5.0 out of 5 stars Writing of the highest quality
This is HUGE-idea science fiction, and pragmatic small-scale everyday literature. In my opinion, this series is the very best of an incredible career. I can't wait to read it all again.
Published 1 month ago by CalltheDoctor

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: this is not a new novel
Published on Oct. 8 2002 by TammyJo Eckhart

5.0 out of 5 stars Writing of the highest quality, June 24 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars The dangers of being saved., June 4 2004
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Some time ago I've read for the first time a book from Ms Butler. I was captivated by her amazing imagination and quality of her prose and became instantly a fan of the author. This first impression was corroborated as I read more of her writings.
All her books showed a rich mixture of imagination, complex and interesting characters and conflictive situations to test their mettle.
"Lilith's Brood" is not an exception to Ms. Butler production. Humans had self destroyed but miraculously an alien race, the Onkalis, came to the rescue.
The Onkalis traveled eons and genetically mix with other alien species, evolving each time with the exchange. They are a three gender race and their sight produces an overwhelming rejection reaction in human beings. Is it possible to overcome this? Ms. Butler shows all possible reactions through the characters of her novels. Onkalis also have mixed reactions to Humans. They are uncertain on how to handle them. Save them against their will? Enforce their view point? This and other candent questions are addressed. Their resolution is not simple and in this complexity a rich story evolves.
High science fiction stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the biology of compassion, April 8 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Lilith's Brood is probably the most theologically and philosophically compelling science fiction I've ever read. Butler's talent for explaining our condition without invoking stereotypes of race and gender makes hers a rare talent indeed. Butler's Oankali/Human hybrids present to us, in their very flesh, the struggle between power and morality that gives her characters their ethical complexity and appeal.

5.0 out of 5 stars What was I waiting for?, April 7 2003
Jeramie D. Shake "njingi" (Tuckerton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
I purchased this trilogy, bound quite differently, from the SF/F Book Club many many years ago. The cover was so childish and stupid-looking I actually never read it.
I ran out of things to read lately and noticed it.
My goodness.
The story explains the almost-end of human civilization, and the subsequent "saving" of it by an alien race. But the only way the aliens will "save" humanity is by genetically altering it to be something completely different. The three books mainly deal with humans' reactions to this. Some would rather die than be changed. Some would rather live and be changed. Some would rather kill the ones who want to live, so the change won't happen to anyone.
What's fascinating about the series is the way the focus changes throughout. The first book is written in third person, and is focused entirely on Lilith, a human. The second book is also written in third person, but focuses entirely on Akin, a child born of the union (sort of) between Lilith and an alien. The third book also focuses entirely on a human/alien child (sort of) named Jodahs, but this time in first person. What this change of focus accomplishes is amazing; it draws the reader closer into the aliens' culture and motivations just as the characters are drawn in closer. I didn't actively notice this while I was reading, but after thinking about what I had read, I realized it. I like that very much.
Very detailed, and incredibly realistic. And left rather open-ended, which is a good thing as far as this series is concerned. It's grand enough to be left open and still not leave the reader aching for more.
One thing I don't like, though. "Lilith's Brood" as a title makes no sense. Lilith is a background character after the first book. The original name was "XenoGenesis", and I find it much more appropriate. But that's not the author's fault, I'm sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful !, Jan. 24 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Octavia Butler is by far my favorite author. This compliation is the perfect place to start if you've never read any of her work. I can't recommend it highly enough. This is the kind of book you will read again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning: this is not a new novel, Oct. 8 2002
TammyJo Eckhart "TammyJo Eckhart" (Bloomington, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Before you buy this book be very careful. The description is horrible for this book. It is not a new Octavia Butler novel but instead a collection of three of her novels. So if you already own "Dawn," "Adulthood Rites," and "Imago" do not order this book. I highly recommend the three novels -- they are wonderful examples of her work -- so if you do not already own them, this is a "better buy" if you really like Butler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a story!, June 10 2002
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
This was my third book by Mrs. Butler, and she has not let me down. I really loved this story, it was amazing and realistic. I didn't like sci-fi until I read her (octavia's) books. Thanks for writing something I can read and enjoy as well as pass it along to my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Science Fiction in Framework Only.,, March 17 2002
Kent Rasmussen (Saint Helena, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Lilth's Brood is a great read on two different planes, either of which would have been sufficient to make it a good book. The first is the story, it is creative, unique and plausable--not just a wild flight of science fiction fantasy! The briefest of summaries--the earth distroys itself in war, an alien race rescues the few remaining people, but as payment for the rescue "trades" with them, the trade being genentic material, and thus a new being is created as a combination of the two. The second plane of the book is the deep, complex look that Butler takes into the soul of the human race, human sexuality, human society and human morals--all using the facade of the alien race's needs and desires as the looking-glass. This is the most facinating aspect of the book. Butler's ability to express emotional need and yearning is amazing, and very real. She must be a wonderful person herself to even understand this aspect of the human soul.
This book illustrates the need for cleaner defintions of the genre "science fiction". It is a book that would appeal more to readers of serious psychological work than science fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars oooooowhee..OOLOI, Dec 30 2001
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
Wild Seed must be the continuation of Lilith's Brood (Now that was an excellent book). No matter, this is an intense, realistic, great story. As one reader stated in her review, the story made you dream about it while you are sleeping. Everthing was so vivid.
The last story Imago was the most interested one in the series, however, the other two in the series were just as wonderful. I so much enjoyed reading this book it was in my hand every chance my Boyfriend would let me have.
Sorry Anne no more vampires for me I want to grow up to be an Ooloi.
My advice, don't stop reading just because the stories are over read the author's note in the back of the book.
Enjoy, I did!
Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Draws you in and doesn't let go, Aug. 23 2001
moonstealer (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lilith's Brood (Paperback)
The books in this compilation were the first books I read by this author but certainly not the last. Ms. Butler does a wonderful job of making the reader feel what her characters feel and beautifully describes the complex feelings that the two races, human and oankali, have for each other. Ideas that start out as unplatable to the reader as to the characters become with time, acceptable and even desirable, as surely the author intended. I just finished the last book in the trilogy, "Imago" and I'm sitting here wishing there was more.

Lilith's Brood
Lilith's Brood by Octavia E. Butler (Paperback - June 1 2000)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.16