4.0 out of 5 stars Good first introduction, BUT...
Published on Nov. 5 2006 by An expat based in Shanghai

3.0 out of 5 stars useful but not insights
Published on May 30 2006 by china-life 20 years

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first introduction, BUT..., Nov. 5 2006
This review is from: Chinese Business Etiquette: A Guide to Protocol, Manners, and Culture in thePeople's Republic of China (Paperback)
I bought the first edition of this book (previously called Dealing with the Chinese) in the early 1990s when I had to make my first business trip to China. Over the years, it has allowed me to be a bit more inspective of my own behaviour and those around me, and has helped me avoid social faux pas when dealing with the Chinese. So, if you are planning your first trips to there, you should read it, which has useful information and is also a light read.

However, as our company's commitment to China has deepened from initial export to long-term investment, I have found that I urgently need another book to inspire me to deal with the China investment challenge, which involves not only basic business etiquette (which Seligman has entertainingly dealt with), but also more profound issues like market, management, leadership and strategy. To be sure, there are many books published in the West on the above topics but they have all been written for the Western business environment.

Of course, there have been new books on China business too, but most of them came out either supporting the great hype about the "new economy" or offering no added value except to "reveal" to the world what had happened to the authors when they were there.

Recently, I have found my long-awaited book, and it is Dr Wang's The China Executive: Marrying Western and Chinese Strengths to Generate Profitability from Your Investment in China.

What a great book! To know why The China Executive is the best book on the topic, you have to buy a copy and read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful!, March 16 2001
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Scott D. Seligman brings his considerable experience working and living in China to this revised and updated edition of his classic guide. James McGregor, the former chairman of the American Chamber of Commerce in China, said the original classic, "should be a mandatory carry-on item for all business travelers to China." More than a how-to, this is an updated, candid, and thorough tour of protocol, manners, and culture. It delves deeply into the reasons for Chinese behaviors, and shows how you can deal effectively with any business or social situation. We at getAbstract recommend this book to anyone visiting or working in China, or dealing with the Chinese professionally or socially in any country.

3.0 out of 5 stars useful but not insights, May 30 2006
Useful for international businessmen going to China. Also discussions are lively and funny, but it lacks insights on the Chinese business world. Based on my 20 year experience doing biz in China, it is not good enough. A more insightful China biz book is wrriten by George Zhibin Gu: China's Global Reach: Markets, multinationals, and Globalization, which contains numerous case studies of foreign business successes and failures. Also its style and presentation is simple and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to working in China!, July 7 2000
Chad Bagley "Chad" (Shanghai China/Provo, UT) - See all my reviews
If you're planning on doing some business in China and are unfamiliar with Chinese customs- do yourself a favor and read this book. Concise, well written and informative, Chinese Business Etiquette is a good introduction to getting by in the Middle Kingdom.
Besides helping you to do business in China, this book can also prevent you from looking like a complete moron in a Chinese social situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, Aug. 15 2002
Paul Lepa (Calgary, AB Canada) - See all my reviews
Facinating and insightfull reading. The information is presented very clearly in an easy to read fasion. The book addresses all of the major areas one would expect to encounter in a business situation. Each section has an bulleted summary for that quick refresher on your way to China.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on how to behave in China, Nov. 17 2002
John Murphy (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Very clear and easy to understand, I recommend that any business traveler to Asia read this to avoid social faux pas. I also recommend that they read "New Asian Emperors" by George Haley to understand how their potential partners or competitors may think.

Chinese Business Etiquette: A Guide to Protocol,  Manners,  and Culture in thePeople's Republic of China
CDN$ 16.50 CDN$ 11.91