Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 95 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on July 4, 2004
Ive just read alot of the reviews on this page, and was surpired by the way they describe the book and its prose. I actually thought the book was very good, I really liked it and found it quite insightful. It got me thinking about alot of things, and I feel as if I learned something new. Im ony 16 years old, and I havent read much on the subject, so I have nothing to compare this book to, but I would recomend that you read it.
As for Jeremy Floyd, you did a good job letting us all know how intelligent and what an intellectual you are. I dont say that with the intention to criticize, I just think you came off a bit like a pretentious genius.
Anyhow, read the book and see what you think, you might like it and take my side, or you might not and take Jeremy's side. Im now moving on to a different book, Hermann Hesse's "Demian". When I finish it I will write a review for it based on my ignorant points of view on the subject, but then again, weren't we all ignorant and 16 at some point in our lives?
on May 12, 2004
I'd put this book on the other end of the bell curve as compared with Deepak Chopra's "Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire;" they both in essence speak to the same message, one a very simply written, allegorical fiction, the other a rather complex read. (see that Amazon review.)
It's the message that counts! We are all connected. We must realize this connectiveness that extends to the energy of the universe and includes the forests that we are quickly eliminating because we cannot see this connection with our eyes. The answer to peace is to seek it from within and utilize the remaining bits of nature to help show us the way as the character in this book does. I will continue to believe in the power of human potential for constructive rather than destructive greatness and you can too by examining your own contributions or detractions from the whole.
Even for me this story line is arguably a bit far fetched but it still echoes the dangerous patterns of behavior that lead us humans the wrong direction and offers some solutions on the journey that you may have heard before but maybe this time it will stick (like eat your vegetables for energy!)
This book is worth the very quick read that it affords, to see what insights you might garner, or just to stop for a moment under a shady tree, read and drink in the energy, before you continue on the adventure of life!
on May 3, 2004
I came to this section of Amazon while following the directions of class I am taking.. Introduction to Database Development.
I was instructed to search for a book I had read and then scroll to the reader comment section... I can not believe people are still commenting so strongly on this book. Personally it was very inspiring and life changing for me when I read it 10 years ago when I was thirty. This information was just coming into main stream America. It's important to put it into historical perpective based on your location in America... As would be expected from people in California this information in 1993 would not be new.. but to some of us in the northeast it was shattering. What I love about the celestine prophecy is that you can take from it what you wish.. it's a parable.. just like the parables from the bible. Just a simple story to convey some ideas.. take it or leave it. It was an easy read that I enjoyed one winter weekend while it snowed. It makes for fun conversation when you talk about energy exchanges and energy vampires. It's been useful when understanding how different people react to the same situation.
So if you are looking for light adventure story with a great self publishing story.. enjoy the book.. if you feel the need to compare to great works of literature and that is entertaining to you then open you mind and enjoy.. or if you are so inclined take a red pen and mark it up like an english teacher... it's your life.. enjoy!
on August 11, 2003
I just have one question for Jame Redfield -- How much of this book is just fiction that you made up, and how much of it do you really beleive??
In the Celestine Prophecy, Redfield takes you through an adventure that seems very realistic except for the extraordinary spiritual revelations and experiences of the main character. The book basically brings the reader through a series of spiritual insights (nine of them in nine chapters) that are meant to cause a spiritual evolutionary leap for humankind. While many of these insights ring true (such as the preoccupation people have with work, and the fight over energy between people), some of them are really long shots (such as the final insight, in which people become invisible except to others who have also achieved complete connection witht he universe).
I would like to think that Redfield was inspired to write this book by some kind of higher power, and there might actually be some kind of divine future for the human race on this world (a world in which we would all live alongside nature, in huge forests, with all of our needs met by automated machines, and no need to work), but I really have a hard time in believing that such is the case. I do think that people would benefit by becoming more connected with nature, and with the energy of others. And I do think that the future that we are headed for right now will produce something far worse that what Redfield predicts in this book.
I strongly reccomend this book for everyone to read. It is not some kind of weird new age book with a bunch of complex and hard to understand ideals of a cult leader. It is an entertaining adventure novel that rings true in many ways and might give everyone something to think about in their day to day lives. However, I do caution people who might take it a bit too seriously (I personally know some of these people). It is a unique story, but it is only a story.
Ahh.. go read it for yourself!
on September 17, 2002
. . . and yes, the author is making a dumptruck load of cash from it and its sequels and its newsletter and its website and his seminars and retreats. BUT it's also a very inspirational book which HAS in fact helped a lot of people look at life in an entirely new way. Yeah, the author is making money and has turned his teachings into an enterprise, but so has every major religion in the world and I don't see anyone whining about that. You want to talk about cynicism? L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, was quoted as saying "If you want to become a rich man, the easiest way is to start your own religion." Well, he was right. Any creative person with a basic understanding of spirituality, physics, and psychology can introduce their own ideas about spirituality. But this is where ALL faith has come from since Cro-Magnon times. Whatever faith you follow from old systems like Christianity and Taoism to newer ones like Mormonism and Scientology, they all came from the ideas of one person who was persecuted for his beliefs when he first started out. Some people wonder if the author of the Celestine Prophecy really believes his ideas, or if he just did it to cash in. Well, it really doesn't matter. There are millions of people out there who were inspired by it, and in their concious reality it makes a huge difference in their lives whether Joe Blow in Kokomo, Illinois believes it or not. The people who slam the author as a cynical jerk who's just counting his money and laughing at all the hemp necklace wearing moon maidens who read his books are just jealous. They wish they had the creativity to write a book like this and make this kind of cash instead of just sitting around wearing Che Guevera t-shirts and despising Capitalism from their $1,500 computer to make a trendy statement.
on April 12, 2002
The book The Celestine Prophecy is a motivational book that is uplifting and entertaining. Redfield does a wonderful job at catching the audience's attention, connecting the first insight to an experience that most people have had. From the beginning, The Celestine Prophecy is filled with action. The main character's interventions with fate are usually suspenseful, although the action quickly falls into a predictable pattern between the unveiling of each insight. The run-ins with the Peruvian government and the help from other "insight" searchers all lead to the proceeding insight. This pattern continues on though the book.
