5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of relief in a soffocating world

Published on June 1 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of relief in a soffocating world, Sept. 5 2002
Tony Bernardo (Silver Spring,MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
The Celestine Prophecy is not the best novel ever written, in fact to some it may seem hookie. What was great about this book, and in my opinion any book, was that it helped me grasp many of the ideas that had been swimming around in my head but could not be put into a working formula. Its one of those books that makes you say "yeah, I knew that, but I couldn't find the words." As the story unfolds so do aspects of the reader's self. Each chapter, or insight, revealed something new about who I was and who I wanted to be.
Many of the ideas discussed in this book are nothing new. They are at the core of many eastern philosophies and are heavily influenced by mysticism. But who cares! Each interpretation of these ideas is in its own way unique. Its like listening to a radio station that plays a certain jeanra of music: each song has a common feel and yet each has its own personality.
All in all, it may not be a literary masterpiece but The Celestine Prophecy is a must read. It will move you in places that have been forgotten, ignored, or that have been suffocoated by the monotonies of western culture and idealogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good the second time around, Aug. 8 2011
SIS (Wainfleet, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read this book many years ago when it first came out. Now that the latest book "The Tenth Insight" has been released l decided that l would start over at the beginning of the series and read it once again and l am glad that l have done so. What a nice surprise this was for me. I can see that l have changed my outlook from when l first read this book. So it is just as good the second time around but for totally different reasons. Anyone who enjoys reading books that talk about how we are evolving into a new spirituality will enjoy this book. Even though it is fiction the basis of the book is based on truth about how human kind is evolving into a new way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Celestine Prophecy, March 21 2008
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
The Celestine Prophecy is one of my favorite classic spiritual fiction journeys. The book follows the personal growth of one man as he follows a mysterious query about an ancient manuscript. An old friend happens to drop by and tells him about an ancient Peruvian manuscript dating back to 600 BC. This relic tells of a shift in the mind thought of the world starting at the end of the 20th century. The key to this shift are nine insights that must be gained, understood, and integrated into the mind and lives of individuals.

Intrigued by the possibilities, the main character travels to Peru in hopes of finding out more about this mystery. With no real direction or plan, at each step he is helped along by coincidence and others following the same quest. Along the way, he also learns about himself, his connection to the universe, and his part in this evolutionary process.

2.0 out of 5 stars Geographically inaccurate, June 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
The book is not that bad and the insight stuff is actually interesting but I couldn't take anything serious in this book because I realize the author never bother to visit Peru. If he ever visited Perú he coudn't have say that he arrived to Machu Pichu by car, that's impossible!! Also, the author does not describe accurately any of the places visited in the book, and the distances between places are impossible. And the worst thing of all: he actually said that the Mayas were in Peru!! Totally wrong!!! The INCAS, not the MAYAS were the ones living in Peru thousands of years ago!! (the Mayan empire extended from central america to the south of Mexico). Could the autor at least have done the minimun research so not to insult the reader??? And what about that EVERYONE in Peru just happen to speak english? In the interior of Peru, people speaks QUECHUA, not spanish, how come they will be able to speak and understand english?? I can continue complaining but what's the point? Everything seems just fake...Sorry...

5.0 out of 5 stars This story deserves to be read and remembered, Jan. 2 2012
David Sabine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I read this book in my early 20s. I was deeply effected and I'm sure it has influence my personal philosophy as I've grown older.

1.0 out of 5 stars Celestine Travesty, March 9 2004
RubyK (Studio City, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
About 6 years ago, post-college, I bought this book, as several acquaintances who SEEMED to be very bright and inspired recommended it to me, with a sly wink and a knowing nod and a comment like, "THIS BOOK WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE". I took it with me on a visit to Paris, opened it up at a small, artsy cafe, thinking that if I were on the verge of being extraordinarily enlightened, it had better happen somewhere pretentious and beatnik-y. I spent the afternoon laughing out loud and sharing various amateurly-written excerpts with my roommate. We had tears rolling down our cheeks, disbelieving of the fact that someone went as far as to PUBLISH this pile of rubbish and that it purports to be so deeeeeep. The ONLY reason I managed to get through the book is that I was dying to know what the hype was all about and how so many people could be swayed/inspired by this stupid, melodramatic story and by the writing style, reminiscent of my own early elementary school creative writing attempts. I wanted to discover the big mysterious epiphany about which everyone had been raving. Turns out, there wasn't one. I consider myself to be quite down-to-earth, spiritual and open-minded; yet while slogging through this foolish tripe, felt as if some dirty, demented hippie had just puked up the literary equivalent of The Woodstock Brown Acid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, May 10 2004
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
My mate Derick recommended this book. He said it was good, so I bought it. Its okay. Its not great, it's just okay. Derick likes broccoli and peas, mind, which I don't like. So I suppose we have different tastes. Yes. That explains it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts weak, gets worse, ends totally embarassing, Sept. 29 1997
By A Customer
I had high hopes for this book since I have always enjoyed thought-provoking fiction but was I ever let down! I kept giving it one more chance, thinking it would pick up or turn around but it kept getting worse. Towards the end I had to stop the tape a few times out of embarrassment for the author. I was glad I was listening alone in my car so no one could see or hear that I was actually listening to this drivel. The fact that apparently millions have bought this must be an indicator of how shallow and mentally vapid our society has become.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good message,but....., Nov. 20 2012
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
I'm all about positive thinking, the secret, energy and all that jazz, so this book was right up my alley. However I was bored. At first i thought it was because this idea wasn't entirely new to me, so it wasn't a mind blowing realization. But no, it was just because it fell short. I didn't even finish it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It will help guide you, June 22 2011
S. Jager - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Celestine Prophecy (Paperback)
The only other books that have brought me into a space of deep reflection, honest contemplation and true discipline are from Carlos Castenada.
James Redfield writes in the way that allows readers to implement the message - without knowing it. It does not violate free will with that ability...but if you agree, if you remember that there is something greater to your life, to your purpose here and if you've ever asked yourself if there is more to your life - then it will impact you in the deepest of ways.
There is nothing hokey or cheesy or condescending about his writing.
He is articulate, thoughtful, conscientious and respectful. His writing flows. The subject matter flows. The imagery grows and grows and you may find yourself becoming that adventurer, that searcher, researcher etc. that you thought you'd always be...your life will open up. The meaning of your life will seem explained - not in a mathematical formula style or a how-to book style...but the intuitive nature, the whisperings that seem to have guided you; this book will allow you to feel normal, to be connected with those whisperings and feel confident in coincidences and welcome your gut feelings to take the lead rather than fall humilated in the background of a flat, unrealized existence.

The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00