Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 26, 2010
THE LUCKY ONE is another great read from master storyteller Nicholas Sparks. Here we are given a story with a slightly darker edge and far more suspense then his usual soppy romance. Dog lovers and fans of THE GUARDIAN in particular will appreciate this engaging romantic suspense.

One of the great (or not so great) things about Nicholas Sparks is that he doesn't always give you a happy ending and it was with this in mind that about half way through (just as the flood waters started to rise, secrets began boiling to the surface and I was completely invested in the characters and their budding love story) I began to get nervous for the ending. I mean you just knew something bad was going to happen, the clues were all there but the real question that kept me turning pages at a frantic pace was... to who?

Each chapter here has been written from a different characters POV incorporating Elizabeth; a divorced mother with a young son who along with her no-nonsense Nana run a dog kennel in their small North Carolina town, Clayton her ex-husband and the town sheriff (bully) comes from a influential family yet harbours some nasty little secrets and Thibault as our hero. An Iraq war veteran, Logan Thibault alongside his dog Zeus has walked (yes walked) from Colorado in an obsessive search for the unknown woman in a photograph he found during his three harrowing tours of duty in Iraq. He believes the picture to be his good luck charm and directly responsible for keeping him alive. In the end all the characters merge for a predictable yet ultimately nail-biting ending.

The last chapter is very, very sneaky with Sparks keeping you on pins for pages before finally giving up the ending of which I had no clue. I fell in love with all of these well fleshed out characters, each coming with rich personalities and history including several flashbacks. The love story is well done and as I said before not too soppy. Thibault is a quiet, tortured hero and just so damn lovely with Beth perfect as his caring yet tough partner. The antagonist is creepy and also well written yet because of who he is you can't really wish him dead. Sheesh, I even fell for the boy and the dog. So yeah, I highly recommend another Nicholas Sparks novel.
on July 4, 2012
The Lucky One
By Nicholas Sparks

Light weight-stuff here. Author Nicholas Sparks is one of the major players in the romance genre and for good reason--he can churn this stuff out and fast. Here's another perfect summer read. Not a single surprise and I would imagine that's what people like about his writing.

The story is built around three characters and every other chapter is about each of them. Deputy Keith Clayton opens the tale and right from the get-go you smell a numero uno creep. As he hangs in the bushes snapping pictures of naked co-eds skinny dipping in the river, someone else is watching. Enter player two; Logan Thibault and his well-trained German shepherd, Zeus.

Thibault, a scruffy, long-haired ex-marine, is on a strange mission and he's doing it all on foot. He's hiked from Colorado with a simple pack on his back and a lucky charm in his pocket; a mysterious picture he found while stationed in Kuwait. And (you're not going to believe this) it's of our third character in this triangle of love; Beth Clayton, ex-wife of Keith and mother to their only child, Ben.

"He'd known she was attractive, but the faded photo didn't capture the warmth of her smile or the serious way she studied him, as if searching for hidden flaws."

Early on, you figure he'll find his `Lucky One' but as with all good romance stories, things are never as easy as one-two-three. Conflicts are tossed into the tale faster than you can say Nicholas Sparks loves himself and then, (sorry, he brings out the snark in me) surprise, surprise, an enormous, record-breaking storm blasts into the little town of Hampton, North Carolina and stirs up all sorts of trouble for our cozy trio.

"Beth watched Keith and Logan struggle just before the remaining ropes attached to the central landing snapped. Across the creek, the tree house platform tumbled into the creek in a massive eruption of water, and Ben was whipsawed downstream. In horror, Beth saw that he was still clinging to the rope attached to the central landing, which spiraled into the current..."

Okay, let's be honest here, when you grab a romance novel don't you pretty much know how this thing is going to end? I mean, isn't that why you picked the majorly predictable tome in the first place? Thought so. Sure there was a few twists in this story that were a little, tiny bit surprising, but overall I had this one pegged after the first chapter and there is something fun about reading a well-written story even if you know the girl gets the dude with the long hair in the end.
And woe is me to question that not only can the stud-muffin sway the gal into a mad, passionate love of megawatt-sizzle-your-socks-off magnitude, but the guy can play the piano, is great with the kid and can work a decent game of chess. Oh and he can chop an onion too.

"As Logan walked toward her, he smiled as if reading her mind and opened his arms."
on March 29, 2013
Ok, let me be honest, I've never really been a Fiction Fan. I'm the book lover who can always be found in the Nonfiction section. I hadn't gotten around to picking up more books when I took ill. A male friend suggested a book by Nicholas Sparks. "He wrote the Notebook" I was told. Desperate for something to read while recuperating I was lucky enough to find this book. I couldn't (nor wanted) to put this book down. This book had more twist, turns
and loopdy loops, than an Amusement park rides. This may be sexist, but, boy does this man KNOW how to write. I've already purchased more of his books. Coming from a ONLY Nonfiction reader, I'm now a HUGE Fan!!
on December 12, 2012
I did't like this book at all. It's a formula novel, a love story, where she is perfect and beautiful, and he is perfect and beautiful, and much of the writing I did not find that interesting or original in style. But this book was chosen for our book club and I read it. And I have to say we did have a pretty interesting discussion at club meeting. I doubt I'll ever read another Nicholas Sparks book though. The price was excellent so I didn't feel badly about spending a lot of money. I received a brand new book, paper back and it arrived in a little over week. So was pleased with the service and the product.
on May 14, 2012
I got this book becasue I wanted to read it before the movie came out. I read the whole thing in two days and i really enjoyed it. It was well written and i didn't want to put it down. I really liked the story line and the romance between the two main characters was touching.
As for the movie...they could have done a better job...Misssed alot of parts and poorly done. A big disappointment.
on May 8, 2012
I bought the book because of a great price on Amazon and I needed a little extra to earn free shipping. I liked the flow of the book. My only critique was the 1 dimension of the villain, but the rest of the characters were well rounded and I enjoyed the book a lot.
on May 11, 2013
I found this to be an enjoyable and easy read. I appreciated the way the writer gave a chapter to each of the characters and thus their perspective on what was going on. Sparks doesn't always have a predicable ending and this didn't disappoint.
on February 19, 2013
As usual NIcholas Sparks has created a masterpiece! NO wonder why they are making so many of his novels into movies. His talent is unsurpassed!

If you are a Nicholas Sparks fan, you will not be disappointed.
on December 15, 2012
My wife is the Nicolas Sparks fan and has quite a collection started of his books. She voted this one as awesome as the rest of his work and will definitely be adding to her collection.
on June 8, 2012
This is the second book I have read by Nicholas Sparks and much like the first one I couldn't put this book down! Wasnt expecting the ending, left me wanting more!! A must read!