The insights themselves are very uplifting and motivational. The author does a terrific job relating the insights to the audience's own lives. The insights explain how past events relate to future accuracies. After reading each insight the reader is able to relate past experiences and assess them through what they just read.
The Celestine Prophecy although predictable plot wise, is a very moving book. After reading about the insights and relating them to personal experiences it has the power to reshape lives. The uplifting direction that this book takes you is astonishing. The insights allow the reader to understand why they are where they are and what to look for to move on and up in life.
on March 6, 2002
_The Celestine Prophecy_ reads as a passable adventure/mystery novel, but its true strength lies in how we can use the "Insights" contained within it to better ourselves and others.
While a growing cult of fanatical followers might give the book a bad name, one shouldn't dismiss Redfield as simply another charlatan preying on the spiritual thirst so many people have in our times - in other words, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There's some very wise writing here, in amidst other...not-so-wise bits. However, when I read certain parts of this novel, they resonated very deeply.
I have carried with me the ideas and insights that felt like truth in the years since I read this book, and they are still a part of me today. Not all of the book is full of great revelations, and some of it is frankly eye-rollingly awful. You may be wondering, with the review I've written here, why I gave _The Celestine Prophecies_ 4 stars; overall, I believe it's a book that *could* change many peoples' lives for the better, perhaps turning them from a more selfish, cold perspective to an altruistic outlook.
It's definitely not a book For Everyone, but I do recommend it for those who believe there's more to life than what's right in front of our eyes.
on December 27, 2001
THis is the first book that I read from this Genre, Spiritual, inspirational fiction. I loved it. It clawed my mind open. It was actually a painful process. But in the end I was made better. It was a good pain. THis book is a must for any spiritual seeker. It has some incredible truths and it is presented in an interesting and somewhat adventurous story. It is presented in a very simple format, but is very effective in it's style that doesn't try to do too much. This is why I give it 4 stars though I'd prefer to give it 4 and a half. The writing could be better. But like I said it is highly effective as is. ANd the Author's heart is definitely felt through the pages. I am glad that this book fell into my hands. It was the type of book that I had been searching for my whole life some 6 years ago. It is the book that I have mentioned the most to poeple to check out. I am surprised at how it's popularity has dropped some because I find it still much more compelling than most if not all of the other spiritual fiction that is out today. If you like this book you will love The Tenth Insight which starts slow but has some incredible truths in it's pages as well. THis book is a Seeker's must.
on December 11, 2001
I find it amazing that by scrolling down this page I see reviews with numbers of 1 or 5. (...) This book isn't some adventure. These "intelligent" people are babbling about how it's not a "Prophecy" and then talk about Steven Hawking? What ARE you talking about?
Get it stright (...) - this book is Eastern Thought in a way Westerners (obviously not ALL Westerners...) can understand easily. How many of you guys could read the Tao Te Ching without ripping out your hair because of the "lack of plotline"? Or go and look at the T'ai Chi Bibles (I reccomend Waysun Lao's translation by Shambhala Production). In fact, go read anything by Shambhala and then come back and read this book. You will get a lot more out of it than "Boo hoo, there's no real Celestine Prophecy."
The story itself is OK. The thought-provocation is what is really insightful (no pun intended). I wrote down the insights, and noticed that ALL of them match up to Taoist concepts. So, to all these people whining about how this book was just some novel and they want more substance, go check out the I Ching, it'll knock you on your (backside).
But, for God's sake, stop saying this has no merit. Full of grammatical errors, are you serious? I'd love to see a raise of hands of the average people who care about that. THEY DON'T! The point was the story and the concepts, not the actual literary exceptionality (I don't think that's a word, but that proves my point!). Seriously, for everyone complaining about how it wasn't a good book for whatever reason, go check out Tao Te Ching or I Ching. I'll bet you won't get that either. Fact is you're not upset because the book (is bad), you're mad because you can't get past the fact that the book (is bad).
on November 28, 2001
I enjoyed this book immensely, (...). Was I "taken in?" Did I unintentionally sacrifice my intellectualism for the cheap thrill of a simplistic philosophy from a childlike hippie? So I feared as I poured through scathing assessments and derisive mockings of the tenets put forth in the book.
So much has already been written, that I feel there's only a little that I can add -- but I'll add it anyways.
This book reads more like a Socratic dialogue than an actual believable tale. Some have criticized the so-called plot; when really, the plot serves only as a vehicle to take you to the next lesson. Each "insight" is presented as a topic for discussion, often with an example of the insight's application through the narrator's success or failure at realizing its meaning. So you've got stuffy philsophical, dare I say "new age" topics wrapped in an easily digestible format than a academic dissertation or a sociology textbook would present.
This stuff isn't new. The philosophy espoused will never be adopted by everyone. But boy is it neat to imagine the world if these "Insights" were actually true. Okay, I just came off reading some of John Edward's books and some of Richard Bach's books, so I was well-prepared to digest this one. Whether you're a follower of Eastern philosophy or a Star Wars fan, you probably are receptive to the idea of a latent energy inherent in the world, and this book constructs a fanciful explanation of that energy that, with a little suspension of disbelief, warms your heart.