nonfiction reader, I'm now a HUGE Fan!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Lucky One
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (Mass Market Paperback - July 1 2010)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54